Full Review: Andre Nickatina & Equipto - Gun-Mouth 4 Hire

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
www.2siccaudio.com
1. "U Got Talent"
Produced by: Big D
This track gets the album started off in the right direction. The beat by Big D is on point and gets your head moving. Andre Nickatina and Equipto come tight as usual. These two are a perfect duo on the mic, both coming with unique raps, holding it down for the Bay Area rap game. Another good start to the third Nickatina and Equipto album.

2. "Da Spitz"
Produced by: Nick Peace, Mike Marshall
This is my favorite track on the album. Nick Peace provides another well produced beat as both Nicky and Quipto rip up the mic. Both rappers keep it original on the mic with more tight flows just talking about those spits. I'm feeling this one to the fullest.

3. "Bonus" ft. Jacka
Produced by: Rob Lo, Husalah
A coo beat by Rob Lo and Husalah for this track. Nickatina starts it off with an ok verse. The Jacka really shines on this song. The beat sounds much better with his voice than Nicky's. A pretty solid song, but it really sounds better for Jacka's verses than Nickatina's. No Equipto on this song either.

4. "Caught in a Verse"
A slower paced beat for this track. Nickatina hits the mic first with a slow paced flow. Equipto has the second verse and I think does a much better job than Nicky on the mic. Each have one verse and then the beat plays out with a nice piano in the background. A nice slow paced track.

5. "A Pimp's Blood"
Produced by: Danker-D
Back to a faster paced beat for this track. Danker-D lays down a tight beat with a hard ass bass line. This is another one of my favorite tracks. The beat is good and the verses are on point. Another tight jam from Equipto and Nickatina.

6. "God Gimmie G's
Produced by: Nick Peace, Willie (June) Adams
Not really feeling the beat to this track, it sounds really boring. This is a Nickatina solo track. I like his lyrics a lot, but the beat really puts you off. Maybe if he got hooked up with some better production this would have been a better track. It's decent at best as it is.

7. "Sip on Dat Note"
Produced by: Nick Peace
This is an instrumental track by Nick Peace except that it has some clips from "The Gift" movie mixed in. I like the instruments on the production, but I think they should have just left it as a regular instrumental and kept the snippits out of the song.

8. "All N Da Game" ft. Mike Marshall, Shag Nasty
A pretty solid beat to get things started off. Equipto grabs the mic for the first verse and spits a tight flow. Shag Nasty has the second verse and spits some game. Mike Marshall handles the vocals on the chorus with his signature R&B rhymes. No Nickatina on this track, but Shag and Quipto hold it down without him. Another one of my favorite tracks. A tight jam.

9. "Tell Dat to Dummies"
Produced by: Freddy Machete
A nice relaxed feel you get from the beat by Freddy Machete. Equipto hits the mic with a coo flow. Halfway through Nickatina takes over. I'm feeling him more than Equipto on this track, I like his delivery a lot on this one. Not a hard slapping track, but the lyrics are on point. A solid song overall.

10. "Knyte Rydah" ft. Mike 2x's
Produced by: Just Luv
Mike 2x's starts it off on the mic, but I think his flow goes a little too fast for the beat. The production isn't all that tight on this track either. Equipto spits the second verse and comes ok. Nickatina finishes off the track with the best verse of the three. With they could have got hooked up with some better production though. A decent track at best.

11. "Cottoncandyland (CD Mix)"
Produced by: Flava-Matic
The beat is too loud on this track. They did this little effect on their voices that makes it sound like they are rapping over the phone or something, but the production is too loud, you can barely hear what they are saying. The production is coo and the flows are good too, but they are drowned out by the production being too loud.

12. "4am - Bay Bridge Music"
Produced by: Laird
An interesting, but good sounding beat for this track. Nickatina and Equipto trade off verses well as both bring the heat. Equipt comes with more heat than Nicky, but both keep up the good work on the mic. Another solid track, I'm feeling it overall.

13. "Box of Lucky Charms"
Produced by: Nick Peace
Why not add a rap about breakfast to fit in with Nickatina's weird asortment of raps. Nick Peace lays down an ok beat, it takes a long time for the bass to really kick in and get going. Nickatina and Equipto do the typical trade off of short verses with both coming with more good lyrics. A good song to finish the album with, I'm feeling this one.

Overall this was another solid release from Andre Nickatina and Equipto. This is the follow up album to Horns and Halos which was released earlier this year. I'm not feeling this one nearly as much as that realease, but there are definately some good songs to slap on this album. The features were few, but I was feeling Shag Nasty and The Jacka a lot as well as Mike Marshall's vocals. The production wasn't as good as on Horns and Halos. Nickatina and Equipto stay strong on the microphone though and maintain their status as one of the best solo and duo rappers in the Bay Area. If you liked Horns and Halos you'll like this album too. Still an above average album, but not as good as Horns and Halos. The album also contains a DVD featuring a music video of "Heelz" from Horns and Halos as well as video from a show Nickatina and Equipto did at Blake's in Berkeley.