C-Bo and Yukmouth- The Thug Lords

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
After months of anticipation, Rap-A-Lot/Smoke A Lot and WCM have teamed up to bring two of Northern California's dons together to record a group album. Due to conflicts with distribution and money the album has been temporarily pulled from shelves, so I have no production credits or feature names but will due my best regardless.

The CD starts out with a heated Thuglord beat, piano noises blairing and drum kicks constantly reinforcing C-Bo and Yuks Flow. "Go Hard in the Paint" is definitely one of the hottest tracks on the album, and Killa Tay drops in to add some more heated gangsta shit to the album.

After a great intro track, the album continues to bang most of the way through. In "Mafia" Tay drops in again with the Thuglords on a more laidback beat with mafia documentary and movie snippets to add a Godfather feeling to the track. Yukmouth's solo track "The American Dream," samples a DMX track from Its Dark and Hell is Hot and showcases his superior flows and concepts. Themed around drug dealing and hustlin the American way the song begins: "I could bake these chickens or pot roast ya, Yuk the block roller, glock cocked in the holster, lock Costa Nostra, soldier cop cola, pop bakin soda, hit the spot and post up..."

Despite heated flows and beats through the majority of the album the Thuglords collabo shows a few flaws. First, the 50 cent diss track (previously leaked via internet) was not nearly as hot as the first Thuglordz diss on the Yuk album. If Yuk and Bo want to topple 50, they should have stepped their game up on their diss and ahniliated him the way they did previously. Moreover, the features from 50 Cent's old crew are mediocre at best. Secondly, there are two tracks on the album that sound incredibly familiar. Yu and Bo talk about Flip Floping bitches and mass orgies in two songs, a bit repetitive and I don't feel like either one meshed with the album. Lastly, Yukmouth has made the official step or surpassing Bo as he lyrically leads the way throughout every track on the whole album.

The album comes to a close with "21 Gun Salute" a concept of back and forth rappin between the Thuglordz on another tight piano beat. The two trade off on the chorus as well, naming situations and people and places that constitute a 21 gun salute. Both artists kill it, and it is a great end to a well done album.

When you hear Yuk and Bo, you expect to hear heat. This album is no exception. The two rappers prove that they are two of NorCal's finest and can compete with any trendy east coast contemporary. Despite the criticism I gave a few tracks on this album, it is not dissapointing and may be one of the best releases of the year. The benifit of the tight tracks far outweighs the mediocrity of songs like "Flip Flop." Expect the Thuglordz to make some major noise as their album will be distributed nationwide and at discount prices at places like Best Buy.

Overall-9/10

Dec 21, 2002
It seems like the only spot to cop that cd nowadays is on Ebay. I copped a few copies from the local Best Buy cause they had a GRIIIIIIIIIIP when it first dropped but that shit is extinct now.....The cd is tight tho.......1