walmart workers go on strike

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

short

Sicc OG
Feb 2, 2006
Wal-mart Workers Strike for Better Jobs - US Business News - CNBC

There is growing unrest among the ranks at America's largest employer: Wal-mart (WMT).
Workers from a dozen stores in the Los Angeles-area went on a one-day strike Thursday "in the first-ever Wal-mart Associate walk-out in protest of attempts to silence and retaliate against workers for speaking out for improvements on the job," according to a press release from the strike's organizers
More than 200 workers walked off the job and ended the day at a rally outside the Pico Rivera location, reports The New York Times.

A handful of community supporters joined the fight, including Dr. Jose Moreno, Executive Director of Los Amigos, Maria Elena Durazo, Secretary-Treasurer of the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor and Rev. Eric Lee, Southern Christian Leadership Conference.
Community organizers are asking "Wal-mart and Chairman Rob Walton to address take home pay so low that Associates are forced to rely on public programs to supporttheir families and understaffing that is keeping workers from receiving sufficient hours and is also hurting customer service," according to the release.

"We cannot stand by while the country's largest employer tries to silence workers who stand up for a better future for their families," said Durazo. "We are here to tell Wal-mart the company must change the way it treats workers and our community. Our city and our country need big profitable corporations like Walmart and billionaires like the Waltons to take responsibility for rebuilding our economy — and stop squeezing the middle class to the breaking point."
"OUR Walmart" is one of the nationwide moments fighting for change.
On Monday, The Daily Ticker spoke to "OUR Walmart" member Jackie Goebel, a Wisconsin-based Wal-mart employee. She said she makes just under $19 an hour and has worked for the company for 25 years.
"When I started, you got merit raises, a yearly raise and a raise at 90 days," said Goebel. "My pay has been capped for 6 years. I have no hopes of ever getting another pay raise probably."
Responding to the critique by "OUR Walmart," Wal-mart spokesperson Fogelman said: "We have some of the best jobs in the industry. We have good pay, affordable benefits and the opportunity for advancement which typically meet or exceed those at majority of competitors include unionized ones."

Apr 11, 2008
WWW.PLEASEATSOMESHIT.COM
the muthafuckas that work at walmart should shut the fuck and be happy somebody gave their dumb ass a job, you only need like an IQ of 38 to work there....

its simple..you want a better job... GO GET ONE, but you have to be able to count past 30 and pull your 50x40 pants up !

they need to change their stock ticker symbol to WTF

Last edited:

infinity

( o )( o )
May 4, 2005
UOENO, CA
the muthafuckas that work at walmart should shut the fuck and be happy somebody gave their dumb ass a job, you only need like an IQ of 38 to work there....

its simple..you want a better job... GO GET ONE, but you have to be able to count past 30 and pull your 50x40 pants up !

they need to change their stock ticker symbol to WTF
lol. he's talking to you Chree

W @whisper 's areolas breh

Filthy_Rich

My fit cost a rack
Oct 22, 2003
www.officialxraided.com
She said she makes just under $19 an hour and has worked for the company for 25 years. "When I started, you got merit raises, a yearly raise and a raise at 90 days," said Goebel. "My pay has been capped for 6 years. I have no hopes of ever getting another pay raise probably."
Funny how much you can tell about someone based on two sentences.

A yearly raise is not the same as a merit raise. You get a merit raise when you work really hard and your boss decides that you deserve more money. It's based on MERIT, not time served. Not likely to happen at WalMart because her coworkers would no doubt find out about her raise and claim favoritism, discrimination, foul play, etc.

And her pay is probably capped because she's reached the top of her pay scale. Most places put a cap on how much they're willing to pay for any position. If you're getting yearly raises, you should probably reach the max within 20 years. You don't just get a weak ass cashier job and continue to get raises until you retire. Eventually you have to move on or move up to get more money.