My Review of Hollow Tip - Mercenary Life

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
www.2siccaudio.com
Hollow Tip - Mercenary Life

1) "Merc Life Intro" ft. Yukmouth
Produced by: Vince V.
A solid beat by Vince V. to get the album started with. Hollow comes with a coo gangsta flow. Only thing is that Yukmouth doesn't have a verse at all, he just does some talking and that's it, no verse no hook. A coo little short intro to the album, but I wish Yuk would have had a spit.

2) "Witness the Life"
Produced by: Kreep
A slower paced beat for this song, but the production is solid. They put a Scarface clip in the background. Hollow talks about looking at his life of a man raised on the streets and living a life of crime. A coo beat, and solid flows to go along with it, I'm feeling this one.

3) "Chipz"
A tight, tight ass beat for this song. I'm hella feeling Vince V's production skills. Hollow doesn't dissapoint either, talking about getting those chips any way possible. It doesn't say who does the hook, but he does some solid singing on it. A tight song overall, this is one of my favorite songs on the album.

4) "Boss Niggaz" ft. J-Mack, RC Loc
Produced by: Slump Factory
J-Mack starts it off as a solid beat by the Slump Factory plays in the background. Hollow has the second verse, not feeling his lyrics as much here, he talks more about clothes and style, along with being a boss. RC Loc spits a tight verse, the best verse of the three. A decent song overall, I like RC Loc and the beat the most.

5) "All Night"
Another tight ass beat done by Vince V, it has an uptempo pace to it and gets your head moving. Hollow talks about hitting the clubs, cars and ice. Not my type of track lyrically, but it goes along perfectly with the beat. I'm feeling this one overall.

6) "High Power'd"
A coo beat by the Slump Factory, not feeling it as much as the rest of the beats though. Hollow comes alright on the mic. A decent track overall, probably my least favorite track on the album.

7) "How I Do" ft. RC Loc, J-Mack
A slow paced beat, kinda gives a relax and kick back feel. Hollow starts it off on the mic with an ok verse, nothing special. Hollow spits a second verse and then J-Mack spits a coo verse with has ultra fast paced flows. Once again RC Loc outshines both veteran rappers as he finishes off the song with a tight verse. A coo song overall, nothing oustanding, but solid.

8) "Savival" ft. K-Critikal, Mic-C
A decent beat here, nothing that really stands out about, a normal beat. K-Critikal starts it off with a decent verse. I'm not feeling the hook by Hollow at all, he can't hit the high notes well. Mic-C spits the second verse, but I'm not feeling him at all. Not really into Hollow's verse either, just not into this song at all.

9) "Real Big"
The tightest beat on the alubm right here. Vince V lays down another tight ass beat that gets your head moving. Hollow talks about living big. I'm diggin it more for the production, this track is tight.

10) "Mercenaries" ft. The Mercenaries
A clean beat by the Slump Factory for this track. Hollow's group the Mercenaries get a chance to shine on this song. The verses are coo, not really feeling Mic-C's that much. Young Sav spits a solid third verse. Playa Mac comes the best of the Mercenaries in my opinion. Hollow holds it down with the best verse. A solid song overall, the beat adds to a couple solid verses.

11) "Lyke Me" ft. San Quinn
An ok beat by the Slump Factory, not really feeling it much, but it's alright I guess. Hollow starts it off with a solid flow. Hollow talks about everyone who wants to be a rapper like him. This song is just like the first one, Quinn doesn't have a verse like Yuk didn't. I'm very dissapointed after seeing this one two seperate tracks.

12) "4 My Niggaz"
A decent beat by Vince V, probably the weakest of the six tracks he produced. Hollow Tip comes alright on the mic, nothing special. The hook is a little weak too. Not really diggin this track that much.

13) "All on a Bitch" ft. The Mercenaries
A tight beat by the Slump Factory to finish off the album with. The Mercenaries are back this time I'm feeling 'em more than their first appearance. A solid finish to the album.

Overall this was a decent release from Hollow Tip. There were a couple of tracks that really banged and got your head moving, but for the most part they were decent beats. Hollow Tip came alright on the mic, but it's funny looking back at the lyrics he came with on Takin No Shortz, more of the hardcore gangsta shit that got him where he is today. Now it's more of being a kingpen and clothes and bling type of shit. I miss the old Hollow lyrics that got him to this point. The features were good, except that both Yukmouth and San Quinn didn't have verses, they just talked, I felt really jipped by that. If you are a big Hollow Tip fan you'll probably end up picking this one up, but it's only a decent release overall.

Overall Rating = 3/5