GREAT BOOKS YOU HAVE READ...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 31, 2008

The Fortress is one of the most significant and fascinating novels to come out of the former Yugoslavia. Published as Tvrdava in Serbian, it is the tenth and among the best-known novels by Mesa Selimovic (1910-1982). In the novel, Ahmet Shabo returns home to seventeenth-century Sarajevo from the war in Russia, numbed by the death in battle or suicide of nearly his entire military unit. In time he overcomes the anguish of war, only to find that he has emerged a reflective and contemplative man in a society that does not value, and will not tolerate, the subversive implications of these qualities.

Set in Bosnia in the late 1700s, the novel sometimes functions as an artful metaphor for the communist Yugoslavia of Selimovic's day. At other times, the author explores the nuances of Ottoman rule in the Balkans. Muslim Ahmet's sustaining marriage to a young Christian woman provides a multicultural tension that strongly resonates with contemporary readers and sensibilities.

Hood Rat Matt

aka Goodfella (since '02)
Oct 19, 2009
East Oakland (Hills)
I lused to love Stephen King's books...when I drove a lot I used to listen to tons of books on tape. Cormac McCarthy is a great writer. I miss reading for fun. I would really like to finish reading all the classics some of which was required reading in high school that I just got the clift notes for to pass

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
This thread just made me realize it's been 10 years since I read a book lol fuck. Used to really enjoy reading, have tried to read again a few times over the years, but my brain drifts way too much. I'll get all the way through a page before realizing I didn't actually retain anything I just read. Miss being able to just zone out and read a book.

Hood Rat Matt

aka Goodfella (since '02)
Oct 19, 2009
East Oakland (Hills)
This thread just made me realize it's been 10 years since I read a book lol fuck. Used to really enjoy reading, have tried to read again a few times over the years, but my brain drifts way too much. I'll get all the way through a page before realizing I didn't actually retain anything I just read. Miss being able to just zone out and read a book.
man me too...I just got too much shit on my mind these days

Jun 21, 2016
I actually don't discuss what I read. I've just always been like that. Been an avid reader my whole life. Always used book covers because I don't even want people looking at my title. The ONE time I let ONE person know what I was reading, he asked to borrow it (which I am completely against) and he bent it to shit. It was one of my teachers and I'm still pissed 15 years later. Fuck that guy.

I'm on some Ninth Gate shit, but not all my stuff is of that category.

Anyways, you don't get to know what I read.
You can't handle it. The current book I'm reading goes for close to a grand (hard cover) on Amazon. So it's not like any of you simpletons will read it even if I suggest it.

I'm not on that site I'll sign up when I have free time and let you know.
Yeah, you can get your ass beat.

The Fortress is one of the most significant and fascinating novels to come out of the former Yugoslavia. Published as Tvrdava in Serbian, it is the tenth and among the best-known novels by Mesa Selimovic (1910-1982). In the novel, Ahmet Shabo returns home to seventeenth-century Sarajevo from the war in Russia, numbed by the death in battle or suicide of nearly his entire military unit. In time he overcomes the anguish of war, only to find that he has emerged a reflective and contemplative man in a society that does not value, and will not tolerate, the subversive implications of these qualities.

Set in Bosnia in the late 1700s, the novel sometimes functions as an artful metaphor for the communist Yugoslavia of Selimovic's day. At other times, the author explores the nuances of Ottoman rule in the Balkans. Muslim Ahmet's sustaining marriage to a young Christian woman provides a multicultural tension that strongly resonates with contemporary readers and sensibilities.

Dope. He was Eastern Orthodox, not sure why Wikipedia has him as Muslim? some of my family roots go deep in the Yugoslav Partisans in WW2 and in WW1 fighting against the ottoman turkroaches.

If you are interested in literary from that period I can point you in a few directions.

Nov 14, 2002
www.viiicdesign.com
About to finish reading this book:

"It began as a mistake." By middle age, Henry Chinaski has lost more than twelve years of his life to the U.S. Postal Service. In a world where his three true, bitter pleasures are women, booze, and racetrack betting, he somehow drags his hangover out of bed every dawn to lug waterlogged mailbags up mud-soaked mountains, outsmart vicious guard dogs, and pray to survive the day-to-day trials of sadistic bosses and certifiable coworkers. This classic 1971 novel—the one that catapulted its author to national fame—is the perfect introduction to the grimly hysterical world of legendary writer, poet, and Dirty Old Man Charles Bukowski and his fictional alter ego, Chinaski.

Before this one I read Catcher in the Rye.