Living Legends- Classic

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
Living Legends have been known for years in underground hip hop circles. The group, consisting of a mix of MCs from the East Bay, Los Angeles, and a member from Fresno, has steadily built up their reputation through ground routes movements, the internet, shows, and new albums from members or associates every month. Amoung some of the more popular members, the LLCrew includes Murs, the Grouch, Sunspot Jones and Aesop.

To most West Coast / Siccness style fans, the Living Legends have little room in the expanding bay area bubble that is making the region ripe for major status. Though few will dispute the LL Crews flow or experience, most West Coast fans are unattracted by a number of their beats, quite basic in nature. Another problem most fans may discover is the subject matter is usually far from gangster, more everyday experiences and hip hop culture rhymes. The last LLCrew album, "Creative Differences" was the epitomy of a weak album from a West Coast mind state: sore beats, bad sounds, unusual choruses, and lack of understanding of LL's underground culture.

The newest album from the eight man group is both innovative and a full circle return to the undlerground lyrics that created the large underground audience they keep without promotion or radio play. Indeed, one could fit the "Classic" sound with many emerging artists encompassing the label of "New Bay" such as Frontline, the Team, Equipto.

The beats of the new album are UPGRADED to say the least. The traditional LL producers, Eligh, Grouch and Sunspot Jones, still produce a majority of tracks, but also collaborate with a number of other producers to bolden their beats with a modern sound. The result is a number of tracks with Southern California/ Dr. Dre style sounds and kicks, complemented with lyrics involving street credibility. "Brand New" starts off "I dont make mixtapes i dont care who did, i make whole records make more than you did, mr buck 45 bout to trip on you suckas wavin' rags you aint never been crips."

The LL Crew has also brought an east coast style sound to songs like "Never Falling." Created with piano notes and simple drum slaps and kicks, the track uses sampling similar to East Coast "chipmunk" voices. "Tears and Pain" incorporates the chipmunk style voice with a faster paced West Coast beat.

The breakthrough of innovation has finally touched the LL Crew, but a number of tracks remain the same. "The Man who Sold the World" sounds unusually similar to a number of tracks on the LL Crews 2002 release "Almost Famous." The LL Crew also brings their annual song about groupies on "Busted," and the positive hip hip vibe from previous albums in "Good Fun."

To say the least, Classic is something for everyone. The LLCrew has evolved its sound and added appeal to traditional West Coast listeners through the production, but remained true to their fans with their hip hop lopyrics and positive vide. To say the most, "Classic" embodies all of the talent and concepts to make an album worthy of that name. I strongly reccomend this album to hip hop heads, fans of Nickatina, Equipto, NH, Frontline, the Team, also to those who enjoy a different sound that brings a smile to their face.

9/10

Jake

Sicc OG
May 1, 2003
its all about the production this time around for me,really made the difference for me and is a major upgrade...between the crews beats and the ones by dj khalil i was really impressed with the production..made this group album really stand out compared to the others.much more consistant track to track then their other group albums,first group album i can say i listen to front to back.

one of those reasons is a lot less from their most inconsistant member,that being sunspot jonz,the lack of him really helps this cd,cause he instantly ruins good tracks...even the tracks he is on are more slow paced so the fact he cant ride a beat at all isnt as prevalent.less tracks for him meant more tracks for more talented members such as Murs,who is featured a lot more than in past group albums,which is a definite plus

almost famous might of had a couple really dope songs that classic can't top but overall i think classic is a better overall album...anticiptaing albums like 3MG and The Underbosses even more now,cause the quality of LL's albums lately has really been stepped up

classic>almost famous>creative differences

Apr 25, 2002
SiccFucc said:
classic>almost famous>creative differences
I agree with that.

You sound like you really aint feelin Sunspot too much? I dont think he is the sickest but i still like some of the stuff he does, his verse on Never Fallin Down is pretty hard. I guess in comparison to MURS though, I could see where you feel that. Personally i think Sunspot does a great job of ridin a quicker beat on Might Be You from Creative Differences.

I really hope that these dudes stay together and keep recording their shit. I was really dissapointed with Creative Differences but when I heard classic I couldnt help but put one in the air real fat. They seemed to have handled their fame and fortune quite well but as it increases im sure jealousy will become more and more of an issue, especially in a group with 8 members...

Jake

Sicc OG
May 1, 2003
i dont hate sunspot and his latest material is some of the best i have heard form him,he is definitly improving...but with that said,he doesnt come anywhere close to any other member,so if you do things by comparison,and within the group format he has always been the weak link in my eyes