I'm starting to learn to make beats

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 15, 2008
I started making beats about 3 weeks ago.

I got FL Studio 12 just for the fun of it, and I enjoy it so much. I'm really passionate about it. The types of sounds and rhythms that can be put into it, makes it interesting since its never the same sounds.

I'm still in the learning process though, so my beats probably don't sound so good.

So far, I have bought a little less than $200 studio monitors, and a $100 25key midi keyboard/mpc combo (still waiting for it to be shipped).

Any advice to help me improve?

DuceTheTruth

No Flexxin No Fakin
Apr 1, 2003
I started making beats about 3 weeks ago.

I got FL Studio 12 just for the fun of it, and I enjoy it so much. I'm really passionate about it. The types of sounds and rhythms that can be put into it, makes it interesting since its never the same sounds.

I'm still in the learning process though, so my beats probably don't sound so good.

So far, I have bought a little less than $200 studio monitors, and a $100 25key midi keyboard/mpc combo (still waiting for it to be shipped).

Any advice to help me improve?

watch all the tutorials you possibly can, and get those plugins!!!!....you can also find free soundpacks too. I use FL Studio 12 but I dont use the sounds no more. good luck g.

Oct 15, 2008
Thanks guys! I appreciate the responses.

I have Nexus, but i'll definitely look out for the other VST's

I've looked at tutorials, and learned quite a bit from them. I also just mess around with the program to see what things do. Usually I refer to the internet when I run into a problem, like the bass overpowering the whole track, etc.

Any advice on creating melodies from scratch? Idk if the reason I can't think of a melody is because I don't know much about music, or if because its too hard to work on the laptop keyboard recording, or just placing the notes buy my mouse.

I don't want to just learn to use loops all the time, since I feel like it will take away from being creative.

If i want to change a sound, what do I use when I place the sound into the mixer?

Feel free to add more advice if you'd like. Maybe you can also point to other websites or videos that you'd recommend to learn from.

Thanks again!

Jun 2, 2002
Thanks guys! I appreciate the responses.

I have Nexus, but i'll definitely look out for the other VST's

I've looked at tutorials, and learned quite a bit from them. I also just mess around with the program to see what things do. Usually I refer to the internet when I run into a problem, like the bass overpowering the whole track, etc.

Any advice on creating melodies from scratch? Idk if the reason I can't think of a melody is because I don't know much about music, or if because its too hard to work on the laptop keyboard recording, or just placing the notes buy my mouse.

I don't want to just learn to use loops all the time, since I feel like it will take away from being creative.

If i want to change a sound, what do I use when I place the sound into the mixer?

Feel free to add more advice if you'd like. Maybe you can also point to other websites or videos that you'd recommend to learn from.

Thanks again!
again, check busy works beats. they have tutorials on chord progression, music theory, everything.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jan 31, 2008
FL Studio comes with many vsts by the way, my favorite synthesizer being Harmor.
This synthesizer allows you to input an audio clip and run it through every synthesizer module on there. So no more are you taking a square wave and adding a modulated filter on it but vocal melodies as well. Something like this: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgwMZboZcjk?t=44[/ame]

If you are interested in pursuing this I recommend learning what a key and chord is. Also, the relationship between the notes in a key and the relationship between the chords in a key. What makes a minor chord? How does the melody resolve itself at the end of the bar?

In the piano roll in FL it has a feature that allows your clicker to fill up with all of the notes in a particular key so then you know what is in key and what isn't.
There is also a melody/loop generator but it kinda sucks. It creates a loopy melodic pattern on the piano roll and you can find inspiration or something.

Other than that FL studio allows you to take MIDI tracks and convert them to notes on the piano roll. It also allows you to take a single instrument/noted track do the same for you.

Also, I would say try to be a little bit creative in your approach. Since you are making beats for instance, think of how many ways you can use an instrument or effect rhythmically.
Instead of doubling the tempo of your snare hitting how about add a delay and let the echo create the illusion of accelerated time keeping like instead of TA-TA-TA-TA it can be TA(ta)-TA(ta)-TA(ta)-TA(ta).

If you want your money/bandwidth well spent I say look for Fab Filter.
Here is a video showing you an example of what I was talking about using delay as a part of your rhythmic instrument rather than a vocal effect or something.

Also make sure to look up how to create automation clips. Third party VSTs do not allow you to create automation clips by default because FL studio doesn't know what every knob does. It requires that you click on the knob and go into the menu to create an automation clip, say for instance the Harmor synthesizer's filter or 'wah' knob? That is how you'd end up with a sound like the song I embedded above.

hmmm.. It has been several years since I've been on there and I'm sure I am forgetting some things.
If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Oct 15, 2008
Thanks everyone for the responses. It's a big help, and a step to the right direction.

I have another question. I have tried googling this, but I cant seem to find a answer.

How do I know when a beat is ready to put up for sale?

If anyone is interested, I can show you a beat I've made?

I would definitely consider everyone's opinions, good or bad. That's the only way that I'll learn.

DuceTheTruth

No Flexxin No Fakin
Apr 1, 2003
Thanks everyone for the responses. It's a big help, and a step to the right direction.

I have another question. I have tried googling this, but I cant seem to find a answer.

I would definitely consider everyone's opinions, good or bad. That's the only way that I'll learn.
post a link bro

Jan 31, 2008

As with everything else, if there is a demand for the product you create then you are ready to sell it.
If the demand is for a crappy unmastered product then you are ready to sell it while it is still a crappy unmastered product

Oct 15, 2008
Here's one:

The second

Halloween - My Version

I used a FL Studio file I found online with the Halloween theme song. I added drums, and different sounds.

Let me know what you honestly thinks. Thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2002
Here's one:

The second

Halloween - My Version

I used a FL Studio file I found online with the Halloween theme song. I added drums, and different sounds.

you would definitely stand to benefit from learning a little melodies and whatnot. what's important at this stage is really learning the ins and outs of FL studio and all of its plug ins. don't be scared to sample...if you don't have formal music training, there's no shame in sampling music from people who do. my biggest criticism of the first beat is that the hits are a little jarring and kinda musically random, but you have the basics down. the Halloween beat is pretty decent... definitely a good start. try chopping up the sample a little bit and really make it your own. you have a good base though, keep grinding!

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
There's a big industry producer on here named e-low. He has worked with many big name​s like Dr. Dre, Cypress Hill, and Rappin 4Tay. He makes advanced tutorials for beat making and music production,. but I think he charges like $199 per learning package and I think you get 7 hours of step by step instructions at that price point. I personally charge $1500 for my mastering session training. If you can afford it you will be at a production engineering level in no time. Let me know. For e-low you will have to holla at one of his friends on here, I don't have his contact info.

Jan 31, 2008
Here's one:

I listened to it and kept waiting for the moment when a god damned shaker would bust in and pick the beat up

Also, good to see you are trying to use rhythm creatively.

My biggest take away from your tracks is the beat never really transitions nor tells a story. It did not build up towards anything nor released from anything.
Nothing wrong with that though.

Oct 15, 2008
you would definitely stand to benefit from learning a little melodies and whatnot. what's important at this stage is really learning the ins and outs of FL studio and all of its plug ins. don't be scared to sample...if you don't have formal music training, there's no shame in sampling music from people who do. my biggest criticism of the first beat is that the hits are a little jarring and kinda musically random, but you have the basics down. the Halloween beat is pretty decent... definitely a good start. try chopping up the sample a little bit and really make it your own. you have a good base though, keep grinding!

I don't have a midi keyboard, and it's a little complicated to just click with the mouse to position the keys where I want them to create a melody. But i'll be receiving my midi keyboard/mpc tomorrow by mail, and i'll be looking up looking interactive tutorials to learn to play the piano.

Little by little I look at difference pieces of what FL Studio has, and I figure out what it does. If it doesn't make sense, I just google it.

I tried sampling, I actually downloaded about 100 samples, a few dozen kits, and a few vst's, I try to mess around and see what I get out of it, but i'm going to try it more when I get my keyboard.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely consider it.

Oct 15, 2008
There's a big industry producer on here named e-low. He has worked with many big name​s like Dr. Dre, Cypress Hill, and Rappin 4Tay. He makes advanced tutorials for beat making and music production,. but I think he charges like $199 per learning package and I think you get 7 hours of step by step instructions at that price point. I personally charge $1500 for my mastering session training. If you can afford it you will be at a production engineering level in no time. Let me know. For e-low you will have to holla at one of his friends on here, I don't have his contact info.
That's a little pricey for me, but i'll look into it if I need to learn more than I can find online.

Oct 15, 2008
I listened to it and kept waiting for the moment when a god damned shaker would bust in and pick the beat up

Also, good to see you are trying to use rhythm creatively.

My biggest take away from your tracks is the beat never really transitions nor tells a story. It did not build up towards anything nor released from anything.
Nothing wrong with that though.
Your post actually helped me out a lot. You opened my eyes.

Idk what you mean by shaker.

When you mentioned transitioning and telling a story, I googled transitioning and find a few videos online that made me think outside the box. With this post, I feel like I can be more creative by applying affects that transition inside the beats.

To be certain 100%, do you mean what Metro Boomin does in this song? I notice that he uses the same melody, but changes the sounds, but between the sound I hear a transition to the next sound

DuceTheTruth

No Flexxin No Fakin
Apr 1, 2003
I DONT KNOW HOW YOU START YOUR BEATS OFF CURRENTLY, BUT ME PERSONALLY...IF I START OFF WITH THE MELODY FIRST I USE THE METRONOME TO KEEP ME ON BEAT. BUT USUALLY I PUT THE CLAPS AND HIGH HATS FIRST....JUST DEPENDS ON WHAT COMES TO ME FIRST.