Bitcoins

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

emma

Sicc OG
Apr 5, 2006
I really wish I had bought some bitcoins when I first heard about them in 2010 or 2011 and they were still super cheap.

Shit, I wish I had bought some earlier this year when I started hearing more buzz about them and they were still under $100. I remember seeing this thread and thinking this guy was insane for taking such a risk: I have my entire retirement and savings invested in Bitcoin. I will track its progress here over time. : Bitcoin

But for him it paid off. And by the time they climbed up to $200 I thought it was too late to buy... But then they just fuckin exploded.

But now it's really too late; definitely missed a good opportunity there. Oh well. That's why it's a gamble, because you could just as easily lose everything.

Ne Obliviscaris

RIP Cut-Throat and SoCo
Dec 30, 2004
I really wish I had bought some bitcoins when I first heard about them in 2010 or 2011 and they were still super cheap.

Shit, I wish I had bought some earlier this year when I started hearing more buzz about them and they were still under $100. I remember seeing this thread and thinking this guy was insane for taking such a risk: I have my entire retirement and savings invested in Bitcoin. I will track its progress here over time. : Bitcoin

But for him it paid off. And by the time they climbed up to $200 I thought it was too late to buy... But then they just fuckin exploded.

But now it's really too late; definitely missed a good opportunity there. Oh well. That's why it's a gamble, because you could just as easily lose everything.

If I'd just gone ahead and thrown the couple grand I was going to into bit coins when I made this thread, id have a cool million right now. I am a dumb motherfucker.

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
Bitcoins aren’t real, but they’re taxable, Norway says
December 16, 2013, 10:37 AM

Europe’s war on bitcoins took a fresh turn on Monday after the director general of taxation in Norway declared they aren’t a valid currency.

“Bitcoins don’t fall under the usual definition of money or currency,” Hans Christian Holte, director general of taxation in Norway told Bloomberg in an interview.

Instead, the country will treat bitcoins as an asset and charge capital gains tax, he said.

Germany also said this year that it wouldn’t recognize bitcoins as foreign currency and gains from buying and selling would be taxable.

On the heels of a tacit approval for bitcoin by the U.S. back in November, officials across Europe have been sounding the alarm, with one former Dutch central banker likening it to the tulip bulb frenzy of the 17th century, only worse. The European Banking Authority also said it is weighing up whether to regulate bitcoins.

China has also said that bitcoin is not a real currency, and cautioned users to beware. (Coindesk said that China view is open to interpretation.)

Of course is it a real word? Bitcoin just barely got edged out by the word “geek” as 2013 Word of the Year by Collins Dictionary, unveiled on Sunday.

Still, maybe the Norway tax question will get a few others thinking about their bitcoins and taxes:

John Butler @ButlerGoldRevo
Follow

Norway now taxes #bitcoin as an ordinary asset. If the US IRS weren't embroiled in constant scandal they would have got round to this too.
4:21 AM - 13 Dec 2013

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
Who Owns the World’s Biggest Bitcoin Wallet? The FBI

Who owns the single largest Bitcoin wallet on the internet? The U.S. government.

In September, the FBI shut down the Silk Road online drug marketplace, and it started seizing bitcoins belonging to the Dread Pirate Roberts — the operator of the illicit online marketplace, who they say is an American man named Ross Ulbricht.

The seizure sparked an ongoing public discussion about the future of Bitcoin, the world’s most popular digital currency, but it had an unforeseen side-effect: It made the FBI the holder of the world’s biggest Bitcoin wallet.

The FBI now controls more than 144,000 bitcoins that reside at a bitcoin address that consolidates much of the seized Silk Road bitcoins. Those 144,000 bitcoins are worth close to $100 million at Tuesday’s exchange rates. Another address, containing Silk Road funds seized earlier by the FBI, contains nearly 30,000 bitcoins ($20 million).

That doesn’t make the FBI the world’s largest bitcoin holder. This honor is thought to belong to bitcoin’s shadowy inventor Satoshi Nakamoto, who is estimated to have mined 1 million bitcoins in the currency’s early days. His stash is spread across many wallets. But it does put the federal agency ahead of the Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss, who in July said that they’d cornered about 1 percent of all bitcoins (there are 12 million bitcoins in circulation).

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
TOKYO — Mt. Gox, once the world's biggest bitcoin exchange, filed for bankruptcy protection on Friday, saying it may have lost all of its investors' virtual coins due to hacking into its faulty computer system.

Chief executive Mark Karpeles, bowing in contrition and wearing a suit instead of his customary T-shirt, apologized in Japanese at a news conference for the company's collapse, blaming "a weakness in our system."

Angry investors have been seeking answers for what happened to their holdings of cash and bitcoins, an unregulated crypto-currency, on the Tokyo-based exchange. The collapse of the company has shaken the virtual currency world.

Mt. Gox deleted its website on Tuesday after freezing withdrawals earlier this month in the wake of a series of technical difficulties.

The exchange had liquid liabilities of 6.5 billion yen ($63.67 million), dwarfing its total assets of 3.84 billion yen, the company said. It had 127,000 creditors in bankruptcy, just over 1,000 of whom are Japanese.