All Things 2nd Amendment

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the people to resist and triumph over them." -- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story of the John Marshall Court

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
Arizona Governor Doug Ducey signed Senate Bill 1122 into law. Sponsored by state Senator Gail Griffin (R-14), this important legislation will prevent the state of Arizona, a county, city or town government from requiring a person to access or facilitate access to any state, federal or third party database as a condition of selling, gifting, donating or transferring personal property. This will include so-called “universal background checks” on the private transfer of firearms.

Bill Status Inquiry

https://apps.azleg.gov/BillStatus/GetDocumentPdf/450070

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
Black women are choosing guns for self-defense

LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. --*
Sitting in a classroom above a gun range, a woman hesitantly says she isn’t sure she could ever shoot and kill someone, even to protect herself. Couldn’t she just aim for their leg and try to maim them?

Her instructor says self-defense is not about killing someone, but is instead about eliminating a threat.

If the gun gets taken away by a bad guy, the instructor says, “I promise you they’re not going to be having any sympathy or going through the thought process you are.”
Gently she adds that if the student isn’t comfortable with the lethal potential of the gun, buying one might not be for her.

Marchelle Tigner, known to her students and others as “Tig,” is on a mission: to train at least 1 million women how to shoot a firearm. She had spent no time around guns before joining the National Guard. Now, as a survivor of domestic violence and sexual assault, she wants to give other women of color the training she hadn’t had.

“It’s important, especially for black women, to learn how to shoot,” Tigner said, noting that black women are more likely to be victims of domestic violence. “We need to learn how to defend ourselves.”

It’s hard to find definitive statistics on gun ownership, but a study by the Pew Research Center released this month indicated that just 16 percent of “non-white women” identified themselves as gun owners, compared with about 25 percent of white women. Other Pew surveys in recent years have shown a growing acceptance of firearms among black-Americans: In 2012, one found that less than a third of black households viewed gun ownership as positive; three years later, that number had jumped. By then, 59 percent of black families saw owning guns as a necessity.

more at link

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
Last edited:
May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
Honolulu police tell legal marijuana users to turn in their firearms

“Your medical marijuana use disqualifies you from ownership of firearms and ammunition,” Susan Ballard, the new chief of police said in the letter dated November 13.

Police Demand Medical Marijuana Users Hand Over Their Guns Within 30 Days

The Honolulu Police Department is sending letters to medical marijuana patients warning them that they have thirty days to “voluntarily” hand over their firearms. The authorities’ effort, which has reportedly been underway since January, is in line with a 2016 ruling from the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals that determined medical marijuana patients must forfeit their right to bear arms.

“Your medical marijuana use disqualifies you from ownership of firearms and ammunition,” Susan Ballard, the new chief of police said in the letter dated November 13.

The letter warns recipients that they “have 30 days upon receipt of this letter to voluntarily surrender [their] firearms.”

The Star Advertiser reports that the letter, sent to about 30 medical marijuana patients on Oahu, cites Hawaii Revised Statutes, Section 134-7 (a) to justify the government’s demands that medical marijuana users sacrifice their weapons. According to that section:

“No person who is a fugitive from justice or is a person prohibited from possessing firearms or ammunition under federal law shall own, possess, or control any firearm or ammunition therefor.”

U.S. court upholds ban on gun sales to marijuana card holders - POLITICO

A federal government ban on the sale of guns to medical marijuana card holders does not violate the Second Amendment, a federal appeals court said Wednesday.

The ruling by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals applies to the nine Western states that fall under the court's jurisdiction, including California, Washington and Oregon.

It came in a lawsuit filed by S. Rowan Wilson, a Nevada woman who said she tried to buy a firearm for self-defense in 2011 after obtaining a medical marijuana card. The gun store refused, citing the federal rulebanning the sale of firearms to illegal drug users.

Marijuana remains illegal under federal law, and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has told gun sellers they can assume a person with a medical marijuana card uses the drug.

The 9th Circuit in its 3-0 decision said Congress reasonably concluded that marijuana and other drug use "raises the risk of irrational or unpredictable behavior with which gun use should not be associated."

The court also concluded that it's reasonable for federal regulators to assume a medical marijuana card holder was more likely to use the drug.

The Effect of Medical Marijuana Laws on Crime: Evidence from State Panel Data, 1990-2006

RESEARCH ARTICLE
The Effect of Medical Marijuana Laws on Crime: Evidence from State Panel Data, 1990-2006

Robert G. Morris, Michael TenEyck, J. C. Barnes, Tomislav V. Kovandzic
Abstract
Background

Debate has surrounded the legalization of marijuana for medical purposes for decades. Some have argued medical marijuana legalization (MML) poses a threat to public health and safety, perhaps also affecting crime rates. In recent years, some U.S. states have legalized marijuana for medical purposes, reigniting political and public interest in the impact of marijuana legalization on a range of outcomes.

Methods

Relying on U.S. state panel data, we analyzed the association between state MML and state crime rates for all Part I offenses collected by the FBI.

Findings

Results did not indicate a crime exacerbating effect of MML on any of the Part I offenses. Alternatively, state MML may be correlated with a reduction in homicide and assault rates, net of other covariates.

Conclusions

These findings run counter to arguments suggesting the legalization of marijuana for medical purposes poses a danger to public health in terms of exposure to violent crime and property crimes.

Citation: Morris RG, TenEyck M, Barnes JC, Kovandzic TV (2014) The Effect of Medical Marijuana Laws on Crime: Evidence from State Panel Data, 1990-2006. PLoS ONE 9(3): e92816. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0092816

Editor: Joseph A. Keating, Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, United States of America

Received: November 22, 2013; Accepted: February 25, 2014; Published: March 26, 2014

Last edited:
May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
Man Stops Knife Attack With AR-15, Never Fires A Shot

Argue this one datplaya @datplaya

:cool:

OSWEGO, Ill. -- A man armed with an AR-15 rifle helped stop a knife attack during an argument in Oswego.

It happened on Monday at an apartment building on Harbor Drive.

Police say it all began when someone with a knife attacked another person during an argument.

Neighbor Dave Thomas, who witnessed the attack, went into his home, got his rifle and ordered the suspect to stop.

"I ran back into the home, into my house and grabbed my AR-15. Grabbed the AR-15 over my handgun. It's just a bigger gun. I think a little bit more than an intimidation factor definitely played a part in him actually stopping."

No shots were fired.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX

OSWEGO, Ill. -- A man armed with an AR-15 rifle helped stop a knife attack during an argument in Oswego.

Police say it all began when someone with a knife attacked another person during an argument.

Neighbor Dave Thomas, who witnessed the attack, went into his home, got his rifle and ordered the suspect to stop.

"I ran back into the home, into my house and grabbed my AR-15. Grabbed the AR-15 over my handgun. It's just a bigger gun. I think a little bit more than an intimidation factor definitely played a part in him actually stopping."

No shots were fired.
Dude lives in an apartment building and just basically told people "btw, I have guns in here, come rob me when I'm at the grocery store".

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
#small town illinois

On another note if he has a legit gun safe they ain't getting in it during a grocery store trip...
That town is on the edge of Chicago Metro and I don't know too many people with 600-1000lbs. gun safes in apartments.

Dude lives in the type of complex where folks are trying to stab each other outside. I'm just saying I wouldn't want to advertise that I have valuable shit when an apartment door or window can be opened fairly easy lol

Cool he saved somebody from getting stabbed though.

When I lived in apartments I used to hide my guns under stacks of folded jeans in my closet just in case I got robbed they probably wouldn't look there lol too many fucking tweakers in apartment complexes now days.

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
That town is on the edge of Chicago Metro and I don't know too many people with 600-1000lbs. gun safes in apartments.

Dude lives in the type of complex where folks are trying to stab each other outside. I'm just saying I wouldn't want to advertise that I have valuable shit when an apartment door or window can be opened fairly easy lol

Cool he saved somebody from getting stabbed though.

When I lived in apartments I used to hide my guns under stacks of folded jeans in my closet just in case I got robbed they probably wouldn't look there lol too many fucking tweakers in apartment complexes now days.
I said small town illinois as in the guy's (not) thinking as it is a small town (30000) and an hour away from Chicago. I understand your point, in my opinion that's irresponsible gun ownership though.....yes I agree he's dumb for saying shit...

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
Carjacking suspect shot dead by man with concealed weapon in Wisconsin, police say | Fox News

The Milwaukee Police Department said in a news release the 21-year-old suspect, identified as Carlos Martin, was shot after he attempted to carjack a 24-year-old man around 5:50 a.m. near the Milwaukee MachineTool Corporation.

"This is the worst thing that could possibly happen to someone," MPD Captain Andra Williams told FOX6.

He said the would-be carjacker was also armed, and that as carjacking and vehicle thefts continue to rise the incident should serve as a warning.

"This should be a wake-up call to everyone in the community that this is not a game. This is very serious," Williams told FOX6.

May 9, 2002

No shots were fired.
He could have just as easily scared him with a pistol or a shotgun as well.

No one needs an AR-15.