Anybody Else Riding Out Harvey?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
Houston
This will be a first experiencing a hurricane or the remnants of one. We're in a no-flood zone and were never required to buy flood insurance, whereas other areas of Houston it is mandatory. The house is build on a mound for lack of better words, so the water is supposed to drain down into the street and gutters. Hopefully, people in danger zones make it through unscathed and can at least salvage irreplaceable keepsakes beforehand.

Nov 27, 2014
Well I never understood how people who live in those areas don't already automatically have shit ready for it. Y'all get warnings earthquakes just happen

Nov 27, 2014
I meant those areas know since the beginning of time that these happen why not just make it a standard to build the houses hurricane proof.

Apr 25, 2002
Houston
I don't understand why people choose to live in areas that have high risk for natural disasters,
I understand and completely agree. These were all things taken into consideration when purchasing our house. I remembered Hurricane Ike hitting Texas back in 2008 and the damage it caused. That's why we chose to purchase a brand new house in a northwestern suburb of Houston. The farther we are away from the coast, the more time and distance a storm has to die down. We also made sure we were not near any type of waterways that could possibly overflow and flood our house. And the new houses are built on a slight slope so that water flows from the backyard around the sides of the house and down into the street.

But even with all of this, mother nature could always choose to prove designers and architects wrong in the end. Local school districts are already closed for the entire week and as of now our school is closed on Monday and Tuesday, but it could turn into the entire week.

Realistically, where in the United States could you live where you are not susceptible to some type of natural disaster? Earthquakes are out west, dust storms in the Southwest, tornadoes in the Midwest, blizzards up north, and hurricanes in the South. You just have to pick your poison and realize they may not occur every year or maybe never in your lifetime.

Last edited:
May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
I understand and completely agree. These were all things taken into consideration when purchasing our house. I remembered Hurricane Ike hitting Texas back in 2008 and the damage it caused. That's why we chose to purchase a brand new house in a northwestern suburb of Houston. The farther we are away from the coast, the more time and distance a storm has to die down. We also made sure we were not near any type of waterways that could possibly overflow and flood our house. And the new houses are built on a slight slope so that water flows from the backyard around the sides of the house and down into the street.

But even with all of this, mother nature could always choose to prove designers and architects wrong in the end. Local school districts are already closed for the entire week and as of now our school is closed on Monday and Tuesday, but it could turn into the entire week.

Realistically, where in the United States could you live where you are not susceptible to some type of natural disaster? Earthquakes are out west, dust storms in the Southwest, tornadoes in the Midwest, blizzards up north, and hurricanes in the South. You just have to pick your poison and realize they may not occur every year or maybe never in your lifetime.
I understand your point, and I wish you and your family the best. I will take a haboob (I prefer at least two boobs) and 115 degree heat waves over all that other shit. A dust storm ain't shit. When we do get torrential rain here from the tropical storm, none of my properties are in high risk flood plains, and I don't drive into puddles I'm not supposed to. We aren't as susceptible to flooding like other places. It does happen in places here, and I don't live in those places. My family is from various places that lived through serious natural disasters which is why so many live here now- less risk.Youre a teacher so I get why you would not want to teach in Arizona- we don't take care of teachers here.

Apr 25, 2002
Houston
A @AdolfOliverBush if you end up in a position where you are in need, don't hesitate to speak up. I can'tspeak for anyone here but myself but if you need something say something. Peace.
Appreciate that. If we make it through this without our house flooding nor losing power, I will be truly amazed. I will call the corporate office of our builder and tell them they did a fantastic job.

I went out driving around today just to survey damage so far. I couldn't get very far. There is a creek about a mile west of us that is over the banks and flowing into the streets, causing the closing of two nearby intersections. Most businesses are closed with the exception of few gas stations. I went to the local grocery store to get some milk, but their dairy section looked like a grocery store in Venezuela. So we'll just have to do without milk for the next few days.