Chinese farmer set himself on fire after officials go back on promise to pay for land

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 2, 2006

Farmer Qiang Yuan, 45, set himself alight in front of local government offices in China

Horrifying moment Chinese farmer sets himself on fire outside council offices after officials go back on their promise to pay him for land they took from him

Shocked shoppers described the moment Qiang Yuan set himself on fire
Farmer had lost a 'large amount' of earnings after the land was taken
Local government said land was needed to build a new highway
Officials promised to pay Yuan - but he was still waiting months later
Farmer is now in a critical condition after security guard put out flame

Chinese farmer set himself on fire after officials go back on promise to pay for land | Daily Mail Online

His wife said she had no idea he was going to take such drastic action when he left the house that day

Shocked shopper Wen Ko said: 'I was just about to go into a store when I heard people start screaming.

'I turned round and saw this huge ball of fire.

'I then realised it was a man sitting on the ground. He toppled over as a security guard ran over to extinguish the flames, but then he sat back up again and continued squatting there despite the fact his skin was blackened and charred.'

Yuan had been promised cash in return for his land, after officials told him it was needed for the new road.

But months after giving it away, the farmer still hadn't been paid - and his calls were being ignored.

At his wits end, Yuan bought petrol from a local shop, walked up to the front of the council buildings and poured it over his head before striking a match

He is now in hospital in a critical condition, with doctors crediting the quick actions of a security guard who extinguished the flames

After the flames were extinguished, he was rushed to hospital, where he is in a critical condition.

A hospital spokesman said: 'He has severe burns across 70 per cent of his body and is very lucky to be alive thanks to the quick reactions of the security guard.'

Qiang's wife Ling Cheng, 40, said: 'He was very angry and upset and kept saying that he had been cheated.

'We aren't rich and we really need that money as we have lost a large amount of our earnings from the land.

'He said he was gong to try and meet someone to find out what was happening.

'I had no idea he was going to do something like this.'

Local government officials have yet to comment, but said they would release a full statement once an investigation had been completed