Joaquin Phoenix - I'm Still Here - Review

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 17, 2004
just watched the joaquin phoenix flick and i recommend it. really good stuff. when i left the theater i heard ppl discussing it and it sounds like everyone has a different opinion on it....

is it all an act?

or has jp (as he likes to call himself) spiraled down into this person who is absolutely obsessed with getting p diddy to produce his hip hop album?..all the while drinking and doing a shit load of cocaine all day and treating everyone around him like shit. he doesnt make sense a lot of the time and can be really funny with the way he rationalizes things and some of the absurd shit he says

after watching it i think its an elaborate and brilliant act on his part. casey afflec who co-wrote and directed deserves a lot of credit for this too. the story that the film ends up piecing together is a very universal and profound one about the dark side of what people can become (without themselves realizing it). i think phoenix does an oscar worthy job for his performance and especially considering how this character transcends the traditional acting role.

on the other hand...if this is fully real....then that guy is FUCKED UP. if its real than its a very funny but sad film. and shame on affleck for filming it and making this movie out of it.

filled with brief appearances (all of which are pretty funny) from ppl like:
p diddy
ben stiller
and edward james olmos, who has an awesome 2 minutes in the film. phoenix refers to him as e-jo though

oh and there are areolas in the film, breh

May 2, 2009
THIS THREAD IS BETTER SUITED FOR THE MOVIE FORUM

THAT WAY ---->

BUT YEAH, I'M CURIOUS TO SEE WHETHER THIS IS ALL AN ACT OR IF HE'S REALLY SERIOUS ABOUT THE RAP THING,

Dec 17, 2004
shit. i just read that. ok so it is a big act. well yeah, great performance. but i feel part of what made it great was the mystery. now that thats gone i feel ppl who watch it knowing with 100% certainty its not real wont get the same experience out of it. oh well. e-jo still puts it down, as do the cocaine covered areolas that jp snorts and sucks on.

one of the big things that honestly tipped me off was the way p diddy was acting

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/16/more-from-casey-affleck-on-im-still-here/

Dec 17, 2004
you saw it? didnt like?

i think what phx and affleck did was something different than what we're used to in film today. and i liked that. but i dont like the fact that that cat is fully out the bag. i figured if they admitted it, it'd be toward the end of the films screening. im really glad i was able to watch it without knowing that.

wonder if the lawsuits against affleck are fake too?

and yeah, borat should of cleaned up

Nov 14, 2002
you saw it? didnt like?

i think what phx and affleck did was something different than what we're used to in film today. and i liked that. but i dont like the fact that that cat is fully out the bag. i figured if they admitted it, it'd be toward the end of the films screening. im really glad i was able to watch it without knowing that.

wonder if the lawsuits against affleck are fake too?

and yeah, borat should of cleaned up
I'm waiting to download, so I haven't seen the final product... But I watched very closely when he announced that he wanted to be a rapper and did a press tour about it acting strange. You could tell it was an act just from that, and the fact that Casey Affleck kind of blew the whistle by following him around everywhere and doing too much press on how it "isn't an act."

I'm looking forward to seeing it but I think that guy is a fucking idiot. LoL.