65 Should Be The Cut Off For Driving

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Been saying for years old people should be required to take a driving test like every 6 months after the age of 60.

Add your idea of cutting them off at 65 would be perfect.

Old people don't need to be on the roads. Rarely go a day without getting pissed off at some old person driving like a retard.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
I think you all will rethink this if you're lucky enough to make it to 65...especially if you don't have anyone to taxi your ass around
I don't know if they have this where you live, but here seniors get free or reduced price bus passes and we have bus stops on every corner. There's also free and reduced dial-a-ride programs for seniors.

There's also various programs to bring seniors groceries.

Have these programs everywhere....problem solved.

I don't think not having somebody to taxi them around is justification to put dozens possibly hundreds of people's lives at risk every single time they decide they need to take a drive.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Like I said...if you're lucky enough to reach 65, I think...in fact I know you'll feel differently. 65 ain't that old
My dad just turned 65 last week. This was a guy that used to ride motorcycles going 120 and was a wild man in muscle cars.

Now he drives 10 miles under the speed limit and only leaves the house to go grocery shopping at extreme early hours to avoid traffic because he's too timid to drive in traffic anymore (although he would obviously never admit that, I just witness it personally).

I witness a senior who probably shouldn't be driving much longer with my own eyes. I'm smart enough to know if I get to a point where I can't drive, I won't. The big difference between me and a lot of people I don't have that ego, most seniors keep driving because of ego and not wanting to let go.

I'm 34 and already don't like driving, give me an excuse where I don't have to anymore and I'll love it lol

Hood Rat Matt

aka Goodfella (since '02)
Oct 19, 2009
East Oakland (Hills)
My dad just turned 65 last week. This was a guy that used to ride motorcycles going 120 and was a wild man in muscle cars.

Now he drives 10 miles under the speed limit and only leaves the house to go grocery shopping at extreme early hours to avoid traffic because he's too timid to drive in traffic anymore (although he would obviously never admit that, I just witness it personally).

I witness a senior who probably shouldn't be driving much longer with my own eyes. I'm smart enough to know if I get to a point where I can't drive, I won't. The big difference between me and a lot of people I don't have that ego, most seniors keep driving because of ego and not wanting to let go.

I'm 34 and already don't like driving, give me an excuse where I don't have to anymore and I'll love it lol

My uncle just turned 70 and he still builds/races hot rods. If someone suggested he was incapable of operating an automobile, he would whoop their ass. There are so many things that impair people from driving...alcohol being responsible for the most deaths. I know we can go back and forth...there are a lot of folks on here who are contrarians just for the sake of arguing, but I don't think that's the case with you. I just think...well first of all it will never happen, so we can talk about it all we want, but I also think 65 is way too young to take that freedom away

mouth_my_nuts

🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻
Feb 16, 2006
I've seen the motor skills in an old person deteriorate over night because of Parkinson's disease. Agree once you hit 65 there should be frequent tests to evaluate your driving capabilities.

I do 100 everywhere, i drive effective but cautious.

Props: BO$$ and BO$$
Jan 29, 2005
PHX
My uncle just turned 70 and he still builds/races hot rods. If someone suggested he was incapable of operating an automobile, he would whoop their ass. There are so many things that impair people from driving...alcohol being responsible for the most deaths. I know we can go back and forth...there are a lot of folks on here who are contrarians just for the sake of arguing, but I don't think that's the case with you. I just think...well first of all it will never happen, so we can talk about it all we want, but I also think 65 is way too young to take that freedom away

Your uncle probably wouldn't have an issue passing a test a couple times a year like I suggested in my first post in here.

Unfortunately a lot of people his age won't pass those tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hood Rat Matt

Oct 19, 2009
East Oakland (Hills)
Your uncle probably wouldn't have an issue passing a test a couple times a year like I suggested in my first post in here.

Unfortunately a lot of people his age won't pass those tests.

You said the idea of cutting them off at 65 would be perfect because your dad is all fucked up
And there are policies in place to re-evaluate seniors I agree they aren’t strict enough but that’s not what this thread is about

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2005
PHX
You said the idea of cutting them off at 65 would be perfect because your dad is all fucked up
And there are policies in place to re-evaluate seniors I agree they aren’t strict enough but that’s not what this thread is about

No, I gave the example of my dad being a timid driver that won't admit it in response to you saying 65 isn't that old.

I never once said "ban all 65 year olds because of my dad" lol

But also just because your uncle is a good driver at 70 isn't good justification for all old people to be able to wreak havoc on the road.

I'll always argue there should be strict testing after age 60 and I'll admit outright banning at 65 is taking it too far and just hyperbole for the thread.

The problem though is if strict testing was implemented, most old people would fail and fight the testing, even though it will prove they shouldn't be on the road, so it will never happen anyway, especially with most of our law makers hovering around that age 60 lol

I've just personally witnessed way too many old people driving who don't belong on the road in my life to never support their "freedom" to drive. Pass a test twice a year and I'm all for it though, but until those tests happen I'll just be mad on the road and say fuck em

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
.well first of all it will never happen, so we can talk about it all we want, but I also think 65 is way too young to take that freedom away
It is going to happen sooner than you think breh. It is not just going to be taken away from the elderly, but everyone. I work in the sector that is making autonomous vehicles. Their lofty goal is 2020-2025, which I call bullshit, but nonetheless, this is a narrative I do not control and their power over government reaches trillions of times greater than mine and yours. Mind you, this is a worldwide goal, not just the US. So, since you consider driving a freedom, just know that you WILL lose that freedom whether you like it or not.

Hood Rat Matt

Oct 19, 2009
East Oakland (Hills)
It is going to happen sooner than you think breh. It is not just going to be taken away from the elderly, but everyone. I work in the sector that is making autonomous vehicles. Their lofty goal is 2020-2025, which I call bullshit, but nonetheless, this is a narrative I do not control and their power over government reaches trillions of times greater than mine and yours. Mind you, this is a worldwide goal, not just the US. So, since you consider driving a freedom, just know that you WILL lose that freedom whether you like it or not.
I doubt in my lifetime...or my kids’ but we shall see