WestSideRap.com Reviews Street Protocol

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 2, 2002
www.westsiderap.com
http://www.westsiderap.com/albumreviews-streetprotocol.htm

Compilations are kinda played out in the Bay Area these days. Everyone and their mother is releasing one it seems. And a lot of them seem to have the same artists and the same songs on them. It's pretty rare these days to find a one that is actually worth getting. Merciless Entertainment Presents "Street Protocol" is one of those rare compilations.

This is a very impressive debut project from beginning to end. This album ain't going to change the game or anything, but they are dropping consistenly good tracks all the way through the album.

The production is tight on most of the tracks, really fitting the subject matter of the tracks nicely. That was handled completely by Vik Bhalla and King Rich. Two producers that you probably haven't heard much from before but if they keep hooking up beats like they did on this album, then they should be making names for themselves very soon.

I can't really pick just one favourite track on here. However I can pick my favourite rapper on here and that was Tony Ca$h. He's on fourteen of the seventeen tracks on this project (him and Young Zae run Merciless Entertainment) and I'd really like to hear a solo album from him in the future. His solo joint "Is It True?" showed his ability to hold down a hott track on his own. The other thirteen tracks he's on are collaborations. "Epic," "Doin The Dude" and "Mobsta" are jus three of the tracks that show how versatile he is and how well he can blend with other artists.

Other artists on this project were Young Zae, Sell Buddha (who came hard on both tracks he was featured on), KD, Prime Status, PJ, King Rich, Skee, Juggernaut, Young Mark & Tanisha. A lot of artists who the majority have probably never heard of before. But Merciless Entertainment took these artists and put them in the studio together with a couple producers and when all was said and done, a dope compilation was born. From beginning to end, minus a couple tracks, from the songs "It's All Range" to "Stuntin Ain't Nothing" to "Them Thangz" to "Kaliqwuakes" to "The Anthem," this album is hott. The artists really had some great chemistry with each other and it shows as the album flows nicely all the way through.

8.5/10