Arrest Made In Sandra Cantu Case

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

mrtonguetwista

$$ Deep Pockets $$
Feb 6, 2003
TRACY (CBS 5) ―

Tracy police arrested Melissa Huckaby early Saturday for suspicion of kidnapping and murder in the death of 8-year-old Sandra Cantu, CBS 5 has learned and police confirmed.

The 28-year-old Huckaby is a Sunday school teacher and the granddaughter of the pastor of Clover Road Baptist Church, which was searched by authorities for a second time Friday in connection with the case.

Huckaby's arrest came after she drove herself to the police station and was voluntarily questioned by police detectives for several hours on Friday night.

CBS 5 obtained exclusive video of Huckaby leaving the mobile home park, where both she and the girl lived, and driving away. She signaled that she had to leave.

She later sent a text message, telling CBS 5 that she was on the way to meet with police detectives.

At 2:25 a.m., police drove Huckaby out of their headquarters in an unmarked car, headed for the San Joaquin County Jail, where she was booked on charges of kidnapping and murder.

She was being held without bail, with a court arraignment set for Tuesday, according to the county sheriff's office.

"We have information that by the time (Sandra Cantu) was reported missing to us, she had already been murdered," said Police Chief Janet Thiessen said.

However, Thiessen would not elaborate on the cause of Sandra's death nor the motive in the case.

"This is a terrible terbible tragedy," Thiessen added. "An act against a child that has wide-reaching implications."

A massive search for the missing child had included hundreds of volunteers and law enforcement officials. Pictures of the girl with dark brown eyes and light brown hair were posted all over Tracy, a city of 78,000 in the Central Valley.

The search ended April 6 when farmworkers who were draining the irrigation pond to water fields found a suitcase containing Sandra's body.

The slain girl's aunt, Angie Chavez, said Saturday that she was happy to learn of the arrest.

"I want to know why she did it, if she did it," Chavez said.

Dec 4, 2006
Maybe the pastor/priest had something to do with it as well and she's taking one for him...

Overall great news....

Sandra Cantu, you may now Rest In Peace and play freely with the angels without worrying about anyone harming you...

Mar 12, 2005
Tracy has alot of Luni Folks. When I was going to the Victory Outreach there for a while, it was a trip thank the Lord I don't go there anymore LOL. The Whole city of Tracy is luni.

Jul 6, 2008
speechless. ill wait to see what the autopsy says. and what her motive was. i still have this hunch shes covering up for somebody.

i just can't see her doing this all by herself. it would be to many emotions to go thru the entire process of holding a child and the nexy minute getting rid of a body all in one fell swoop. that is a lot for one to deal with over the course of things.

this is so bizarre. she actually drew attention to herself, strange. or i guess she was trying to distract othrs by sayin somebody else left a note and it backfired.

like i say, the police will try and find anybody guilty even if you are innocent of the crime. they just want to close the case and move on. she sounds like she gave some information, but there should be more info coming out. she musta frogot her meds. to just snap like taht randomly is luni.

speechless. rip sandra.

Jul 6, 2008
I honestly had a feeling it was a woman
some people were saying it might be a woman, cuz a woman would wrap the body in a bag, like an aborted fetus or like when they give birth to a child in a bk bathroom and put it in a bag and dump it in the trash.

a man would just put the plain body in a ditch, and bury it with no covering of any sorts..

im not sure how true the statements are, but it's intresting if true.

May 4, 2002
so who was the older white man seen near where the body was found? mayge thats who she is covering for? maybe he boyfriend? if this bitch do it they need to make an example out of her.