your favorite/best keyboard/workstation for the money

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 21, 2002
Oklahoma
www.youtube.com
I apologize if this has been posted before (my searches never pull up what I'm looking for).

I want to know what y'alls favorite keyboards/workstations are for the money. I'm planning to spend around $1100-1300 at the most.

I've been looking at the Yamaha XS6 and getting it used. I've never used the Korg Triton but a lot of people swear by it for hip hop production. What do y'all use or think?

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
There is no need for you to get a Korg Triton. The sound quality was good for its time, and is still ok, but it can't compete with the current generation of workstations. I'd also look into a Korg M3 (used price is within your budget) and a Fantom X (used price within your budget) or Fantom G if a used one is within your budget (I have no idea how much these are going for used.)

What you can also do is just get yourself a really good midi controller, new computer, and run vsti's. With 1300 you'd probably even have enough money for a pair of monitors.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I just don't see the point of keyboard workstations anymore unless you are a live persormer doing shows and stuff. If I was to get one I'd probably get a fantom or a miko. You can do so much more with a computer based setup nowadays.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
I just don't see the point of keyboard workstations anymore unless you are a live persormer doing shows and stuff. If I was to get one I'd probably get a fantom or a miko. You can do so much more with a computer based setup nowadays.
The point of workstations (not just the live performance aspect) is that they work as designed and straight out of the box. You don't really have to worry about configuring this, updating this driver, what OS your using, etc. A lot of people simply want to make music and aren't too thrilled on having to jump through hoops in order to do it so the workstation offers that entry with no barriers.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I hear that, installing software authenticating and registering stuff takes forever

Jul 21, 2002
Oklahoma
www.youtube.com
I'm old school that way, and the durability ratings for damn near any midi controller on the market is ass. Plus I also hate the feeling the of keys on virtually all of them. I've had a Yamaha keyboard that has gone to both coasts and back with me over the last 14 years and it was a few years old when I got it, works like a champ. I would've had to replace 2-3 midi controllers in that time more than likely.

I'm looking at getting the yamaha motif xs6 or 7 and getting the korg triton rack which is only 300 bucks or so unless someone has a better suggestion. I've made the decision to major in music so performing live will be important too

drewski.kalonji

Shark Finning & Grinning
May 17, 2002
Murky Bay Waters, CA
While I disagree about midi keyboard contollers durability (excluding cheap entry level stuff like M-Audio, etc)

and the fact that MANY controllers today have weighted keys, semi-weighted, different "feels" to em....

I think the motif and triton rack is a great choice brotha.

Jul 21, 2002
Oklahoma
www.youtube.com
I'm still not firm on that but I haven't found any midi controllers I really like, I'll say that much. I can't remember the brand I liked but it had weighted keys but it was like $500+ I'm thinkin, why not drop another 600 for something that probably will last a lot longer and has way more functionality? Maybe i'm wrong.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
I own a Motif ES6 and other hardware (fantom x6, mp7, mpc4000, proteus 2000 and couple of more drum machines.) I don't run a lot of soft synths and vsti's because my computer isn't powerful enough to run them so I get my sounds from my hard ware (and dump sounds in when I need to.) I've played with the M3 before and owned a Karma (which is similar in terms of some functions), so if you're playing funk, r&b, etc, you should be good with this board because it has the KARMA function.

Jul 21, 2002
Oklahoma
www.youtube.com
no, I haven't had much if any experience with any roland stuff. The fantom g's seem cool but they're so damn expensive I haven't even messed with em. I'll check those out. Those XS racks are still a little steep. Seems like the motif will be more durable. I always hear about the keys failing over time on the Korg stuff

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
I have owned both a fandom x and a motif es. I think the motif es kicked the fandom x's ass...

Since then I have moved to straight computer production, no work station can hang with the mass amount of sounds vst's can offer. Fantom x you can add expansion cards, but the motif es u can add a virtual analog extension, great for synth leads and bass shit!

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
I have owned both a fandom x and a motif es. I think the motif es kicked the fandom x's ass...

Since then I have moved to straight computer production, no work station can hang with the mass amount of sounds vst's can offer. Fantom x you can add expansion cards, but the motif es u can add a virtual analog extension, great for synth leads and bass shit!
Shit I felt the exact opposite. Didn't need to install ram to sample with the fantom, got a better "sampled" sound out of the fantom, easier user interface (I had years of experience on the xp-60 so that may have something to do with it) and it was easier to edit and save patches as well as songs. However, the arppeggios on the es blows the x out of the water and the remix feature comes in handy when you want to flip something you've played.

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
Shit I felt the exact opposite. Didn't need to install ram to sample with the fantom, got a better "sampled" sound out of the fantom, easier user interface (I had years of experience on the xp-60 so that may have something to do with it) and it was easier to edit and save patches as well as songs. However, the arppeggios on the es blows the x out of the water and the remix feature comes in handy when you want to flip something you've played.
I think because I started with yamaha gear, so the work flow came natural. I think what you start on, carries on. Just like MPC users tend to stick with pads for production.

I think its agreed you can make amazing stuff on any of the workstations.

i been thinking of getting a rm1x to have as a groove box, and sequencer. I miss hardware I'm old school like that

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
I think because I started with yamaha gear, so the work flow came natural. I think what you start on, carries on. Just like MPC users tend to stick with pads for production.

I think its agreed you can make amazing stuff on any of the workstations.

i been thinking of getting a rm1x to have as a groove box, and sequencer. I miss hardware I'm old school like that
I have experience with the rmx1. I wanted the rs7000 but never found one for a playa price. I still use hardware because I'm constantly working on some type of project and don't want to upgrade to a new computer. However, once I finish this last project (hopefully by the end of august) I'm shutting down and rebuilding everything.

And yeah, you can get good results on any of the workstations, no question about that, fam. But, if I were him, I wouldn't get the triton rack, lol. I think where things are now in terms of sound quality, ease of use, number of sounds, etc are years beyond the triton era. But still, I use my proteus 2000 and mp-7 (mo phat with sounds) so if it bangs it bangs.

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
I have experience with the rmx1. I wanted the rs7000 but never found one for a playa price. I still use hardware because I'm constantly working on some type of project and don't want to upgrade to a new computer. However, once I finish this last project (hopefully by the end of august) I'm shutting down and rebuilding everything.

And yeah, you can get good results on any of the workstations, no question about that, fam. But, if I were him, I wouldn't get the triton rack, lol. I think where things are now in terms of sound quality, ease of use, number of sounds, etc are years beyond the triton era. But still, I use my proteus 2000 and mp-7 (mo phat with sounds) so if it bangs it bangs.
I had a RS7000 that shit was G as fuck, mad I sold it - that beast was like my secret weapon lol. That's why I was thinking of getting the rm1x. I think my live sets where way better when I was using hardware then when I switched to laptop, there midi issues, or you bump a chord wrong, and all knobs and keys go dead.

Hardware i could kick it, and it would still keep playing.

I agree triton rack would be the worst choice. Korg M3 rack version is dope because it has a sequencer inside, you just plug it into a midi controller. Fantom X and Motif will all give desired results.

Through the years and waisting money later its the user not the equipment that make the best music.

Props: Coach E. No