How many times a week do you go to the gym?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

How often do you work-out?

• 1-2 times a week

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • 2-3 times a week

• 3-5 times a week

Votes: 34 35.8%
  • 5+ times a week

• Every day

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • None.....who cares?

Votes: 32 33.7%

• Total voters
Sep 29, 2003
gimpypimp said:
As for sets/reps...I found that this works best for me. I started using this routine when I first started lifting. I went from 165lbs. to 205lbs. Of course, everyone is different.

2 Warm Up Sets: 8 Reps.
Set 1: 6-8 Reps.
Set 2: 4-6 Reps.
Set 3: 2-4 Reps.
Set 4: 1-2 Reps.
Set 5: Burnout, 6-12 Reps.
Set 6: Superset 8-12 Reps.

Tempo is 3/0/1 with a 2-3 minute break between sets.

Note: Set 5, the burnout set, is with no rest after set 4. Only enough time to change the weight.

Set 6, the superset, is also with no rest, and is a different excercise. For example, Sets 1-5 I'll do Bench Press, flat (Barbell)...and then for my superset I'll do Flyes, flat (Dumbbell).

When cutting...I just do a higher rep range.

2 Warm Up Sets: 12 Reps.
Set 1: 12 Reps.
Set 2: 10-12 Reps.
Set 3: 8-10 Reps.
Set 4: 6-8 Reps.
Set 5: Burnout, 6-12 Reps.
Set 6: Superset 6-12 Reps.

Again, you change things around...but this is the basic set/rep range. I can post the actual excercises later if anyone is interested. Just let me know.

postin the exercises would be nice. i got a bowflex too.

does it matter what exercise u do for your warm up sets? and, on average how long does your workout take?

@dirty shoez....i didnt know skateboarders were health-conscious, doesnt the diet consist of marijuana, and cheetos? that was the staple when i used to skate, lol

Aug 8, 2003
fuck skating.. big people like us dont have any buisness puttin wheels on our feet.. we cant control shit.. u wouldnt put wheels under ur fridge and push it down the street..

Apr 25, 2002
i go 3 times a week , but im throwin in 2 extra sessions for active recovery which will also help me grow. i also try to run atleast 2 100 yard sprints a day

right now i do full body sessions i start with a big excercise like squat,bench or, deadlift and do 10x3 then 4 more excercises with 4x6 covering whats left over from the major muscle groups.

question anyone here hate doing curls ?

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
I train on a 4-Day split right now (4 Days On, 3 Days Off). I can even train on a 3-Day split (3 Days On, 4 Days Off) and get just as good results. Every muscle group is trained once a week, including Abs and Obliques. Training sessions last about 45 minutes to 60 minutes tops. Any longer than that and your wasting time as far as hypertrophy goes. So take advantage of the 60 minute window. I train with high intensity and I constantly am progressing my lifts. My rests in between sets is about 30-45 seconds. My split right now is Hams/Thighs/Calves (Monday), Back (Tuesday), Chest/Shoulders (Thursday), Biceps/Triceps (Friday). I enjoy training my biceps and triceps on the same day I find I get a way better pump and just an overall better growth. I never train two major muscle groups in the same day, I group a small muscle group with a large muscle group, the way it's supposed to be done. Last thing you want to do is overtrain. I've been training on and off now for about four years. All I can say is if you don't have a lot of self-discipline, and you stick to a solid regimen, this will give you more than enough. When I'm serious about it and zoned in my nutrition plan is flawless. I don't like to say diet because well, it's more than just a diet. When I am not completely zoned in my nutrition plan is okay, I try to mix it up as much as I can because sticking to a solid nutrition plan is probably the most difficult thing one can do. So I constantly change my diet charts every 3 weeks. I also change my routines and splits every 3-4 weeks. I won't get into my nutrition ratios and the numbers I'm working with as far as the amount of carbohydrates, protein and fats I eat, because they are very complex. But the foods I eat on a daily/weekly basis are foods such as eggs, lean beef, fish, chicken breast, skim milk, dry cottage cheese, 100% All Natural PB, lot's of oatmeal, oatbran, yams, potatos, brown rice, whole wheat bread, whole wheat pita, oranges, apples, bananas, brockoly, cauliflower, romaine lettuce, and a number of other things. I drink atleast a gallon of water a day. Gatorade is genius post-workout for that insulin spike. I supplement on and off with Creatine Monohydrate through the year also, I also take a good Whey Protein isolate and supplement with a solid Multivitamin and I take Flaxseed oil.

I can go on for days about my techniques practices I have picked up over the years of reading literally hundreds of articles on this, but that's the basics right there of my regimen.

If anyone has any questions about anything related to weight training, cardiovascular, diet and nutrition, feel free to ask me.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
Oh and for more of those healthy fats other than my 10-20G daily Flaxseed oil intake, I also get them from Extra Virgin Olive Oil and plenty of Avacados. You have to think of your body as a machine, so, it needs fuel, and not the low quality bullshit, the good stuff. So for all of you training, get your nutrition game up, read as many articles as you can online (Stay away from fitness magazines) and don't believe everything you read, research it and apply it first and see if it works for you.

Jul 28, 2002
I got about 4 times a week when in school and about 5-6 times a week when Im out. I started cleaning up my diet to try to cut some weight.
I may try Max OT work outs next month. Has anyone here tried it?

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
DEEJAECEE said:
I got about 4 times a week when in school and about 5-6 times a week when Im out. I started cleaning up my diet to try to cut some weight.
I may try Max OT work outs next month. Has anyone here tried it?
MAX-OT is really all you need to do if you do it correctly. You have to make sure the both physical and mental intensity is there all the way though, and do each set like it is your ONLY set. If you don't perform MAX-OT correctly it's just okay, but if you do it properly it's a great way to see quick gains.

But you can check out a MAX-OT course here, and it's free!

https://www.ast-ss.com/max-ot/register.asp

Later.

May 10, 2004
Mr. Samos said:
I train on a 4-Day split right now (4 Days On, 3 Days Off). I can even train on a 3-Day split (3 Days On, 4 Days Off) and get just as good results. Every muscle group is trained once a week, including Abs and Obliques. Training sessions last about 45 minutes to 60 minutes tops. Any longer than that and your wasting time as far as hypertrophy goes. So take advantage of the 60 minute window. I train with high intensity and I constantly am progressing my lifts. My rests in between sets is about 30-45 seconds. My split right now is Hams/Thighs/Calves (Monday), Back (Tuesday), Chest/Shoulders (Thursday), Biceps/Triceps (Friday). I enjoy training my biceps and triceps on the same day I find I get a way better pump and just an overall better growth. I never train two major muscle groups in the same day, I group a small muscle group with a large muscle group, the way it's supposed to be done. Last thing you want to do is overtrain. I've been training on and off now for about four years. All I can say is if you don't have a lot of self-discipline, and you stick to a solid regimen, this will give you more than enough. When I'm serious about it and zoned in my nutrition plan is flawless. I don't like to say diet because well, it's more than just a diet. When I am not completely zoned in my nutrition plan is okay, I try to mix it up as much as I can because sticking to a solid nutrition plan is probably the most difficult thing one can do. So I constantly change my diet charts every 3 weeks. I also change my routines and splits every 3-4 weeks. I won't get into my nutrition ratios and the numbers I'm working with as far as the amount of carbohydrates, protein and fats I eat, because they are very complex. But the foods I eat on a daily/weekly basis are foods such as eggs, lean beef, fish, chicken breast, skim milk, dry cottage cheese, 100% All Natural PB, lot's of oatmeal, oatbran, yams, potatos, brown rice, whole wheat bread, whole wheat pita, oranges, apples, bananas, brockoly, cauliflower, romaine lettuce, and a number of other things. I drink atleast a gallon of water a day. Gatorade is genius post-workout for that insulin spike. I supplement on and off with Creatine Monohydrate through the year also, I also take a good Whey Protein isolate and supplement with a solid Multivitamin and I take Flaxseed oil.

I can go on for days about my techniques practices I have picked up over the years of reading literally hundreds of articles on this, but that's the basics right there of my regimen.

If anyone has any questions about anything related to weight training, cardiovascular, diet and nutrition, feel free to ask me.
Would doing cardio everyday before or after lifting be good or would that be over doing it?

Sep 29, 2003
from what i have read, u should do cardio 5 times a week of about 30+ minute sessions...^^

mr. samos, can u explain the various workout plans for different results? like how my workout should change according to what i want to accomplish, example..for cutting/toning? for weight loss? for building maximum muscle mass?

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
MindTherapyRec said:
Would doing cardio everyday before or after lifting be good or would that be over doing it?
Well I bodybuild. So I only do cardio when I am cutting. In the off season I barely do cardio, it's not needed all it does in the off season for me is burns extra calories and I need all the calories I can get in the off season. I never do cardio near my weight training sessions. I do cardio on it's own time.

I suggest you do cardio on it's own, and leave your weight training days to themselves. It's just simpler that way, less stress on your body, no pre-exhaustion and it's just better. Separate them.

So it depends on your goals. If your trying to get cut and lose weight, yeah start off by doing cardio 2-3 times a week and increase it as you see fit. The best time to do cardio for fat loss is on an empty stomach just make sure you have atleast some glutamine in you and some BCAA's to prevent muscle catabolism. Right now I am cutting, I only do cardio 3 times a week, 30-45 minutes sessions. That's all I need, 8 weeks, and I get shredded. It's all diet. I do low-intensity in the morning and I do sprints in the day. The reason why you want to do cardio on an empty stomach is because your glucose levels are pretty much depleted and the next energy storage if you do proper cardio, would be fat. Low-intensity cardio helps hit that fat storage while not being as extreme to cause catabolism which high intensity may cause in the morning on an empty stomach. If you do high intensity cardio such as sprints and all out full runs I suggest you do it in the day and not on a completely empty stomach.

If your goal is savage cardiovascular health and your trying to be the next Donovan Bailey then start running your ass off. But if your just doing cardio for fat loss, then be smart about it. Less is more. Stick to 3-4 days a week.

If you have anymore questions in detail about what I have written above, PM me and I'll further explain something so you better understand it.

If your getting into cardio for fat loss you might also want to look into your THR. Target heart-rate zone. They have a low-intensity zone and a high intensity zone which you can make sure your in when you are training so you don't over do it or under do it.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
MaKaVeLi_420 said:
from what i have read, u should do cardio 5 times a week of about 30+ minute sessions...^^

mr. samos, can u explain the various workout plans for different results? like how my workout should change according to what i want to accomplish, example..for cutting/toning? for weight loss? for building maximum muscle mass?
Cutting is strictly diet. There is no such thing as toning a muscle through a lift, that's a myth and when people say toning it is said as more of a distinction between muscle failure and just light training. Try not to use that word anymore. Cutting is efficient and cutting is 100% diet/nutrition. You tone your muscles by lowering your bodyfat, which is done through diet and cardio. The only point of cardio is to raise your metabolism so you burn more calories, in return can consume more calories if you'd like, can burn more fat, and so forth. That's the only use for cardio besides it's major health benefits.

The type of exercises you do with weights should be mostly compound lifts. Stick to free-weights for the most part but use machines nearer to the end of your sets. Since machines are designed to elimate stabilizers and focus on the target muscle, it's smart to use them near the end of your routine, that way you know when you hit failure, that it's your target muscle failing and not one of your stabilizing muscles. Failure is the point where you can no longer do one repitition with PROPER form. As far as types of training. There is HIT training, Volume training, MAX-OT training, etc. When it comes to weight training you should have only one thing in mind and thats hypertrophy, or muscle growth and ofcourse strength. With that being said you should train the way that your body responds to well, growth wise, and no other way. There is no perfect way to train that everyone knows. If your body responds to higher reps and less sets, do that. If it doesn't, don't. It's all about trial and error, what works for you and what doesn't. Also, you need to keep two things in mind when weight training. 100% intensity, and progression. If your listing the same amount of weight that you were lifting a month ago, then your not going to get anywhere. You must progress in your lifts. If your benching 200 LBS right now, change that to 205 LBS next week. Add 2.5 LBS to each end. You feel me? You need to constantly be shocking your muscles, because the human body adjusts SO QUICKLY that if you don't progress in the amount of weight you push, you will not see new gains. When you lift weights, you cause very very small micro tears in the muscle, what happens is your muscle recouperates and repairs itself back stronger, with more micro fibres around that area, the result is eventually hypertrophy. If you are training with the same amount of weight as you were a month or a year before, how do you expect to constantly keep breaking down the muscle if it's adjusting and growing stronger? You understand? So, make sure you increase your weight slowly, obviously not dramatically, but if your lifts aren't going up then you eventually will be wasting your time. Lift with as much weight as possible but don't sacrifice FORM. Form is essential, You must perform the exercise properly, so FORM FORM FORM & INCREASE WEIGHT. Also, the body doesn't WANT MUSCLE. That's why it is an energy source, that's why the body will BURN MUSCLE. The body is not designed to hold muscle mass, that's why you have to work your ass off to build it and maintain it. So it may be smart to keep a small log of your progress.

I'm getting way too carried away, sorry.

You have to research, I recommend you read articles on http://www.bodybuilding.com and educate yourself. Find out about compound exercises and stick to them. Learn about splits and try one. Nutrition. Etc.

If your nutrition game isn't up though, it doesn't matter how hard you train in the gym you won't accomplish anything.

Apr 25, 2002
Let's take two twins, both 200 lbs, both training to get lean. One difference: one of them eats two eggs and does 30 minutes of cardio three days per week. The other does 30 minutes of cardio, three days per week and THEN eats two eggs. What's the difference in terms of fat loss after six months? I'll tell you — no fucking difference. Thirty minutes of steady state cardio will burn about 300 calories. Three times per week = 900 calories. Add that up for 26 weeks and we get 23,400 calories or 6.6 lbs of fat. If doing it fasted burned 30% more (which it doesn't), you're looking at another 2 lbs of fat in that same six month period, or an additional 0.07 pounds per week. Aerobic training doesn't do a hell of a lot for real world fat loss. Even if you're hungry.

-Alwyn Cosgrove

May 7, 2002
MR SAMOS, In regards to "TONING" vs. "BUILDING MASS". You say it is all in your diet. However, I have read and talked to a lot of people who suggested lifting heavier weights with less repetions on each set for building mass, and less weight but more repetions on each set for "toning". Toning meaning being more ripped as opposed to gaining mass meaning being more "thick" or "bulky". Whats your opinion?