Full Review: Night Shield - Savage Display

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
www.2siccaudio.com
1. "Intro"
Produced by: Mr. D-Sane
Night Shield's second solo album gets started off with a coo beat by D-Sane. Night Shield spits a short verse and then the track ends. Nice little intro to the album.

2. "Total Package"
D-Sane lays down a tight ass beat for this track. It gets your head moving as Night Shield spits some clean sounding flows, talking about being the total package. This is a hard ass track, one of my favorite tracks on the album.

3. "Rhyme Rules All" ft. Triple Crown, Maniac
Maniac impresses me the most on this song. A good beat by D-Sane to get things started. Maniac starts it off with a tight ass verse, I'm feeling him a lot. Cinatra spits the second verse. Night Shield is third and Overflow finishes off the track with the fourth verse. I'm feeling Overflow a lot more on this song too than what I've heard from him in the past. A well rounded track overall, I'm feeling it.

4. "Get Stupid"
A club song right here. D-Sane brings the heat with a tight beat that gets your head moving. Night Shield spits some solid flows, but I don't this is his strongest track lyrically. Still a good song to slap, you can see people getting down to this one.

5. "When You Hear That" ft. Maniac, The Young Nobles
Another good beat from D-Sane, it has a dark sound to it that fits the mood of the track. They talk about seeing who gets tough when they hear that click clack. I'm feeling just about all the verses on this one. Some hardcore raps spit on this one. More good work on the mic and solid beat to go along with it.

6. "Anything You Want" ft. Tyshawn
A slower type of song right here. They take it down to an R&B pace for this one. Night Shield talks about a woman. Tyshawn lays down some nice vocals on the chorus. D-Sane ties it all together with a good beat. A solid song overall.

7. "Roses" ft. Chad Sharp
One of those sentimental tracks. D-Sane brings a slow paced beat. I don't like the background voice he put in though, it gets a little annoying. Night Shield raps about his wife. Chad Sharp has some nice background vocals on the chorus. It's a decent track, I liked the previous song a little more than this one. A decent track overall.

8. "Picture Perfect" ft. Young Trev, Maniac, Yaiva
Produced by: Deztined
I'm feeling this beat by Deztined. A nice medium paced sound to the track. The flows are pretty good on this track too. Not one of my favorite tracks, but it's coo.

9. "Keep on Rockin'" ft. Young $krill, Christina Bulatao
Produced by: Maniac
A slow paced beat by Maniac for this song. The production is alright, not nearly the best on this album. Night Shield gets it started with a slow paced flow. I like his voice a lot more on the faster paced tracks. Christina Bulatao handles the background vocals with her strong voice. I'm not feeling Young $krill much. His lyrics aren't that great and his voice isn't much better. Not really feeling this track at all.

10. "Got it Twisted" ft. Triple Crown, Young Trev
Produced by: Chad Sharp
Medium paced beat by Chad Sharp for this track. Night Shield starts it off on the mic talking about always staying on the grind. I like his flow on the chorus too, my favorite part of the song. Cinatra has the second verse and spits a solid flow. Overflow has the third verse and comes coo. Young Trev finishes off the song, but I'm not feeling his style as much as the other three. A pretty good song overall though, I'm feeling it.

11. "Waiting"
Produced by: Mike Dresch
Night Shield talks about his baby on this track. Christina Bulatao handles the background vocals on the track. I like the production by Mike Dresch, it has kind of an old school sound to it. Night Shield spits from the heart on this one. A coo song overall, a little change of pace from the rest of the album.

12. "Make You Dance"
This is a little mix song. They use a Roger Troutman talk box beat in the background as Night Shield talks about hitting the club and making you dance. The song gets your head moving as the flows hit hard on the mic. One of my favorite tracks on the album.

13. "You Like That" ft. Triple Crown
Produced by: Big Ice & Oral Bee
Seems like every beat Big Ice & Oral Bee gets their hands on is fire. This one is no different, the beats kicks off the song and then Triple Crown spits some good verses. All three come tight on this one. Just a clean sounding track with a hard bang. Tight slap.

14. "(605) We Run Shit"
Produced by: Funk Daddy
A tight ass sounding beat by Funk Daddy to get it started. This song really gets your head moving as Night Shield spits the tight flows on the mic talking about the 605 area code. Another tight track, I'm feeling it to the fullest.

15. "Why You Pussy" ft. Young Trev, Pockets, Cin'atra, United Ballaz
Well I guess you can't go wrong with D-Sane production. This beat is fucking fire!!! Night Shield gets the whole crew to stop by for a verse. This is probably my favorite track on the album, or at least my second favorite. The production is off the hook and the flows keep the hard edge feel going. A tight ass track, don't sleep on it.

16. "Where'z My $ at?" ft. Frank Dux, Overflow
Produced by: Overflow
I like Frank Dux's style a lot on this song. Overflow provides a pretty good beat. I like Overflow on the mic a lot more on this album. He avoids trying to hit the high notes and I think that was the reason I didn't like his style on previous songs I heard from him. Night Shield finishes off the song with a good verse too. A solid song overall.

17. "The Life"
Produced by: Funk Daddy
Not feeling this Funk Daddy beat as much as the last one, but it's still pretty good. Night Shield talks about the rap life. It's an average song, not feeling it as much as the rest of the album.

18. "Savage Display (Cruelty II)" ft. Young Trev, Yaiva, Supaman, Maniac, Tactile, Shadowyze, Redd Reign, Eternal, BadBoy, Red Cloud
Once again Night Shield brings together the whole NSE crew. D-Sane provides another solid, dark sounding beat. The whole lineup has heat up and down. A coo song to finish off the album with, everyone gets a chance to shine.

Overall this was another solid release from Night Shield. He keeps with the same things that has made his albums good in the past. Good production, mixed with solid features and just real life lyrics. The songs from Triple Crown are getting better and better everytime I hear them. Maniac impressed me a lot. Nobody can question D-Sane's production skills, especially after hearing the slaps he laid out on this album. Another good effort from South Dakota's own native Night Shield.

Overall Rating = 4/5 stars