florida woman dismembered neighbor, cooked remains

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 2, 2006

Deltona woman dismembered neighbor, cooked remains, records show - Orlando Sentinel

Records show Angela Stoldt drugged and killed her neighbor and tried to cook his remains.
"Thursday is when I was cooking him" woman told investigators. "Friday is when I was dumping him."

Angela Stoldt told officials she took a hacksaw to her neighbor's body last year and tried to cook away evidence of James Sheaffer.

One leg went in the oven. Other parts went into pots.

Stoldt's house in Deltona smelled of burning flesh, but she assured her daughter it was just a rat broiling in the oven, according to details made public last week after a grand jury charged her with first-degree murder.

"Thursday is when I was cooking him," Stoldt told investigators. "Friday is when I was dumping him."

The 42-year-old Deltona woman is accused of killing Sheaffer, 36, a limousine driver, in April 2013

Court documents filed last week detail for the first time her alleged confession and attempts to make his body vanish. According to the documents, cooking didn't work. She allegedly ended up putting the remains into trash bags and dropping them into dumpsters in New Smyrna Beach.

Last week, a grand jury listened to those alleged details and upgraded the charges against Stoldt to first-degree murder. She previously was charged with second-degree murder.

Prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty, said Spencer Hathaway, a spokesman for the State Attorney's Office.

That means life will be the likely sentence if she's convicted

The case started April 3 of last year when the neighbors met at Stoldt's house to discuss money problems. Stoldt served Sheaffer a cocktail of vodka and peach schnapps, laced with her father's prescription drugs. The muscle relaxer made him drowsy and confused.

Earlier, Sheaffer had asked Stoldt for a $4,000 loan from her father.

He had repeatedly overdrawn funds from a joint account the neighbors shared. Stoldt told officials she was responsible for dealing with Sheaffer's Social Security disability check, according to the incident report

Detectives wouldn't say why Stoldt was handling Sheaffer's financial affairs or describe their relationship.

Stoldt claimed self defense — an argument a judge denied.

She took Sheaffer to Osteen Cemetery, where the duo fought.

He swung his arms around and yelled as he threatened to kill her if she denied him the loan, Stoldt told deputies.

"He starts coming at me and … he didn't even really hit me, but he scared ... me and I just snapped," she said. " He came at me and I stabbed him."

She took an ice pick from her backseat and plunged it into one of Sheaffer's eyes. That didn't keep him away though, she said, so she took a cord and strangled him.

She pierced him in the other eye moments after his last breath.

At first, Stoldt placed the body in a baby pool in her garage. She began to cut into it the next day, placing the torso in one pool and other body parts in a second pool.

Her plan was to cook and burn the body, but that didn't eliminate all the evidence, records show.

So she turned to her unsuspecting son, telling him she had the rotting corpse of a deer that she needed to discard. They disposed of the bags in dumpsters behind a New Smyrna Beach fish house.

"I'm sorry, but I put Jimmie where he belonged, in my opinion at the time," she told deputies.

She referred to him negatively in her confession, saying he ruined her life.

Over the next few days, Stoldt continued to hide evidence, burying Sheaffer's cellphone and his driver license in parks, throwing the pots and pans in dumpsters and tossing the rug from her car into a lake.

Sheaffer, 36, had been missing since April 3 when he returned from driving a client to Tampa, deputies said.

He never showed up for his next job. Stoldt originally told investigators she hadn't seen her neighbor in awhile.

Three weeks after the death, Stoldt showed up suicidal at her parents' house confessing to the killing, records allege.

It was Stoldt's sister who called authorities and led investigators to further question Stoldt.

Her sister said Stoldt was saying goodbye to her children and described her as distraught, sleep deprived and "out of her mind" that night.

Stoldt is being held without bail at the Volusia County Branch Jail in Daytona Beach.

She is also charged with tampering with physical evidence and with abuse of a dead body.

In September, Stoldt's attorney filed a motion claiming self defense under the state's "stand your ground" law, but Judge Randell Rowe III rejected the motion, citing "unreasonable actions" for someone acting in self-defense

Feb 23, 2005
nep.503
Stoldt's house in Deltona smelled of burning flesh, but she assured her daughter it was just a rat broiling in the oven, according to details made public last week after a grand jury charged her with first-degree murder.
wtf....

"He starts coming at me and … he didn't even really hit me, but he scared ... me and I just snapped," she said. " He came at me and I stabbed him."
She took an ice pick from her backseat and plunged it into one of Sheaffer's eyes. That didn't keep him away though, she said, so she took a cord and strangled him.
very convenient, for someone "not" planning a murder.

Last edited: