Full Review: Guce - Controversial

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
www.2siccaudio.com
1. "Intro"
Guce does a little talking to star the album.

2. "Guce Nigga"
Produced by: Tatum 1
Tatum 1 lays down an ok beat for this track. The tracklisting is all out of order too, this is listed as track 6 in the booklet. Guce comes with a much slower type of flow than I'm used to from him. His voice has more of a relaxed sound to it than his normal rough and hardcore sound. He talks about being the man in the city of San Francisco. A decent song overall.

3. "The City"
Produced by: Sean T
A better beat from Sean T for this track. I like Guce's flow a lot more on this song too. He spits a little faster, although it's not the speed that he showed on his last album Pill Music. He just lays down those typical Guce gangsta lyrics, talking about San Francisco again. It's a good song overall, I'm feeling it.

4. "Luv 2 Hate" ft. Charlie Manhattan
This is one of my favorite tracks on the album. Sean T laces it up with a fucking tight ass beat that gets your head moving. Guce spits the flames on the first verse, talking about he's the nigga you love to hate. Guce spits another tight verse and then Charlie Manhattan does some talking to finish off the track. This one is a tight ass slap, I'm feeling it to the fullest.

5. "Do Somethin"
Produced by: Toy Shop
The tracklisting is all fucked up on the insert, but what I got here is the correct tracklisting. The beat for this track is alright, done up by the Toy Shop. Guce talks about when someone talks shit they need to do something about it. The track is alright overall, not the best, but it's got a good sound to it.

6. "Let Me Know" ft. Jet
Never heard any work from Jet before, but I'm feeling his flow a lot on this track. He and Guce have the same type of style on the mic, hard and gritty. Sean T laces up another solid beat as both Guce and Jet bring the heat on the mic. A solid song overall.

7. "Bang"
Let's face it you can't go wrong with Sean T making your beats. He lays down a slapper once again, I'm feeling those background instruments added in. Guce talks about bangin the streets, saying fuck a job. This is another one of my favorite tracks on the album. Just a tight slap right here.

8. "Act a Fool" ft. Da Hood Stars
Another bangin beat from Sean T. Da Hood Stars make for a good feature too. I'm not feeling their flows as much as Guce, but they put it down on the mic. I'm not even sure who each member is, but I'm feeling them. Guce puts it down on the first verse and the chorus. Another good track to bump.

9. "My Homies"
Produced by: Tore
A slower pace to this track. Tore lays down a good beat. Guce talks about all his homies on the block. The only thing I don't like about it is the length. I think it's a good song, but he should have cut down the length of the track to around 3 minutes instead of 5. A nice little change of pace track.

10. "Rat Heads"
The production is ok by the Toy Shop, but I think the beat was just missing something. I don't like the chorus at all either. I don't know who did the vocals on the hook, but I'm not him at all. Guce lays down some good verses, talking about some fake snitches, but his verses are wasted on this beat and weak chorus.

11. "2 Step"
Another solid beat by Sean T, although this is one of my least favorite of the beats he produced. Guce talks about doing the same old thing players do all the time. It's a solid song, although there isn't much outstanding, just an average track.

12. "Dam Thang"
Sean T laces it up with a coo, medium paced beat. Guce talks about just chillin out and doing your damn thing all night long. I think this track would have been perfect for a feature. Another average song.

13. "Cash Rules"
Tore brings a nice slow to medium paced beat that has a relaxed feel to it. Guce just talks about the cash on this one. He spits about how cash rules everything in the world. A good track, a little better than the previous two songs, I'm feeling it.

14. "Holla"
A more uptempo track right here. Toy Shop laces up Guce with a tight ass beat to get things started. Guce keeps it hard on the mic, talking about snitches. The beat really gets your head moving on this track and the more I hear the more I like it. Another very good song, I'm feeling it.

15. "Not Listen" ft. Keak Da Sneak
Definately one of my favorite tracks on the album. The beat is bangin by Tore from 101 Music. Keak starts the track off with a good verse. Guce and Keak give a shout to Mac Dre on this one. Guce comes with a tight verse. The chorus fits well and the beat bangs, you can't ask for more than that. A tight ass track, I'm feeling it to the fullest.

16. "The Remedy"
Produced by: B.C.
Another medium paced track right here. I like the production done up by B.C. it has a good sound to it and some nice background instruments used. Guce spits more good lyrics, just spitting a nice relaxed flow. A solid song overall.

17. "Get Doe"
This is more of the Guce I'm used to right here. Sean T laces him up with a fast paced beat that has a good sound to it. Guce rips up the mic with some fast ass paced flows. This is more of that hardcore Guce I'm used to hearing. He talks about, what else, getting some cash. I'm not a big fan of the background vocals on the chorus though, but besides that it's a tight slap, I'm feeling it.

18. "Outro"
Guce does some more talking to finish off the album. He talks about some upcoming albums hitting stores some time next year.

Overall this was a pretty good release from Guce. I wasn't feeling it quite as much as the Pill Music he released earlier this year. Sean T proves once again that he's one of the elite on the production with the bangers he laced up Guce with. The features were on point although there were only a few. The track with Keak was one of my favorites. Guce himself comes tight as always, keeping it gangsta. I just think there were a few songs that were rough around the edges with poor background vocals or chorus' and some beats weren't all that great. Not as good as Pill Music, but definately worth dropping your cash for.