Twitter IPO / Who Buyin?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
Nearly half of Obamacare co-ops are closing
Nearly half of the 23 non-profit insurance plans created under Obamacare in 2011 at a cost of $2.4 billion have announced they will close by the end of the year.

Utah’s Arches Health Plan on Tuesday became the 10th health insurance co-op to announce that it was closing its doors. The move comes soon after the Obama administration’s decision on Oct. 1 to provide just 12.6 percent of the $2.87 billion that insurers were seeking to offset losses caused by unexpectedly high coverage costs.

That decision -- to decimate funding of a “risk corridor” program designed to reimburse insurers hammered by excessive losses due to a disproportionate share of very sick or elderly enrollees -- is triggering a mass exit of these co-ops from the market.

With a new Affordable Care Act enrollment period beginning on Sunday, many of the co-ops on shaky financial ground must decide before then whether to remain in business or shut their doors.

At least thus far, the Republican-controlled Congress has proven indifferent to their plight and officials in the Department of Health and Human Services have been unwilling to intervene. As a result it is likely that other co-ops will announce they are going out of business by the end of this week. GOP lawmakers say the only solution to the problem is to scrap Obamacare and start over.

Even some senior Senate Democrats, including Sen. Chuck Schumer of New York – a state where more than 150,000 people will be losing their co-op insurance -- told The Fiscal Times last week that they were unaware of the crisis.

Last Friday, Consumers’ Choice Health Insurance Company in South Carolina announced that it, too, was going out of business – a decision that will send about 67,000 people and small businesses scrambling to find new health coverage.

The eight other co-ops that have announced they were closing their doors are in Colorado, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, New York, Nevada, Tennessee and Oregon.

The crisis was foreshadowed earlier this year when the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), which oversees Obamacare, issued warning letters to 11 of the co-ops, placing them under special scrutiny and requiring that they produce a plan of “corrective action.” A report last July by the Inspector General of the Department of Health and Human Services said that 21 of the 23 co-ops reviewed had incurred net losses between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31 in 2014. Moreover, 19 of the 23 showed net financial losses because the claims they received exceeded premium revenue.

“Most of the 23 CO-OPs we reviewed had not met their initial program enrollment and profitability projections as of December 31, 2014,” the report stated. “The low enrollments and net losses might limit the ability of some CO-OPs to repay startup and solvency loans and remain viable and sustainable.”

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
Intel Announces Increase in Quarterly Cash Dividend, 2016 Business Outlook at Annual Investor Meeting

SANTA CLARA, Calif., Nov. 19, 2015 – At Intel Corporation's annual investor meeting today, the company announced that its board of directors has approved an increase in its cash dividend to $1.04 per-share on an annual basis, an eight-cent increase, beginning with the dividend that will be declared in the first quarter of 2016. Intel also provided the 2016 Business Outlook.

"Our financials show that Intel's transformation is underway, and we're forecasting growth for 2016," said Stacy Smith, Intel CFO. "The 2016 dividend increase reflects confidence in the strategy and Intel's ongoing commitment to create value and return cash to shareholders."

At today's investor meeting, Intel CEO Brian Krzanich addressed Intel's strategy to utilize the company's core assets to move into profitable, complementary market segments. He described Intel's Client Computing business as a strong foundation, which delivers healthy profits and critical intellectual property to the rest of Intel. The Data Center, Internet of Things and Memory businesses are expected to be growth engines for the company.

Full-year 2016 Business Outlook
Intel's Business Outlook reflects the impact of a 53 week fiscal 2016.

Revenue: Growth in the mid-single digits.

Gross margin percentage: 62 percent, plus or minus a couple points.

R&D plus MG&A spending: Spending as a percent of revenue is expected to be down half a point.

Capital spending: $10 billion, plus or minus $500 million (includes approximately $1.5 billion for Memory).

Dividend: $1.04 per-share on an annual basis, an eight-cent increase year-over-year, beginning with the dividend that will be declared in the first quarter of 2016.

Supplemental outlook and other information will be provided during today's investor meeting. For the live webcast and presentation materials, visit www.intc.com.

Risk Factors

The above statements and any others in this release that refer to future plans and expectations are forward-looking statements that involve a number of risks and uncertainties. Words such as "anticipates," "expects," "intends," "goals," "plans," "believes," "seeks," "estimates," "continues," "may," "will," "should," and variations of such words and similar expressions are intended to identify such forward-looking statements. Statements that refer to or are based on projections, uncertain events or assumptions also identify forward-looking statements. Many factors could affect Intel's actual results, and variances from Intel's current expectations regarding such factors could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed in these forward-looking statements. Intel presently considers the following to be important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from the company's expectations.

Dividend declarations and the dividend rate are at the discretion of Intel's board of directors, and plans for future dividends may be revised by the board. Intel's dividend program could be affected by changes in Intel's operating results, its capital spending programs, changes in its cash flows and changes in the tax laws, as well as by the level and timing of acquisition and investment activity.

Demand for Intel's products is highly variable and could differ from expectations due to factors including changes in business and economic conditions; consumer confidence or income levels; the introduction, availability and market acceptance of Intel's products, products used together with Intel products and competitors' products; competitive and pricing pressures, including actions taken by competitors; supply constraints and other disruptions affecting customers; changes in customer order patterns including order cancellations; and changes in the level of inventory at customers.

Intel's gross margin percentage could vary significantly from expectations based on capacity utilization; variations in inventory valuation, including variations related to the timing of qualifying products for sale; changes in revenue levels; segment product mix; the timing and execution of the manufacturing ramp and associated costs; excess or obsolete inventory; changes in unit costs; defects or disruptions in the supply of materials or resources; and product manufacturing quality/yields. Variations in gross margin may also be caused by the timing of Intel product introductions and related expenses, including marketing expenses, and Intel's ability to respond quickly to technological developments and to introduce new products or incorporate new features into existing products, which may result in restructuring and asset impairment charges.

Intel's results could be affected by adverse economic, social, political and physical/infrastructure conditions in countries where Intel, its customers or its suppliers operate, including military conflict and other security risks, natural disasters, infrastructure disruptions, health concerns and fluctuations in currency exchange rates. Results may also be affected by the formal or informal imposition by countries of new or revised export and/or import and doing-business regulations, which could be changed without prior notice.

Intel operates in highly competitive industries and its operations have high costs that are either fixed or difficult to reduce in the short term.

The amount, timing and execution of Intel's stock repurchase program could be affected by changes in Intel's priorities for the use of cash, such as operational spending, capital spending, acquisitions, and as a result of changes to Intel's cash flows or changes in tax laws.

Intel's expected tax rate is based on current tax law and current expected income and may be affected by the jurisdictions in which profits are determined to be earned and taxed; changes in the estimates of credits, benefits and deductions; the resolution of issues arising from tax audits with various tax authorities, including payment of interest and penalties; and the ability to realize deferred tax assets.

Gains or losses from equity securities and interest and other could vary from expectations depending on gains or losses on the sale, exchange, change in the fair value or impairments of debt and equity investments, interest rates, cash balances, and changes in fair value of derivative instruments.

Product defects or errata (deviations from published specifications) may adversely impact our expenses, revenues and reputation.

Intel's results could be affected by litigation or regulatory matters involving intellectual property, stockholder, consumer, antitrust, disclosure and other issues. An unfavorable ruling could include monetary damages or an injunction prohibiting Intel from manufacturing or selling one or more products, precluding particular business practices, impacting Intel's ability to design its products, or requiring other remedies such as compulsory licensing of intellectual property.

Intel's results may be affected by the timing of closing of acquisitions, divestitures and other significant transactions. In addition, risks associated with our pending acquisition of Altera are described in the "Forward Looking Statements" paragraph of Intel's press release dated June 1, 2015, which risk factors are incorporated by reference herein.

A detailed discussion of these and other factors that could affect Intel's results is included in Intel's SEC filings, including the company's most recent reports on Forms 10-K and 10-Q and earnings release.

About Intel
Intel (NASDAQ: INTC) is a world leader in computing innovation. The company designs and builds the essential technologies that serve as the foundation for the world's computing devices. As a leader in corporate responsibility and sustainability, Intel also manufactures the world's first commercially available "conflict-free" microprocessors. Additional information about Intel is available at newsroom.intel.com and blogs.intel.com and about Intel's conflict-free efforts at conflictfree.intel.com.

Intel and the Intel logo are trademarks of Intel Corporation in the United States and other countries.

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

Last edited:
May 6, 2002
you think it will hit target?

you still got INTC shares?
I think PMTS will eventually hit, but nothing too soon. It will take a couple of years since it's not that well known right now. The volume is so low which makes it fluctuate so much but I believe it will eventually catch on (or the company will do major buy backs with the future cash).

Yup, I still have INTC.

The only moves I've made recently is I dumped WLL (took a 15% loss) just because I have so much invested in CVX that I don't really need WLL. Plus I wanted to jump into PMTS. Always adding DIS.

I think my IRA contribution this year will be to top off some WFC (Wells Fargo), buy more PMTS, then my traditional DIS.

I've been holding PFE (Pfizer) since $22. Let's see how that big merger goes!

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
BRICS bank may begin borrowing in yuan

The BRICS New Development Bank (NDB) could start operations by borrowing in the Chinese currency, according to the bank’s Vice President Vladimir Kazbekov.
He says the bank will focus on loans in the national currencies of the bank’s potential customers.

“Considering the stability of the Chinese currency and the scale of the Chinese debt market, I think that one of the first steps in providing the New Development Bank with funds may be entering the Chinese market to borrow in yuan," Kazbekov said on Tuesday at the opening of a BRICS media summit in Beijing.

On Monday, the Chinese yuan was included in the IMF Special Drawing Rights (SDR) joining the US dollar, euro, British pound and the Japanese yen.

Kazbekov said the NDB is examining ways of entering the financial markets of other BRICS members, Brazil, Russia, India and South Africa.

"We want to find new flexible instruments of lending, to significantly reduce the time to consider a loan, and try to actively use the model of private-public partnership," he added.

There might be a lack of resources for long-term projects without the active attraction of private capital, according to the NDB Vice President.

NDB was established by the BRICS countries Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa in 2014. Its main goal is to promote sustainable development projects within the BRICS complementing the World Bank. In July the bank opened operations in Shanghai with start-up capital of $50 billion.

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
Toshiba To Cut 7,800 Jobs, Forecasts Record $4.5 Billion Loss

Just in time for CES, consumer electronics giant Toshiba announced another wave of layoffs. This time, the company plans to axe 6,800 jobs in the consumer electronics business. It represents around 30 percent of the consumer electronics division, or 3 percent of Toshiba’s workforce. In addition to these cuts, 1,000 people in the corporate staff will also lose their job as part of an effort to slim down the company.

Toshiba is also selling a plant manufacturing TVs in Indonesia and is looking for a buyer or investor for its health device division. It is working on dismantling Fukushima’s nuclear power plant as well following the March 2011 tsunami.

The company also forecast a record $4.5 billion loss (550 billion yen) for the current fiscal year. This has been a very dark year for the company for a simple reason — an accounting scandal. Ever since the 2008 financial crisis, a few divisions cooked the books over multiple years.

When the scandal broke in July 2015, multiple executives resigned, and the company announced a stark $1.2 billion correction (152 billion yen). The company is still recovering from the scandal.

But that doesn’t explain the $4.5 billion loss. It turns out Toshiba has deeper problems. The company isn’t in great shape at all, especially when it comes to consumer laptops and TVs.

It has become incredibly difficult to generate a profit with a television business due to Korean and Chinese competitors. As for laptops, the PC market has been falling, and Toshiba is just another OEM with very few differentiating factors.

That’s why the company announced that it would focus on selling laptops to big companies. Toshiba will still sell consumer laptops in Japan and the U.S., but will disappear from your favorite consumer electronics stores in the rest of the world.

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
Fed Official Confesses Fed Rigged Stock Market — Crash Imminent

video:

Richard Fisher: Real issue in China
Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 | 10:39 AM ET
Former Dallas Federal Reserve President Richad Fisher, discusses China's markets, and Fed policy.

Fisher statements:

What the Fed did — and I was part of that group — is we front-loaded a tremendous market rally, starting in 2009.

It’s sort of what I call the “reverse Whimpy factor” — give me two hamburgers today for one tomorrow.

I’m not surprised that almost every index you can look at … was down significantly.

Basically, we had a tremendous rally, and I think there’s a great digestive period that is likely to take place now, and it may continue.

We front-loaded at the Federal Reserve an enormous rally in order to accomplish a wealth effect.

I wouldn’t blame [what is happening] on China. We’re always looking for excuses.

It’s going to take awhile to digest this. I wasn’t surprised at last year. And I wouldn’t be surprised at a rather fallow performance this year as well.

All of the managers I talk to — a lot of people are building cash positions…. Those [investors] that are taking a longer term view are being extremely cautious here, are raising their cash levels, are nervous about the valuations that are in the market.

The values are very richly priced here, so I could see significant downside. I also could see just flat market for quite some time.

Asked if saw a big unwind from the Fed’s 6.5-year policy and what it would look like on the way down, Fisher responded,

I was warning my colleagues, “Don’t go wobbly if we have a 10-20% correction at some point…. Everybody you talk to … has been warning that these markets are heavily priced.

Elsewhere Fisher said:

The Federal Reserve is a giant weapon that has no ammunition left.

You have to be careful here and frank about what drove the markets…. It was, the Fed, the Fed, the Fed, the European Central Bank, the Japanese Central bank … all quantitatively driven by central bank activity. That’s not the way markets should be working…. They were juiced up by central banks, including the Federal Reserve…. So, I think you have to acknowledge reality.

Last edited:
May 6, 2002
I have everything under one IRA. I had a 401K and an IRA but I rolled the 401K into the IRA. Just easier to manage, especially since the company I've worked for (last 4+ years) doesn't offer a 401k.

So I've had to open a pure investment account. Taxes are going to be a pain since I now have to tally profits, losses, commissions, etc.

Nothing much going on right now. Looking forward to more downside than up.
Even though 2016 will probably be a rough and choppy year, I expect oil go up this year. At lest to 45-50 a barrel. Energy stocks to follow...

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
THE BIG GAME

U.S. Hispanic Poll Key Findings:
Ad activity:
◾ 79% looked forward to the ads during the game
◾ 45% intended to look up a product advertised during the game on their smartphone
◾ 34% intended to re-watch an ad seen during the game on their smartphone

Actions likely to do on their smartphone while watching:
◾ 45% intended to follow players and/or teams on their smartphone
◾ 35% intended to download a Big Game related app on their smartphone

How respondents planned to watch:
◾ 29% planned to purchase new electronic equipment for the game
◾ 27% planned to stream live on a smart TV, 15% smartphone, 14% tablet

U.S. Live Poll Key Findings:
Ad activity:
◾ 77% look forward to the ads during The Big Game
◾ 67% believe Big Game ads help make them aware of advertiser brands
◾ 52% planned to share any interesting ads that they saw during The Big Game

Actions on smartphone while watching:
◾ 35% posted on social media during The Big Game on their smartphone
◾ 26% looked up a product advertised during The Big Game on their smartphone
◾ 20% downloaded a Big Game related app on their smartphone

How respondents watched:
◾ 79% watched The Big Game at home
◾ 33% watched The Big Game on more screens than last year
◾ 28% purchased new electronic equipment for the game
◾ 21% streamed live on a smart TV, 13% on smartphone and 12% tablet

Key Takeaways for Brand Advertisers:
◾ During the game, attention isn't just on the TV - consumers are engaging across multiple devices; therefore, advertisers should deploy multi-screen marketing strategies.
◾ Nearly eight out of ten respondents in each survey were looking forward to ads during game time; therefore, advertisers should take advantage of this level of receptivity and anticipation.
◾ The use of multiple devices means marketers that are trying to reach diverse audiences can take advantage of the advertising opportunities surrounding the game, particularly on smartphones.