COPWATCH

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
There are conflicting reports coming out now...we will see how this goes.
While I agree we can't trust the media, things like this are telling:

"I have retained Oakland Civil Rights Attorney John Burris to investigate and explore all my legal options including filing a civil rights lawsuit for the violation of my constitutional rights." - Michael Bennett

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
Big Data Surveillance: The Case of Policing
Sarah Brayne
First Published August 29, 2017 Research Article

Abstract

This article examines the intersection of two structural developments: the growth of surveillance and the rise of “big data.” Drawing on observations and interviews conducted within the Los Angeles Police Department, I offer an empirical account of how the adoption of big data analytics does—and does not—transform police surveillance practices. I argue that the adoption of big data analytics facilitates amplifications of prior surveillance practices and fundamental transformations in surveillance activities. First, discretionary assessments of risk are supplemented and quantified using risk scores. Second, data are used for predictive, rather than reactive or explanatory, purposes. Third, the proliferation of automatic alert systems makes it possible to systematically surveil an unprecedentedly large number of people. Fourth, the threshold for inclusion in law enforcement databases is lower, now including individuals who have not had direct police contact. Fifth, previously separate data systems are merged, facilitating the spread of surveillance into a wide range of institutions. Based on these findings, I develop a theoretical model of big data surveillance that can be applied to institutional domains beyond the criminal justice system. Finally, I highlight the social consequences of big data surveillance for law and social inequality.

SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research

Article Information
Article first published online: August 29, 2017
DOI: SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research
Sarah Brayne
The University of Texas at Austin

Corresponding Author: Sarah Brayne, Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology, The University of Texas at Austin, 305 E. 23rd St., A1700, Austin, TX 78712-1086 Email: [email protected]

Example of predictive policing

Though crime happens everywhere, predictive policing tools send cops to poor/black neighborhoods

Last edited:
May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
No body cameras for DEA, DHS, or any other big gov letter gangs, here's why (starts with money and ends with money, they take tax money and they'll take your money, off the top money and reported money, funny money or not they not returning any money).

[ame]https://www.forfeiture.gov/pdf/DEA/OfficialNotification.pdf[/ame]

Last edited:
May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
NYPD can’t count cash they’ve seized because it would crash computers
Despite multimillion dollar evidence system, NYPD have no idea how much cash they seize.

he New York City Police Department takes in millions of dollars in cash each year as evidence, often keeping the money through a procedure called civil forfeiture. But as New York City lawmakers pressed for greater transparency into how much was being seized and from whom, a department official claimed providing that information would be nearly impossible—because querying the 4-year old computer system that tracks evidence and property for the data would "lead to system crashes."

The system, the Property and Evidence Tracking System (PETS), was built on top of SAP's enterprise resource planning software platform and IBM's DB2 database by Capgemini in 2012, and was used as a flagship case study by the company.
Page not found – Capgemini Sweden
PETS replaced the long-established paper-based evidence logging system used by the department, and was supposed to revolutionize evidence and property tracking. It was even submitted for the 2012 Computerworld Honors, an awards program honoring "those who use Information Technology to benefit society."
http://www.cwhonors.org/case_studies/2012finalists/innovation/3000.pdf

more here
New *cough* *bullshit* *cough* "What happened was...."

NY cops say they can't reveal figures on cash seized from people – their IBM DB2 is 'broken' • The Register

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
Charges: On-duty detectives handcuffed woman, then raped her - Arizona's Family

NEW YORK (AP) - Two detectives threatened an 18-year-old woman with arrest over a bottle of prescription pills, handcuffed her, drove her around in their police van and then raped her, authorities said Monday in announcing charges against the two.

The detectives, Eddie Martins and Richard Hall, were arraigned Monday on a 50-count indictment that included rape and kidnapping counts, said acting Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez. He said DNA recovered from the woman matched both defendants.

Martins' attorney, Mark Bederow, vowed to "vigorously" challenge the case. "We don't believe that the story that the young woman was forcibly raped is supported by any credible evidence whatsoever," Bederow said.

The woman said the detectives assaulted her on Sept. 15 while they were on duty.

Martins "told the young woman he and his partner are 'freaks' and asked her what she wanted to do to get out of the arrest," Gonzalez said. Martins forced the handcuffed 18-year-old to perform a sex act on him as Hall drove, and then Martins raped her, the prosecutor said.

The detectives then stopped the van and switched places with Martins taking the wheel and Hall getting into the back seat of the van, Gonzalez said. Hall then forced the teen to perform a sex act, the prosecutor said.

Last edited:
May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz