Velvet Music Reviews : M-Dash - Po, Broke & Hungry

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
www.velvetmusic.tk
Vallejo rapper M-Dash drops his debut album, “Po, Broke & Hungry” . Most of you will remember him from the group NBD (Natural Born Dankstas) and from the mixtapes NBD and M-Dash put out, like “Grits and Gravy”. M-Dash comes with a strong first album that will make you see that he can truly hold his own.

One thing that immediately catches your attention are the features. M-Dash has rounded up most of the hot Bay acts that are making some noise right now. Names like Sean T, The Game, A-Wax, JT The Bigga Figga, Cellski and many others can be found dropping a little bit of game on this album. My personal favourite must be Young Dru who drops a great hook on, the little bit too short, “I’m Just A Hustla”. One thing I don’t like as much is that there are only 8 songs of M-Dash solo, which I think is sad cause he can definitely hold down a song by himself. But you shouldn’t be too bothered about that because none of these features come weak!

The songs are very various. They range from straight smoke songs, like ”Smoke On” and “Sticky Icky Oooh”, to the deeper songs like “Lord Please”, which by the way is an amazing song. Some tight songs that represent the West Coast and the Bay to the fullest are “The Left Coast” and “The Bay Never Left”. Besides those there are numerous great track, and almost none are disappointing. This is not only thanks to the delivery of M-Dash and his friends, but also due to the fantastic production this album has. This is another thing that really amazed me. This album is loaded with West Coast and Bay influenced beats by, amongst others Mac Pacino, Tatem1 and Mo Love.

So basically you can’t go wrong with this album. Only a few songs that don’t fit the
overall feel of the album, so that’s very good. M-Dash really showed us that he can put out a great album on a solo tip too. I recommend picking this albums up for really anybody, especially if you like that West Coast flow and beats. To me this was probably one of the best debut albums I heard in a while, and in my opinion it deserves a 4 in 5!

©Baby Nicky