94.9 Flippin the switch

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

SLY

Sicc OG
Feb 18, 2004
www.theslyshow.com
With all the changes that have been made with Power 92.7fm coming and going last year with the Mid 2004 Battles between KMEL and KYLD vs 92.7, I am getting word that KYLD-FM " Wild 94.9" switching there format for the 1st time in roughly 15 years, --- The ratings are something the Executives at Clear Channel arent really proud of. they latest book was clocked At a 2.9 and thats the worse the station has ever generated, recent moves made Midday Personallity Dreena Gonzalez leaving and The "Dogs" Doghouse rejecting too renew there contract. 94.9 is 1 Horrible Place for radio theese days, in theese up-coming months be expecting too get the new format " Hurban" mixture of reggaeton/ spanish speaking radio station... with the new title " Mega 94.9" Clear Channel Recently launched a " Hurban" format station in denver and with the success of Reggaeton/ Tropical music its really the new fad. either way you look at it. The once high-energy dance/CHR station has its days numbered... And thats Commercial radio at its best

this was a email i got, i found this a little interesting taken i came too the bay area 3 years ago too work @ 94.9 based on there " rep" within the industry, i dont work there anymore but talk about a radio station taking a turn for the worst. - this can be a good thing for the bay area rap scene, if this does happen, that means there will be 1 RAP-CHR-STATION, now i dont like KMEL or 94.9, but that will open up the gates one more time for a CHR-Commercial station too come too Market #4 agian, i found this email quite interesting.... definently a good move in my opinion, this station is horrible, i meen listen too it lol

on a side note, radio has come a ways, california was the 1st state too launch any kind of rap/ hip-hop radio station, KMEL was the 1st STATION too ever have a " Summer Jam"- so the originals are def pioneers, and trust me the future is Satelitte radio, Where radio is fun!...

Now for my cheap plug. go too www.95live.com for underground urbane format music, in the process of getting picked up/ signed by sirius sat radio!!!!!!, so for my faithfull listeners on the board good-things is in the pasture :)

Aug 8, 2003
SLY said:
california was the 1st state too launch any kind of rap/ hip-hop radio station
u nailed the problem on the head. The stations are afraid of clear channel and are trying to sidestep the direction that had kali radio jumpin. they'll play rap/hip hop, yes, but not kali rap/hip hop. what do you think the ratio of people in kali who listen to yuk, mac dre is compared to those who listen to fat joe and 50 cent? Why would a bay station try to appeal to a region that doesnt even pick up their station, i dont kno, but in the end that error will be their down fall. U want to be a LOCAL station. play the local muzik.

SLY

Sicc OG
Feb 18, 2004
www.theslyshow.com
TROLL said:
u nailed the problem on the head. The stations are afraid of clear channel and are trying to sidestep the direction that had kali radio jumpin. they'll play rap/hip hop, yes, but not kali rap/hip hop. what do you think the ratio of people in kali who listen to yuk, mac dre is compared to those who listen to fat joe and 50 cent? Why would a bay station try to appeal to a region that doesnt even pick up their station, i dont kno, but in the end that error will be their down fall. U want to be a LOCAL station. play the local muzik.
The Stations aren afraid of clear-channel, clear-channel owns them, back in the Mid 90's the original owners which was evergreen media and chancelor sold themselves too the devil for givin up the stations too CLEAR CHANNEL, and everyone knows it. many djs have left cuz of CLEAR CHANNEL. Dont blame the djs, dont even blame the program dirs, its a company running YOUR LIFE!!!!! thats what clear channel is, they wanna take over everything, the billboards u see, the radio u hear, the tv u see... THATS CLEAR CHANNEL 4 YA!!!

Its sad, but thats life, a horrible lesson learned, commercial radio will just get worse, no matter what you want/ say, thats what the power of money can do. its like this coast too coast... not just frisco area, people think its just here cuz u never go too la, chicago, etc... The GOOD thing about this is when we ( the bay area) do blow up, our music will be on EVERY station, i dont like this system, but whatever, I do feel u and yes its fucked up. support other outlets like KPOO and KPFA.

Aug 8, 2003
does clear channel have a say in what station can play? i know they have strict guidelines but i was told that a programming mech was the stations doing. hence, i still see no reason why they dont appeal to the region.

what stations (diaL) are KPOO AND KPFA. if they support the local talent, then they got my support in return.

SLY

Sicc OG
Feb 18, 2004
www.theslyshow.com
TROLL said:
does clear channel have a say in what station can play? i know they have strict guidelines but i was told that a programming mech was the stations doing. hence, i still see no reason why they dont appeal to the region.

what stations (diaL) are KPOO AND KPFA. if they support the local talent, then they got my support in return.
Clear Channel OWNS them, so yes they have the full say!!!!!...

KPOO - 89.5 FM in FRISCO
KPFA - 94.1 FM the whole bay area ( i think)

Aug 8, 2003
damn, i never realized that the radio has become such a fuckin monopoly. I kno E-A-SKI said it but i never realized HOW deep it went. fuck the radio and clear channel.