Celly Cel - It'z Real Out Here

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 12, 2002
dope.st
Dammit mayne.... just heard that advance, it's pretty cool, one or two tracks are slappin... Deep Conversation was cool but this is the first time Celly has been on some new sounding beats and cleaner production, but thankfully he also spit over some mobb sounding beats too so it's a cool mix without changing up styles too much. The only thing that lets the album down is that too many of the choruses are wack, corny repetitive lines. But Celly spits nicely, the album ain't overloaded with appearances, and comes hard as hell on a couple of tracks. There is also some filler shit on this though too. I'd say 6.5 out of 10 on this one.

1. Never Leave U Again... CD opens up with Cel speaking over an intro beat with a classic 40 water Sickwidit sample "Celly Cel / Hillside" scratched in against Cel asking "Guess Who's Back"

2. Thugged Out... Celly jumps in there on a heavy rolling bass break, shit knocks hard, the chorus is kinda corny though. But Cel has some cool lines "Make it pop again / Cell got the knock again" "What.. ever since Tupac told me / When he in my City he have to find Mike Mosely / You can't tell me a motherfuckin thing / When the best rapper that ever lived was bumping me man"

3. Whatugonedo? feat. Stress of Federation... Dammmit, this beat is fucking dumb, this cut slaps way too hard, going to be playing this for a minute, its freaks a burst of Parliament over fast Rick Rock sounding percussion. Celly open hard with 'I came through the door / I said it before" and Stress rips it up too "Yeah we like Jigga / But play Too Short". This is one hot track.

4. Jealous... This a laid back cut, low slung bass chords with a simple high melody and a girl singing out the chorus. The production with the low synth chords reminds me of his classic 'It's Going Down'. Celly tells the story of how he got put on and hooked up with D-Shot and then Sickwidit. Its a cool reflective beat, and Cel speaks on each of his albums and his history... it's clean, dude has one of the clearest flows in the game.

5. Who Is That?.... Aaaargh damn, this one is a Down South / crunk track, why everyone got to do one lol... Beat is very similar to Bia Bia, at least the bass rolls the same, its a bit more laid back though, opens with a corny chorus from Celly and someone with an annoying flow and voice completing the chorus, not feeling it at all. Skip this one...

6. I Told Yall... This an offbeat staccato Sac-sounding kinda beat, sounds like something Bo or Lynch would flow over. Beat is cool though, older more mobbish sound, same kind of track and flow as was on Deep Conversation. Celly speaking some game.

7. No Tomorrow... A laid back beat, very similar to track 4, low bass and a simple high end synth melody. I'm feeling the chorus on this, a very soulful singer, almost sounds Gospel, Celly's flow is clean spitting about death... a sad tune.

8. It's Real Out Here ft. Hobo Tone, Young Kev, Moe Cheez... Damn, this is some shit, the beat slumps, its like a classic mobb sound with a midwest Kansas City feel, cats taking sixteen each.

9. Scrape With Me ft. Juvenile, Doonie Baby of Federation... People will have heard this cut knocking hard on MP3 and radio recently.. but... damn... either Celly changed it up for the album or the radio rip was the deejay playing it up some BPM speed... this is way slower than the version cats have heard... and... there's suddenly a wack wack chorus on it. Really dissappointing, was feeling it before, but I couldn't play this shit with such an annoying chorus.

10. D-Boyz feat. E-40.... Oh boyyy, thats how to bring it back, the beat on this one is hard as hell, its knocking down buildings. Like a lot of Celly's shit the chorus always seems a bit corny, but its cool to hear 40 and Cel trading verses. 40 comes with his old harder mobbish flow, and Celly comes hard "Guilty? I went wild when I heard it / Jury left for five minutes and came with this verdict? / Looked at the judge like fuck this shit / If I was strapped right now I would buck this bitch". A hard-ass knocking beat.

11. Senorita feat. Jay Tee, Chev... a latin beat, freakin latin acoustic guitar, clean shit feeling this, nice production, Cel raps on the chorus over a girl singing, his verse is cool but Jay Tee on the last verse comes cleanest with his flow. A cool radio sounding track.

12. Real Niggaz feat. WC... A classic sounding West Coast G-funk beat, based on that line from the Gap Band - Oops Upside Your Head "Everybody don’t believe that I want to dance..." that Snoop used on his second album on 'Snoops upside your head'. This sounds the same with a pimp flavoured chorus, but this one is harder, WC comes heated as always and Celly's flow is at its best spittin hard... it's some clean-ass west coast funk.

13. They Go 2 Wayz... This is a nicely produced track, a rolling low piano loop with soft staccatto percussion and over produced high-end sounds. Celly's flow is cool, it's a nice track all round, nothing special, but clean shit.

14. When I Ride feat. Mac Reese, Protajay... HARD ASS track. The beat is familiar to me, I heard a lotta freestyles over it but I can't place where it's originally from. Its an evil beat, a low growling bassline where each cat opens up to 'State your name'... 'Where you from'... On this one Celly and the Hillside Stranglaz tear shit to pieces. The Stranglaz need to drop an album, this cut is gangsterous. It's Cel's best flow on the whole album, he rips it up, too damn hard. Again the chorus is kinda corny, but you don't get time to notice waitin for the next verse to come crashing down.

15. I Want You feat. Art N Soul... This another clean up-to-date beat with a pure R&B sound, Art N Soul open up with a Pharrell / Neptunes sounding chorus based on a classic tune I can't recall "gots to have it" (?) It's some acoustic guitar and R&B chords. Celly's flow is aiight, its just not really a Celly sounding beat so it doesn't feel right, Cel seems wasted on it.

16. Not The Average... Platinum sounding production, this shit is clean, sounds like a Dr. Dre beat, with a bit of an East Coast feel, a lick of piano and a burst of synth voices at the end of each line like on Just Blaze shit. Celly comes clean and clear, perhaps his flow is a little too simple and another corny chorus, but otherwise it's aiight.

17. Keep It Real... This is a laid back beat, I'm not feeling the beat too much, it has an odd sounding repetitive distant car alarm / dialtone sounding background noise that kind of gets annoying after a second. But Celly is spitting hard on this one so it's all good, it's an interesting track, and in terms of lyrics one of the better tracks on the album.

Overall enough hard tracks to make this worth swooping, the choruses are kinda corny and tired all the way through, but if you're cool with that it's a nice album... it's no way classic material like from his Sickwidit days but take out 'Who Is That?' (down south sound), the album version of 'Scrape With Me' (super-wack new chorus), and 'I Want You' (soul) and its mostly a solid album, and Whatugonedo? one of the best tracks so far in 2005.

Celly has one of the clearest voices and hardest sounds in the game but sometimes his flow is too simple or tired sounding. On a heavy track like Whatugonedo or the opening track, or tracks with WC, 40 or Hillside Stranglaz he is at his best coming heated, but on softer production his flow can seem boring after a while. Overall though its cool to hear Celly again and there are enough good tracks and quality production to make it a decent album.