Does Mozzy suck or am I missing something?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 7, 2002
So, a disclaimer: I'm not from the West Coast but love a lot of the classic and newer Sac rappers. From Lynch to X-Raided, Sicx, Gangsta Dre/Nonfiktion, P-Folks, Dubb Sak to newer cats like T-Nutty, G-Macc and especially Sav and Bleezo and the whole C-Way Camp (when they actually put out music).

Now I'm glad Sac is getting the respect it deserves on a national scale as a result of Mozzy's success (dudes out in NYC where I live who love rap and listen to current artists definitely know who Mozzy is), but I just can't believe that it's this cat, rather than say T-Nutty, who is blowing up. I listened to his record "Mandatory Check" but his flow just seems so lazy and flat throughout, wacker than a lot of the more basic trap rappers without any of that rhythmic flair I always associate with Sactown rappers. The beats are okay, but with so many talented cats from out your way, why the fuck is he stealing all the limelight? Am I missing something? Maybe his earlier mixtapes are better than his new record? Any thoughts?
I couldn't agree more. But when you look at today's mainstream rap,it's not that surprising that cats like Mozzy are the ones getting national attention. Talent does not = mainstream appeal.

DuceTheTruth

No Flexxin No Fakin
Apr 1, 2003
I'm from sac and listen to T-nutty and thought blue venom wasn't good. I only fucked with the intro on that whole project.

You say mozzys flow sounds lazy but that's been his style the whole time. He talks/raps slow but he's got bars. He's "stealing" the limelight cuz he's consistent and you know he's going to put out another project within a few months. Most sac rappers get comfortable or actually work real jobs so they put out 1 project every few years
THIS^

I feel the same way, and I been a T-Nutty fan since day 1. Still am. But just like this post says, Mozzy (Lil Tim) been puttin out projects CONSISTENTLY. If it aint him its someone from his camp. With Nutty on the other hand we gotta wait hella long to get a project we pray that slaps.

Apr 17, 2008
New York City
I actually agree with those June on the Beat comments...that guy is a seriously talented producer. Really dig the beat on that 'Kick Doe' track with Mozzy & E Mozzy, though again June and Mozzy as rappers don't really do the beat justice like I hoped they would IMO. Also, though Mozzy hasn't grabbed my attention the way Nutty and those GBC rappers do, I do want to check out his upcoming project with Trae. I head a couple snippets and Trae with those June beats sounds sick!

Jan 13, 2017
Cali
Ive been listening to Tim since about 2010. His bars have improved alot. I also think he has a back story of being an underdog. An underdog to his environment, the legal system, being from the most hated hood in sac, and a notion (mainly from people not from Sac) that only sac crips make noteworthy music.

Its yet to be seen if his music will stand the test of time, alot of post golden era rap doesnt. I still listen to nonfiktion on a regular basis for example. But what cant be denied, is hes whats poppin right now. And his music definately forces you to have an opinion, good or bad. For outsiders, i think his music is easy to misunderstand due to the complex gang culture that currently exists in Sac. There is a harsh reality behind his music. The amount of violence that has ocurred over the years, that has been perpetuated by the music is staggering.

Does that make it good? Thats up to opinion. It certainly makes it a reflection of current day Sacramento. I personally find the back story more interesting than most. I think Tim is capable of solid bars, and obviously June is ace on the beats....
One thing is certain, Tim and them dudes are majorly eating off this movement. If it allows a few dudes to get out the hood, buy moms a house etc, im all for it.

Jan 13, 2017
Cali
651 I street is in a booming business, and Sac co has unlimited bread to prosecute. I was in there for 2 years fighting a case right around the time zilla was forming. Shit was crazy... but if you are from oakpark, meadowview, dph, highlands, gardens etc, the DA aint got no time for you. I was 18 and in 100 pod back then, so most ppl in there were under 30. Almost daily someone was coming back from court with double digits. 18,19 20 yr olds. Those were the lucky ones. Id say in my 2 years there, about 50 to 100 ppl got an elbow just on 5east

Fast foward 15 years, and I live halfway across Cali. Sac co puts out a warrant for not going to my dui class. So when i get picked up and held down here, Sac co really comes and gets me for it. Between both counties, Im held for like 12 days. When I finally get to court up there, Judge tells me to go to classes within 21 days......or we'll come get you again. Their prosecutorial budget is way to plush.

But I say all that to say, some of the dopest rappers I heard were dudes who got an elbow at 19, story never to be heard. The Op and meadowview dudes stayed having an upcoming rapper or 2 in the pod... fuck sac co