@Gate Won - Sealed 4 the Nightfall Mix CD 1 Review

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Stealth

May 8, 2002
Intro – Not much too it…not sure what it is. Some guy runnin around?

02 – Sealed – Lots of talking to start out with. Rap doesn’t start for a minute and a half. Once the flow starts its good…good beats and production. Its obvious Gate Won has some talent…but the lyrics need a little more emotion to them for me to really get into them. I like the beat, I like the lyrics, but there’s a little bit missing from it to make me really get into it. Its just one short verse.

03 – Yac Freestyle (Cognac) – Freestyle (Many Men beat) – If this is a true freestyle its pretty damn good. This dude sounds like a thug, he has a good, polished flow, especially for a freestyle. This isn’t the kind of track I’d bump on a regular basis, but if it’s a freestyle then it definitely deserves some respect. Then he goes into a little transition and “Ghost” beat comes on. The flow on the Ghost beat is a lot faster…definitely the type of shit I can get into. It sounds a little bit too polished to be a true to life freestyle…but I’m always skeptical about a rapper putting a “freestyle” on an album.

04 – Xcercise freestyle (Gate Won & Tilt) – This freestyle isn’t as good as the one by Cognac – it lacks a little bit of the emotion that I was complaining about on the “Sealed” track. I can’t really get into the rhyme scheme on this one. Tilt brings a little bit more emotion on it…it sounds good.

05 – Pressure (Gate Won & Kaz) – This seems like it has good production, I like the chorus and the whispering. The lyrics on here are good as hell…it kind of a has a little bit of a Game Insane style to it. I think the beat is too quiet…not enough slaps/bass/clap. The guy on the 2nd verse (I’m thinking Kaz) I have the same complaints as before – the lyrics and flow are good as hell, but its too quiet, not emotional enough. I need something I can bump my head to or at least really feel, ya dig?

06 – Return to Jewel City (Ceeza Caprice & Moc – C) – I’m really digging the beat…it could be louder but that’s a personal preference. I don’t think the guy on the first verse is as much of a lyricist as the previous artists I’ve heard, but his flows are really good…he goes along to the beat really damn well. I think the chorus is catchy as fuck, but it could have a little more passion to it (I think my big complaint about all of this is that it needs to bang a little bit more and the lyrics need to shine over the beats). Moc-C comes hard as fuck on the track…I’m LOVIN his verse. I’d definitely bump this song.

07 – Free Lunch (Street Version) Jersey Luchiano – LOVIN the beat. Good production on it. Good sound. Luchiano definitely works the track real damn well. Good flow, goes with the beat well.

08 – Theevs Theme (Gate Won & Stan da Man) – Theif’s Theme verse. Gate Won (if that’s the first one spittin) finally comes with the emotion I was complainin about. The first verse really jumps into your head and makes you listen…takes command of the track…this is the kind of confidence I wanna see in a lyricist. The 2nd guy on there is just kind of average…he has a good flow…his lyrics aren’t too complex, and he doesn’t jump on the track and make you listen to him…he kind of blends in with the beat a little too well.

09 – Not From Concentrate (Gate Won, Rengde, JWil & Devn) – I’m likin this so far…the beat is good, I don’t really like that sound in the background but that’s my preference. It comes out soundin kinda like a Daz and Kurupt track. But it definitely has that West Coast feel and the artists are all nasty as fuck. I really like the first verse. 2nd dude sound a lot like Yukmouth. Raps fast as fuck and rips it up. The chorus could use a little bit of work but all in all this is a legitimately good song. My favorite so far.

10 – Live My Life (Gate Won) – “I’m So Fly” beat. Comes out singin a ripoff of the I’m So Fly chorus. My biggest beef about this is that I’m not a big Lloyd Banks fan, but if you’re gonna rip off the chorus, you at least have to make it sound better than the person you ripped it off. The flow is good, I like the verse, Gate has a command of the mic, he definitely has his own style that is original and consistent. I just don’t like the chorus that much.

11 – Take Me With You (J.E.V.O.N.) – Likin the beat. J.E.V.O.N. has a good flow…this is the thoughtful, introspective kinda track that has a personal meaning to it and not as much as the thuggin shit. That’s my personal preference when listening to music…I wanna hear about someone’s struggle and what they go through. When I listen to this I can really feel the song. I like the chorus…its some kind of sample thrown onto the beat but it fits really well. This is one of the gems on the album.

12 – Still Live (Gate Won, Gaitta Boots, * Thicq) – I’m not really feelin the beat and the lyrics are a little too soft. I can’t really get into it though. Same complaint about emotion. Its still a tight track though. I like the 2nd dude’s flows a lot…rips it fast and stays on beat, nice style.

13 – Who’s the Killa (Moc – C) – Some kind of beat off of Dre 2001 I think? I like the intro. The verse is quiet and not really emotional at first, like I’ve been complaining, except that the Dre beat is so laid back that the two actually blend together well. Instead of it being a complaint, it actually suits the song this time around.

14 – Keep My Rank Up (Snippet – Gate Won) – Gate rips this up…lots of passion, comes right at you, makes you listen, good original flow. I’m feelin this. I really like Gate Won’s style a lot…like I said it reminds me a lot of Game Insane…but with the right beats and the right production and mastering, I’d go out and cop his shit if all the verses sounded like this one.

15 – My Click (Mississippi, Sizzle, & Gate Won) – Good spits by everyone, not really feelin the beat though.

16 – Keep My Weapon Clean (Gate Won) – Dre 2001 beat (Watcher?) – Now this is one I’m gonna be real critical about cuz I wrote my own song to this beat too haha. But Gate Won definitely met the expectations I had for a song to this beat…his comes out hard and clean and crisp and his rhyme is good. Good job on this one.

17 – Birthday Bang freestyle (Young Moe) – Another Dre beat I think. Sound production on this track a little weird…it sounds like X-Raided speaking through a telephone at times…but I like this guys flow. Good track for a freestyle. Shows off his skills.

18 – Cabbage Cheese (Xianex and Gate Won) – Street Dreams beat. I haven’t heard any of Xianex’s shit since like 1999 or 2000. Excited to hear him. He definitely met my expectations…the cat spits straight fire. Fuckin amazing flow…I’d go out and buy this track any day. He has a real staccato style…stays on beat and rides the track real well. The chorus still doesn’t have a lot of professionalism to it…but I’m feelin it on this track anyways. His style mixes real well with Gate Won. Gate really put some effort into this one. Both of these cats have two original styles, unlike most of the bullshit you hear on TV today.

19 – NLV (Gate Won, Moc-C, & J.E.V.O.N.) – Forget where the beat is from…I like it though. Its loud enough and it slaps. The hometown banger. Every album needs a song to represent home. I don’t think the track is perfect, but I’ve never been to Sin City so I’ll take it for what it is and give support to anyone reppin where they’re from. I like how there’s no chorus after the first verse, just quit and lets the beat go. I wish I was stoned for this. LOVIN the 2nd verse. Great ass flow, good production. I’d bump this verse over and over again. I like J.E.V.O.N. too.

20 – Box U Out (Moc-C, Gate Won, J.E.V.O.N.) – Moc-C comes out and straight rips the track. Gate Won comes on and represents. This is a good track…nothing I can complain about. Its not my favorite song on the album, but there ain’t nothing wrong with it.

21 – 4 the Nightfall (Gate Won, J-Will, & Tillt) – Comes on sayin “everytime of the day is night” edited over and over. Gate Won steps on…its good…a little dark and slow…I know a lot of people on the Siccness like that kind of style…but I’m not exactly feelin it. Same complaint about a lack of emotion, but I’ve said that enough and that’s just my personal preference anyways.

I think the big thing about this album is that it has honest-to-God talented lyricists on it…you don’t even hear lyricisits on MTV anymore so it was refreshing to listen to someone that actually worked on their flow and style and came original and offered a different perspective on rapping and shit. My biggest complaint was a lack of real emotion in the begging of the CD and I thought the instrumentals didn’t really match the voices well, but after I got about halfway through the CD I was really feelin it for a lot of other reasons. You start to care less about the emotion behind the shit and start to pay attention to all the shit that they do good. I’m real critical about music, but there’s enough originality on here to make the CD grow on me. I like Gate Won’s flow and style. I really like Moc-C…he’s a complete lyricist overall and I’d buy a solo album of his. J.E.V.O.N. sounds a lot like someone to me…maybe a little bit of Kurupt…but he comes original and I like listenin to his shit. Xianex rips it up as always.

My Top 4 Songs:

9- Not From Concentrate
11- Take Me With You
18 – Cabbage Cheese
19 – NLV

Hoped this helped...lemme know how I can get my hands on the album...there's a few tracks I'd bump.

:siccness:Stealth:siccness:

noWetaG

Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2002
GateWonProduct.com
i was expecting much worse......appreciate the thorough review....
anything labeled a freestyle is a bonafied off-the-nugget song....
none of that RAP CITY "freestyle" in the booth...
or what alot of people do on mixtapes, in battles, ect.....
before this weve put out 2 freestyle CDs (hence the mention in trac 2)
all in the same fashion; while we work on getting studio albums out......

Stealth

May 8, 2002
^ Yeah man..I wasnt tryin to discredit the freestyles...I'm just as skeptical as the next guy. But if I am that skeptical, that's how you know its a good freestyle. If it sucked ass I'd be more inclined to believe you.

But yeah...when I critique somethin I try to look at how well the artist uses his abilities and the shit around them, how well that match to a beat, how a song makes me feel, lyricism, shit like that. I had a few complaints about the beat and I had a few complaints about the emotion of the songs, but all in all for you to come out with your own mixtape, you did a damn fine job. There's room for improvement though.

Keep it up.

And let me know if you need a white boy from Pittsburgh to spit on your next track :siccness: haha