Twitter IPO / Who Buyin?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 3, 2016
Looked at my account with TD, got about $4k to invest which really isn't much. But I look at this money as money I never had to begin with so if I invest it semi-aggressively long term and end up losing it all, I wouldn't be too sad.

May 22, 2006
You cannot hold ETF's like that.
Especially any 2x or 3x. Those are all swing trade (3 days average hold time) plays.

I strongly suggest you learn about the Contango Effect as well as Instrinsic Values.

Not bashing, but I have to concur that you haven't, based on the fact you are holding a 3x ETF expecting a bounce back. I'd expect a reverse split on that thing, really soon...
Ha. There ya go. Ima off it quick then. Thanks for the heads up. Ya I ain't playin when I say I'm green. I'm prob gonna take off outta this class shortly and get a refund. It's cool and all but I doubt the instructor. I also flat hate classrooms. He's making ridiculous claims about making an easy 120k in options with an 8k play. He's damn near pushing it as fool proof. The courses they sell are like 5000-20000$ and there's no way Ima be in for that.

Also on the 65% drop I think he's trying to create a narrative to sell his product.

May 6, 2002
Ha. There ya go. Ima off it quick then. Thanks for the heads up. Ya I ain't playin when I say I'm green. I'm prob gonna take off outta this class shortly and get a refund. It's cool and all but I doubt the instructor. I also flat hate classrooms. He's making ridiculous claims about making an easy 120k in options with an 8k play. He's damn near pushing it as fool proof. The courses they sell are like 5000-20000$ and there's no way Ima be in for that.

Also on the 65% drop I think he's trying to create a narrative to sell his product.
I'm not saying sell it. I'm just saying the buy and hold on a 3x ETF is almost mathematically impossible.

With no bad news on the horizon, the only pull backs (fundamentally) are profit taking or the "sell in May and go away" concepts. We are in fact due for a correction. Long overdue.

You can make 120k with an 8k option play.
I don't suggest making an 8k option play though. Ha.
Even if I had a million dollar portfolio I wouldnt buy 8k worth of option contracts.

Then again, I know people who ONLY play options and think that stocks are for fools.

All user pref...

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
Outback Steakhouse to close 43 Restaurants, company reports $4.3 Million loss

“Although 2016 was a challenging year for both Bloomin’ Brands and the industry, we made real progress on our strategy to reallocate spending away from discounting toward investments to strengthen brand health, ” said Liz Smith, CEO. “We are pleased with how our brands are performing so far in 2017, particularly at Outback where we believe our investments are beginning to gain traction.”
On February 15, 2017, we decided to close 43 underperforming restaurants. In connection with these closures, we recognized pre-tax asset impairments of $46.5 million during Q4 2016, which includes three restaurants that closed in the fourth quarter. We expect to incur charges between $16 million to $19 million in fiscal year 2017 with the majority of these expenses occurring in the first quarter.

-----------

Reported earnings show a loss of $4.3 million late last year. In 2015, the company brought in a net income of $17.7 million. The dining industry has been facing some financial challenges, because more customers are opting for takeout and delivery options.

MISMANAGEMENT&EMBEZZLEMENT.CO

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
now gambling on VRX with a 400 share buy.... neg 8 EPS, but FDA drug approval for Psoriasis treatment SILIQ.... I do not recommend the faint hearted buy or short this one, very volatile....
"This development sent shares shooting to almost $18.00 in the aftermarket- over 10% higher than when we first initiated coverage on February 6, 2017. Siliq's approval may represent a new beginning for Valeant. This drug approval is proof of the concept that Valeant can deliver returns to investors without 'selling itself short' via asset sales."

Hell ya 💰🍯

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
This Guru Loves Valeant; Should You?

Hedge funds' final 13F forms for 2016 were published last week, and as usual, the data has been scrutinized by the financial media. There were a few surprises in the figures, including Warren Buffett ( Trades , Portfolio )'s new favorite position, Apple (AAPL), and the general rotation away from tech toward financials.

One position change that stands out, however, is not Buffett's move but that of Francis Chou (Trades, Portfolio). Chou's Chou Associates is a traditional value fund, and Chou is well known in the value community for his investing style.

Since inception, the Chou Associates Fund has achieved an average annual return for investors of around 12% by following Chou's value style. Before purchasing distressed securities, he asks the following questions:

What would be left if the company was forced to liquidate?
How competent is the management?
Is the underlying business strong enough to generate consistent cash flow?
Does the company have a strong enough balance sheet to make it worth the risk?

He's looking for a company with strong management that's fallen out of favor with the market, that's cheap and not going to go out of business anytime soon. With these investment criteria in mind, some might wonder why Chou Associates increased its position in struggling pharmaceutical company Valeant during the fourth quarter.

What's with Valeant?

Chou has not been a Valeant (VRX) supporter for long when compared to the likes of Bill Ackman (Trades, Portfolio). The fund first started buying the company in the first quarter of 2016 after the stock had more than halved in price from its $250 per share high. Chou continued to buy in the second quarter, adding 470,000 shares to his existing basket of 980,000 shares acquired during the first three months of the year. For the final quarter of 2016, Chou increased his position further by 36% or 514,000 shares. Overall, the stock now accounts for 9.4% of Chou's overall portfolio, the third-largest position after JPMorgan (JPM) and Berkshire Hathaway (BRK-A).

The big question is, what should investors make of this buying by Chou? Does his buying signal there's value on offer at Valeant?

Value on offer?

Interestingly, Chou is one of the only fund managers to own Valeant. Jeff Ubben's ValueAct Capital and Ackman are the only other managers to own substantial positions in the firm. This either means Chou sees something most don't, or he's lost it, which is what most people tend to think when a manager takes a nonconsensus position.

Even though Chou is the only hedge fund manager buying the stock, Valeant isn't as unloved as most believe. In a substantial vote of confidence for the company, management is also becoming one of the company's largest investors. Last year, while Chou was adding to his position management acquired over $5 million of stock for itself, a strong signal that it believes the company can return to health.

But even if management is optimistic about Valeant's outlook, the one thing that's certain about the company is that its financials are a car crash and an accident waiting to happen. Even though the current management team has managed to lock in $2.1 billion of acquisitions, debt remains high at $30 billion. Another $8 billion of acquisitions is currently in the cards. The company is dependent upon the kindness of capital markets to keep the lights on. If creditors get spooked, there's no chance the group will be able to meet its obligations, and that's a big red flag for value investors.

Still, the company is not a total basket case. Indeed, JPMorgan analyst Chris Schott and team are expecting the group to report solid earnings figures this year, making the stock look cheap on a forward basis:

"Following Valeant's recently announced divestitures and ahead of 2017 guidance, we wanted to refresh estimates and update our outlook for Valeant. We are again lowering our estimates to reflect 1) the company's recently announced asset sales, 2) a more conservative view of Valeant's diversified products division, and 3) FX headwinds. Our new 2017 EPS and EBITDA estimates are $4.30 billion and ~$3.7 billion."

Disclosure: The author owns no stock mentioned.

Last edited:
May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
Lol @ author owns no stock mentioned.

One of my boys recommended medtronic stock. Looked at the stock and apparently they do a lot of the hospital equipment you see at hospitals/clinics.
They usually mention whether they have a position in the stock or not, thats for the SEC

Medtronic pacemakers, I know they do more than that now but I toured their fab here 20 years ago....

May 22, 2006
I just sold Amazon google Facebook and amd. Took profit on all of em. After going to that class, even tho I only lasted a day n a half, I learned to have stops on all my picks. I didn't know anything about that before. I'm gonna restructure my entire portfolio.

The brazy part about this is I have a lot of money at stake n this game n don't even know the rules. I've been fortunate enough to make a decent amount of money doing it completely blindfolded.

Id really like to dip my toes n the water with options, forex, and commodities.

Here's another brazy tidbit, I follow this guy on twitter who makes these picks on small cap stocks. His first pick was some company that went up 220% in a day. I put like 100$ or something light on that pick and won a nice little bag. His next pick he told me is mfst. I bought 100,000 shares a week ago for 570. That stock since then has gone up 63% and he says more is coming. The stock is now worth 929$ at .0093 a share

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
After going to that class, even tho I only lasted a day n a half, I learned to have stops on all my picks. I didn't know anything about that before. I'm gonna restructure my entire portfolio.
EXACTLY

I knew about it before that class but did not exactly understand how they worked until that class.
-------------------

On another note:

I say do not trade with E-Trade though. They seem to be hella sneaky when you buy and sell at market and often times they will stop you out on nearly every trailing stop $. Another thing is when I put the market order in on VRX, it should have bought at 15.85, instead it bought at 16.09 (cost me $90+ profit out the gate). I noticed E-Trade also does not update your portfolio for the first 15 minutes of market open (its almost like that way their compters can cheat you how they see fit). If someone thinks that tin foil hat talk, then you don't understand how this game works. When you buy shares via E-Trade or companies like them, you are buying in house shares- not buying them from the Wall Street floor. Its shady but the SEC seems to not care. I used to have Scott Trade UBS and E-Trade and Fidelity, but closed my ST, now I think I'm returning and closing E-Trade or going with Trade Station since I am average a high amount of monthly transactions. Maybe I'll just go with Fidelity, there is no sneakiness involved with them at all and I already have a pension, a 401k, a Roth IRA, and an Employer paid retirement account with them anyway.

Last edited:
May 22, 2006
@ rumpel I just came into fnma this morning w 150 shares at 2.64 each. Scott trade won't let me put a stop on it so I guess I gotta watch it now. U think it's done bleeding?

I bought 100 shares nvda at 110.66 with a 109.5 stop
LiTE 50 shares at 50.93 with a 50.00 stop
And 15 shares tsla at 277.41 with a 275 stop

This is my first time buying shit w a stop. Feel free to let me know if u see something I could do better.

Btw mfst is up 100% since I bought it not long ago

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
I bought 100 shares nvda at 110.66 with a 109.5 stop
LiTE 50 shares at 50.93 with a 50.00 stop
And 15 shares tsla at 277.41 with a 275 stop

This is my first time buying shit w a stop. Feel free to let me know if u see something I could do better.
What are you basing your stops off of, below the average price fluctuations? I say this because if the stock is highly volatile and your stop is too tight, it will stop you out much sooner than you would prefer. I use trailing stops vs. stop on quote or stop and watch review the average fluctuations before doing so. That way as the price goes up, so does my trailing stop.... but if the price goes down I still (usually) retain some profitability

At the end of the day I only want to be stopped out on a long if the stock is on a declining trend or a short if on an up trend, that would erase any chance of profitability or cause sever loss. A perfect example of this is when I shorted SHOO. Two days later it went up $0.20/ share and $0.75 the day after. Fortunately I BTC for a profit thanks to my trailing stop $

You play it too tight and the market will nickel and dime you practically every turn.

$0.02

Last edited: