Remember the GA kid that was given 10 years for head from a sixteen year old?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

V

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • V

V

about fuckin time...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21488038/

Young man in consensual sex case leaves prison

Ga. court ordered Wilson released, ruled 10-year sentence was cruel

FORSYTH, Ga. - A young man who had been imprisoned for having consensual oral sex with another teenager was released from prison Friday after Georgia's Supreme Court intervened in the case.

The court ruled 4-3 that Genarlow Wilson’s 10-year sentence was cruel and unusual punishment. Wilson served more than two years of the sentence.

Wilson's case led to widespread protests of heavy-handed justice. His supporters said race was one reason he received such a severe sentence, noting that he and the girl — both black — were only two years apart.

"I'm happy to see that we've got justice now," Wilson said after being released from the Al Burruss Correctional Training Center in Forsyth, Ga. "I'm ready to piece back my life."

Wilson's supporters were jubilant.

"I never gave up hope in our judicial system, and I never gave up hope in all the prayers people sent out for us," said his mother, Juannessa Bennett.

Wilson said he was surprised to hear Friday morning on the radio that he would be freed. "It just felt unreal until I signed the paper," he said.

Wilson offered a word of caution to young people. “A few minutes of fun can be a lifetime,” he said. “There’s not going to be anymore parties for me for a while.”

Details of case

Wilson, now 21, was convicted of aggravated child molestation following a 2003 New Year’s Eve party at a Douglas County hotel room where he was videotaped having oral sex with a 15-year-old girl. He was 17 at the time.

Wilson was acquitted of raping another 17-year-old girl at the party.

The 1995 law Wilson violated was changed in 2006 to make oral sex between teens close in age a misdemeanor, similar to the law regarding teen sexual intercourse. But the state Supreme Court later upheld a lower court’s ruling which said that the 2006 law could not be applied retroactively.

Chief Justice Leah Ward Sears wrote in the majority opinion that the changes in the law “represent a seismic shift in the legislature’s view of the gravity of oral sex between two willing teenage participants.”
Sears wrote that the severe punishment makes “no measurable contribution to acceptable goals of punishment” and that Wilson’s crime did not rise to the “level of adults who prey on children.”

Supporters: 'A long time coming'

State Attorney General Thurbert Baker said he accepts Friday’s ruling.
Baker said he hopes the ruling will “put an end to this issue as a matter of contention in the hearts and minds of concerned Georgians and others across the country who have taken such a strong interest in this case.”
Wilson’s supporters were jubilant.

“It’s been a long time coming,” said U.S. Rep. John Lewis, an Atlanta Democrat. “Each day that this young man spent in prison was a day too long.”
Civil rights activist Jesse Jackson, who is visiting Georgia this week, called for an end to mandatory minimum prison sentences.

State lawmakers announced they had raised $4,000 toward a scholarship fund for Wilson, and Jackson promised another $5,000 from the Rainbow/PUSH organization.

‘Grave miscarriage of justice’

The state Supreme Court had turned down Wilson’s appeal of his conviction and sentence, but the justices agreed to hear the state’s appeal of a Monroe County judge’s decision to reduce Wilson’s sentence to 12 months and free him. That judge had called the 10-year sentence a “grave miscarriage of justice.”

Dissenting justices wrote that the state Legislature expressly stated that the 2006 change in the law was not intended to affect any crime prior to that date.
They said Wilson’s sentence could not be cruel and unusual because the state Legislature decided that Wilson could not benefit from subsequent laws reducing the severity of the crime from a felony to a misdemeanor.

They called the decision an “unprecedented disregard for the General Assembly’s constitutional authority.”

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
Me to...
Yeeeeeeeeeee.
Ok I'm done

I remeber that fuckin prosecutor saying "take your medicine and take the plea"
.....Punk ass
some good ole boy southern bull shit, i bet the mother fucker was just mad he never got his dick sucked at that age.

Mar 26, 2006
Yeah saw this on our local news as well, absoloutely unfucking believeable he was sentanced to 10 years for that, fucking racist judge thats all it was. Wake the fuck up america you dumb fucking cunts and stop being racist.

Mar 13, 2003
They would need to pay me for the 2yr's that were lost in that prison!!!

Good for dude tho!

fuckin racists ass people

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
I saw that on SportsCenter a few hours ago (I'm not sure why I was awake at 5-6 in the am), and that's what I thought (finally!)...

They said something to the effect of "...former NFL prospect..."

Shows you how bad they fucked up this kid's life.

V

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • V

V

I saw that on SportsCenter a few hours ago (I'm not sure why I was awake at 5-6 in the am), and that's what I thought (finally!)...

They said something to the effect of "...former NFL prospect..."

Shows you how bad they fucked up this kid's life.
he had letters from alot of the top college football programs, they all wanted him...I read the original story a while back and it said that he was shuttind down some wide recievers that went on to make big impact in college/pros...

Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
I HOPE THIS DUDE CAN STILL GO TO COLLEGE..THEY TOOK AWAY 2 YEARS OF LIFE..FOR WHAT?? DAMN PROSECUTOR PROBABLY WAS SMUG AND HAPPY ABOUT THE ORIGINAL OUTCOME..IF THIS IS UPHOLDING THE LAW TO HIM THEN HE SHOULD GET RE-EVALUATED. HOW MANY OTHER TIMES HAS HE SENT SUM ONE TO PRISON AND FUCK UP THEIR LIVES FOR NOTHING?? THAT'S WHAT I WANNA KNOW. I'M GLAD HE IS FREE NOW.
Falcons should give dude a try out.
Fuck it invite him to the combine next year.