What are you planning on adding to your studio?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

tipsy

Sicc OG
May 2, 2002
www.straightvodkaent.com
i just started fuckin' with the free version of reaper & i like it alot. planning on getting a digital preamp,lookin' at the art dsp II(if anyone knows of a better one around the same price range let me know), & adding the efx card to my akai z4 & the virdis for my roland vs-1880(yes i'm old as fuck & still using a hardware daw but it works for me lol).right now i got:

-roland vs 1880 w both efx cards
-akai mpc 2000xl with sd card reader
-akai z4 sampler with 60 gb hd & 256mb ram
-rode nt1a mic
-art tube preamp(don't remember model it's like a $50 tube pre
-ensoniq eps sampler(only used for a midi controller but i got it for free)

tryin' to integrate the roland with software tho for easier editing & all the plug in options that software has to offer.

VHK

Oct 2, 2007
As far as VSTs I think I'm good... I'm probably gonna cop Reaper or Nuendo later on down the line. But I really want this.

I'm gonna get rid of my axiom for this beauty.
I just copped one of those off craigslist. Now I just gotta figure out how to set up the automap to work with Reason3 and Sonar 8.

Apr 21, 2006
You have to set it up? Is there a program to install? I thought the automapping function worked as soon as you connected the controller and opened up whatever sequencer program / editing program that you're working with.

Apr 21, 2006
i just started fuckin' with the free version of reaper & i like it alot. planning on getting a digital preamp,lookin' at the art dsp II(if anyone knows of a better one around the same price range let me know), & adding the efx card to my akai z4 & the virdis for my roland vs-1880(yes i'm old as fuck & still using a hardware daw but it works for me lol).right now i got:

-roland vs 1880 w both efx cards
-akai mpc 2000xl with sd card reader
-akai z4 sampler with 60 gb hd & 256mb ram
-rode nt1a mic
-art tube preamp(don't remember model it's like a $50 tube pre
-ensoniq eps sampler(only used for a midi controller but i got it for free)

tryin' to integrate the roland with software tho for easier editing & all the plug in options that software has to offer.
Nice setup.. I cant hate on the DAW that youre using. EPS? Old school lol. As far as preamps.. I havent seen a better one in that price range (Craigslist)?.. around 200 or somethin? MPA looks pretty clean in my opinion although it aint in the same range but also not 5- 600 either. lol.. What software are you lookin at for the roland?

Oct 20, 2008
Im workin on getting the ART MPA Gold and then swap the tubes in it. They got em on amazon for around $250. Every time ive heard about these though they said swap the tubes to get a warmer, better quality sound. This will be copped very soon.

tipsy

Sicc OG
May 2, 2002
www.straightvodkaent.com
Nice setup.. I cant hate on the DAW that youre using. EPS? Old school lol. As far as preamps.. I havent seen a better one in that price range (Craigslist)?.. around 200 or somethin? MPA looks pretty clean in my opinion although it aint in the same range but also not 5- 600 either. lol.. What software are you lookin at for the roland?
yeah, the eps is a dinasaur but like i said i got it for nada. takes up alot of fuckin' space though lol. i've had the roland hooked up to reaper thru midi & liked it, but they have this hardware/software called virdis that lets you hook the vs machines up thru the scsi & into your pc & from there you can open it up as a wave & import it to reaper/cubase/etc.

@ meltamic

do you know if that pre you're talking bout is better than the dsp? & how easy is to swap tubes cause i know nothing about that shit.

Oct 20, 2008
@ tipsy

swapping tubes ain't to bad, you just crack the case open and yank em out then throw the new ones in. Good tubes arent cheap though. As for the dsp I have never used it or heard of it. W/ preamps though you get what you pay for...

VHK

Oct 2, 2007
You have to set it up? Is there a program to install? I thought the automapping function worked as soon as you connected the controller and opened up whatever sequencer program / editing program that you're working with.
That's what I thought too. I could be doing something wrong though. The problem I'm having is getting the knobs and faders to control exactly what I want them to control cuz it's seems to control random shit (like on the malstrom synth). But then again I haven't really figured out how to use Reason & Sonar. I'm used to the MV 8000 and the Fantom-S.

Apr 26, 2006
That's a nice keyboard. Only 37 keys though. The pads are a bit small however.

There's also the AKAI MPK49 & Korg Kontrol49. Of course the Axiom, which you said you already have. I have the Axiom49. I think it's a nice keyboard, but just a bit bulky and I don't like how the knobs click when you turn them.

SO why you want to get rid of the Axiom? Because of the automap or what?

Oct 20, 2008
picked up the art mpa gold and like so far, next is a new interface. Looking at the tascam us-1641. leaving some room to grow with that one. this shit is like a never ending road, one peice after another....

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I came up on some cash so I'll probably end up getting a new Imac or a used MPC 2500 or MV8800 in the very near future.. i'm ready to step my shit up

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
i'm definatly checking out the used market, with the loot i have stashed i can get a brand new PC thats loaded up, a used project mix and a used mpc 2500 or 1000 thats fully loaded. that should keep me busy for a minute

Oct 20, 2008
i'm definatly checking out the used market, with the loot i have stashed i can get a brand new PC thats loaded up, a used project mix and a used mpc 2500 or 1000 thats fully loaded. that should keep me busy for a minute
what kinda pc are lookin at? You can get a nice music pc for around 650 brand new depending on what your doing what doing with it. Thats without the monitor though.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I was thinking about a new iMac until i saw i can get a PC 3 times better for less than half the price, I'm just a little worried about compatability issues with windows vista. I saw some pretty sweet dells like the inspiron and the xps but they don't have any firewire connectivity with i need because i was looking on getting a project mix. I seen some comparable HPs with firewire but the dells had better components in them. I'll probably have to hit up best buy or frys electronics and see whats up