JP Tha Hustler - Definition review by Hustla

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 5, 2008
www.neversodeeprecords.com

Tracklist:

01. Bang It Out (Bangin' Trax)
02. Fo' Sho (feat. Spark, Insane Poetry & Omowale Payne)
03. Wannabe Thugs (feat. Mr. Prophet & Omowale Payne)
04. Dirty (feat. Spark)
05. Definition Of A Hustler
06. Paranoid (feat. Insane Poetry)
07. Wake Up (feat. Insane Poetry)
08. Fuck 'Em All (feat. Insane Poetry)
09. Darkside (feat. Insane Poetry & Scum)
10. Still Can't (feat. McNastee)
11. Dirty (English/Spanish Radio Mix) (feat. Taab Frio)

Year: 2009
Label: Grim Reality Entertainment

The Definition Of A Hustler...

JP Tha Hustler is one of the members of Insane Poetry - a very well known horrorcore group. Now, I have an honor to review his newest album called "Definition...". It was released on Grim Reality Entertainment, a label, which JP and Cyco created back in 2003. To be honest with you, I don't know what to expect. I haven't heard any new music from GRE for a few years (except for Cycos "The Snuff Reels", but it was released on NSD Records). So let's sink into the unknown and find out more about being a hustla.

Hustle 24/7

01. Bang It Out (Bangin' Trax)
The first track is a typical example of gangsta rap. Let me quote a verse. “When they up in your hood, up to no good, do it like you should homie, bang it out! When it's time to catch wreck, protect your neck, crank up the deck, let's bang it out!” The beat is kinda funky, leaves a positive feeling. I don't like the autotune which appears when JPs says "Bang it out". Other than that, it’s a good track, especially for an opening to the album.

02. Fo' Sho (feat. Spark, Insane Poetry & Omowale Payne)
I love the hook, „Like oh, fo’ sho, do what you have to, go and get that dough!”. Another gangsta track, west coast style. The guests did okay, I especially like Cycos verse. The beat fits the song, especially that trumpets in proper places. It’s one of my favourite tracks from the album.

03. Wannabe Thugs (feat. Mr. Prophet & Omowale Payne)
Definitely the worst song. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not bad, just not my jam. The only thing I like about it is the hook, it’s calm but brings a lot of energy in lyrics. The beat is also nice.

04. Dirty (feat. Spark)
The third best track from the cd. It’s about sex and all kinky fetishes connected with it. Girls, you can get to know how JP and Spark like to do that! The beat is dark and portentous. Normally, it wouldn’t fit a song about sex but it fits this one. (weird, huh? I know.)

05. Definition Of A Hustler
Another JPs solo song. Too bad it’s so short, it lasts only over a minute. But hey, you can get to know the true definition of a hustler! Real deal.

06. Paranoid (feat. Insane Poetry)
The second best joint on “Definition”. Like you can presume from the title, the song is about paranoia. Dark beat and sick, gloomy lyrics. Now that’s definitely my cup of tea. Has a horrorcore feeling. Cycos verse in this track is his best verse on the whole album, you can clearly hear emotions in his crazy flow.

07. Wake Up (feat. Insane Poetry)
Brainwashing the society, that’s what this song is about. I like it because it’s real, JP and Cyco speaks the truth, “wake up, they’re telling you lies!”. Anyway, the beat is okay. The only thing I don’t really feel is the hook.

08. Fuck 'Em All (feat. Insane Poetry)
“Middle fingers up like fuck them all”. That’s right, this song is dedicated to all fake gangsters and wannabe rappers. I like the beat and the lyrics. The hook is also dope.

09. Darkside (feat. Insane Poetry & Scum)
Ladies and gentleman, let me introduce to you the best song on the album. A perfect combination of horrorcore and gangsta rap. I mean, come on, JP, Cyco and Scum on one track? Shit speaks for itself. You can take a journey into the dark side of their minds. The lyrics are sick, the beat is dark (I love the sample during the hook), you can’t go wrong with that. Scum’s verse is also nice. There’s an upcoming project, an collab album between Insane Poetry and Scum. I can tell you that I can’t wait for that cd as a big fan of horrorcore music.

10. Still Can't (feat. McNastee)
Another cool song with a really good guest. McNastee is a great lyricist and one of my favourite artists. I especially like the JPs verse in this song, he rips the beat apart! Well, I also agree with his verse, “These bitches in the industry have been doing shit sooo wrong.” I was trying not to bash mainstream in this review but I just couldn’t stop myself, so – FTI!

11. Dirty (English/Spanish Radio Mix) (feat. Taab Frio)
It’s a remix of the “Dirty” song. It features an Spanish artist, Taab Frio. I don’t know him and franky I don’t even know what he says since I don’t know this language. I just can rate his flow and it’s not bad. Remember that it’s the radio version of the song so you won’t hear cussing and stuff like that. But if you own a radio station, make sure to play this track because it’s a banger!

A day off.

To sum up, it’s an gangsta rap/horrorcore album with a characteristic west coast vibe. There are no weak songs. Just dope tracks and very good guests (especially Scum, McNastee and Spark). I don’t mention Insane Poetry because they are almost all over the album which is actually a really good thing. Production is also dope, JP is a very talented beat maker aswell as lyricist. The album is short, a little over 30 minutes but I think it’s a plus. A big one to be exact. Long albums are mostly boring and you feel fed up in a middle of listening to one. In this case you’ll be left with a feeling that you want more and I like that feeling, I’m looking forward to next releases from GRE. If you like that type of music, make sure to pick it up and bump it in your CD player, loud. If you’re not into that kind of music, give it a try, you might love it or you might hate it. The point is – if there’s even a small chance that you’ll love it, give it a try.

- Hustla