I'm starting to learn to make beats

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

DuceTheTruth

No Flexxin No Fakin
Apr 1, 2003
THERES A LOT TO LEARN. DONT BE AFRAID TO EXPERIMENT.....EVENTUALLY TRY LAYERING SOUNDS LIKE CLAPS, SNARES,HATS ECT......PANNING SOUNDS LEFT AND RIGHT...NOT THE DRUMS THO.......SEND EACH CHANNEL/SOUND THRU THE MIXER AND EQ EVERY SOUND

Oct 15, 2008
I DONT KNOW HOW YOU START YOUR BEATS OFF CURRENTLY, BUT ME PERSONALLY...IF I START OFF WITH THE MELODY FIRST I USE THE METRONOME TO KEEP ME ON BEAT. BUT USUALLY I PUT THE CLAPS AND HIGH HATS FIRST....JUST DEPENDS ON WHAT COMES TO ME FIRST.
I start by listening to the sounds on Nexus 2, and playing with the computer keyboard to get a feel for the sound and what could be done with it. Then kicks, claps/snare, bass, hats.

I found it hard to start with the drums first.

DuceTheTruth

No Flexxin No Fakin
Apr 1, 2003
I start by listening to the sounds on Nexus 2, and playing with the computer keyboard to get a feel for the sound and what could be done with it. Then kicks, claps/snare, bass, hats.

I found it hard to start with the drums first.
I AGREE, SNARE/CLAPS AND HATS WORK BEST FOR ME....USUALLY SOMETHING BASIC...THEN ONCE THE BEAT GETS GOIN ILL GO BACK AND TWEAK WHAT I STARTED WITH.

Jan 31, 2008
Idk what you mean by shaker.
A shaker is any of these that can be shaken rhythmically

You can hear the tambourine jingles coming in at 1:55. Helps fill in the beat.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItA3gsfHCfY?t=105[/ame]

When you mentioned transitioning and telling a story, I googled transitioning and find a few videos online that made me think outside the box. With this post, I feel like I can be more creative by applying affects that transition inside the beats.

To be certain 100%, do you mean what Metro Boomin does in this song? I notice that he uses the same melody, but changes the sounds, but between the sound I hear a transition to the next sound

Check this out

Notice the first minute is just the intro of the album/song.
At 45 second the back melody starts building. but at the end of every bar strings come in and finish the bar. When the second rapper comes in you hear something like a synth choir modulating .
At 2:30 there is a sample of a guy talking about random shit.
3:11 the beat completely changes

There is this always building up then back down. There is always this ability to ride the beat throughout the whole journey of the song instead of just having it fill mathematical formulas. Nothing wrong with mathematics by the way, use it when you need it.

DuceTheTruth

No Flexxin No Fakin
Apr 1, 2003
A shaker is any of these that can be shaken rhythmically

You can hear the tambourine jingles coming in at 1:55. Helps fill in the beat.
John Frusciante - FM‬‏ - YouTube

When you mentioned transitioning and telling a story, I googled transitioning and find a few videos online that made me think outside the box. With this post, I feel like I can be more creative by applying affects that transition inside the beats.

Check this out

Notice the first minute is just the intro of the album/song.
At 45 second the back melody starts building. but at the end of every bar strings come in and finish the bar. When the second rapper comes in you hear something like a synth choir modulating .
At 2:30 there is a sample of a guy talking about random shit.
3:11 the beat completely changes

There is this always building up then back down. There is always this ability to ride the beat throughout the whole journey of the song instead of just having it fill mathematical formulas. Nothing wrong with mathematics by the way, use it when you need it.

TO ADD TO THAT, IN OTHER WORDS, BEATS ARE "STRUCTURED". THE FIRST 4-8 BARS ARE THE INTRO.......THEN U GOT 16 BARS...AND WITHIN THOSE 16 IS EVERYTHING THAT WAS STATED PREVIOUSLY....THEN THE CHORUS.....16......CHORUS.....OUTRO

EDIT: THATS KIND OF A STANDARD TEMPLATE.....TWEAK AS U SO CHOOSE

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2008
TO ADD TO THAT, IN OTHER WORDS, BEATS ARE "STRUCTURED". THE FIRST 4-8 BARS ARE THE INTRO.......THEN U GOT 16 BARS...AND WITHIN THOSE 16 IS EVERYTHING THAT WAS STATED PREVIOUSLY....THEN THE CHORUS.....16......CHORUS.....OUTRO

EDIT: THATS KIND OF A STANDARD TEMPLATE.....TWEAK AS U SO CHOOSE
emphasis on the tweak as you choose I think.
There are simply so many ways a person can be creative in a song structure that there should be no excuse to sounding the same.

Linkin Park songs for instance all follow the same structure.
Do something unique!

Jan 31, 2008
Two examples of being creative. You can hear the beat is sped up and then multiplied in the bar so instead of a beat starting and ending on a bar it loops a few times and still ends at the bar. Now what if you gave that illusion of pace but you sang slow and melodically, what kind of tense ass experience will the listener have to put up with?

In the second track you can hear the drum kit itself is alternated in the middle of the bar.
Or rather than a drum break being a basic drum break frusciante has added some modulation to make it seem to slow down to a stop before it appears to continue right where it left off.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiotHC81mGY?t=64[/ame]

Clearly there is a lot to be said here about attentively listening to what others are doing and learning from them. Frusciante, who I keep using for examples is well known for being a musical genius with balls for experimentation.

Aug 15, 2003
Of the SENIC CITY
The Most Important Thing Is To Imagine Words On Your Beats, If The Emcee Wasn't There, You Wouldn't Be Putting Them Out.

You Might As Well Starting Be Building A Booth Too.

Put A Hook And A Chorus To Every Beat That Is Feezy, Produce Them Out. So When People Step Into Your Studio They Know What Sound You Produce.
Then When Someone Legitimate Wants Him A Beat, Make Him A Fresh One.

Then There Are Beats That Already Sound Like Another Producers Material, They Know What They Are Getting Though

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2008
I have another question that I can't seem to find the answer to, that maybe some of you may know the answer to.

When it comes to a beat, what generally comes in the intro, pre-hook, hook, verse, outro? To get a better understanding of my question, what instruments should be turned on and off in each category?

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
I have another question that I can't seem to find the answer to, that maybe some of you may know the answer to.

When it comes to a beat, what generally comes in the intro, pre-hook, hook, verse, outro? To get a better understanding of my question, what instruments should be turned on and off in each category?
it depends. you are the producer so you get to dictate the arrangement of your beat. generally I start out with an 8 bar intro, 16 bar verse, 8 bar hook. But again, that might change. you may do a 8 bar intro that goes into the hook.
The best way to learn about arrangement, is to study your favorite songs. look for trends/similarities in arrangement. How many sounds do they have in the chorus? What about the verse? It's a lot of trial and error.

Aug 15, 2003
Of the SENIC CITY
Understanding music? Just make it how you wanna make it, not too much or less tempo and put on an artist

Start with the killer point and make it rhythm and bump into that and find some way to grab me at the beginning

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2003
Of the SENIC CITY
I was spit flows with a n old timer the other night and listening into his insight, one is keeping the roots of genre together and busting into that with your own world

Do a lot of tossing up in the air what you are going to produce but do a lot of producing also

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DuceTheTruth

No Flexxin No Fakin
Apr 1, 2003

as stated earlier, study your favorite music/songs....in the end its totally up to you.....you are the captain of your ship.....which is what will make you unique in the end.