What is a PRODUCER?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaze

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
Mr. D-Sane said:
Is a producer somebody that makes beats? Is a producer somebody that writes songs? Is a producer somebody that comes up with song ideas.....and possibly makes beats and writes as well?

What is YOUR definition?

Who knows the REAL definition?
LOL people gettin on your nerves?

Apr 25, 2002
the first thing that comes to my head is someone that make beats dawg..... they can rap, but i think of beat right away....

and D-Sane hit em up on that email i sent ya... if you didnt get it let me know....

m p o

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
a producer??

has to do with ether...
the MONEY behind the project
the STEERING WHEEL behind the project
the BEATS behind the project
or the MOUTH behind the project

eMDe

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
I think that a producer (in the "major" term) is someone who sits behind the engineer and helps the artists accomplish the best product of their music possible. Take someone elses talent and direct them to get the most out of it.... nowadays it seems like any muhfucka with fruityloops says he's a producer. To me it takes years of experience and knowledge... at least thats how i see it.

eMDe

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
actually the inside cover will read

Beat = Mr. D-Sane
Produced by = eMDe

But damn i wish we could change the whole word BEAT to something else.... i mean im not one to change tradition.... but i belive our "beats" have evolved quite a bit since Run DMC.... well at least some of us:classic:

m p o

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
damn d-sane..

got them panties up there good don't ya..

i've been recording music for years..

and i believe you asked:

What is YOUR opinion

then you asked for a real answer

and producer has many definitions...

each of wich i stated... are very plausable

i kid you not...

Apr 25, 2002
I'm going to keep it short & simple so I won't get on one. Since this is probably -the- biggest misconception, I'll just say that no, making beats doesn't automatically make you or mean you are a producer.

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
Re: damn d-sane..

m p o said:
got them panties up there good don't ya..

i've been recording music for years..

and i believe you asked:

What is YOUR opinion

then you asked for a real answer

and producer has many definitions...

each of wich i stated... are very plausable

i kid you not...
Yeah.....I'm somewhat irritated with this debate I'm having with a friend of mine. I wanted to delete this post because it's didn't layout what I was lookin' for very well......but it won't let me delete it.

I wasn't really lookin' for opinions......I'm lookin' for people who actually KNOW what the definition is.....not what they "think" it is. Because there is a very specific definition.

In any case.....I meant no offense to you.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
COMPOSED OR PRODUCED? BASICALLY WHAT EMDE SAID WAS ON POINT. I GUESS SICK DIDNT WANT TO BLOW ANYONES DOME SO HE REMAINED SILENT LOL!

IM STARTING TO REALIZE THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE THINK IT SOUNDS "COOL" TO SAY "YEAH IM A PRODUCER BLAH BLAH BLAH".

SILLY RABBITS.........

RAPHAEL SADIQ,QUINCY JONES,BABYFACE,WYCLEF.......THE LIST GOES ON AND ON. THESE GUYS PRODUCE MUSIC AND SOME OF THEM ACTUALLY COMPOSE AND PERFORM.

nowadays it seems like any muhfucka with fruityloops says he's a producer.
LOL! i agree.

soon im going to step away from EVERYTHING else and concentrate on ONE aspect of the game. i dont know if its going to be 100% rapping or engineering or *composing* or producing or running a label. its tiresome and very time consuming when you have knowledge and experience in all of those areas.......because.......you know how its supposed to be done and if you want it done right you must do it yourself.........

:H:

ps yes rappers do have the term mixed up........

DJ Mark 7

djmark7.com
Jul 18, 1977
www.djmark7.com
I've ALWAYS said this and cats tend to disagree with me...

To me, a producer is basically a composer...It ain't the same as a "beat maker" cause we all know there's alot of beat makers out there who don't deserve the title "producer"

A producer doesn't necessarily have to be the one playing the instruments...I mean anyone who thinks that DJ Quik plays all the shit on his albums is smoking bad crank...I was kickin it in LA with a cat named Courtney Branch who basically plays alla the guitar on Quik's shit...But see...Quik is a PRODUCER...He's like the conductor of a symphony...No way did Bach or any great composers play all of the instruments...They CREATED the songs tho and made them what they are...

Just my opinion...

DJ Mark 7

djmark7.com
Jul 18, 1977
www.djmark7.com
Kaze said:
A producer is a guy that makes beats! anyone that cant see that is an idiot!

Man I couldn't disagree more...any yahoo with a fuckin keyboard is "beat maker"...That's just like not all "rappers" are "emcees"...feel me? If not then oh well...It's all to the good! =)

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
actually the person who makes the underlying music is called a COMPOSER. learn the game.

go to www.homerecording.com or www.vsplanet.com and post that. you will get ran off the board. better yet go to artistpro.com and type that. if you cant do that please pick up various music books such as MIX,ELECTRONIC MUSICIAN OR EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT THE MUSIC BUSINESS.

so whats the difference between producers royalties and composers mechanicals? when does a producer get paid? how does he get paid? this is one of the main reason why the game is saturated with crap (especially in the bay area).

wycleff,quincy jones,raphael saddiq,babyface. these guys normally DONT play the instruments. labels or the ARTISTS HIRE these guys to come and in mold/shape a artist OR project. they get PRODUCERS ROYALTIES. this is NOT the same as COMPOSERS/WRITERS/ARTIST mechanicals.

contact www.ascap.com or www.bmi.com or call em up. i bet if you tell them that a producer is the beat maker they hang up in your face.

check yourself b4 u call people idiots. i bet most of you do a "poor mans copyright". incredible shrinking POCKETS............

:H:

EXPLAIN HOW A PRODUCER GETS PAID. PLEASE BREAK DOWN ASCAP OR BMI DISTRIBUTES HIS OR HERS ROYALTIES AND WHEN THEY DISTRIBUTE. EXPLAIN THE MECHANICAL RATE FOR 2002 AND PLEASE ELABORATE ON WHEN THE PRODUCER GETS PAID, WHO PAYS HIM AND IF ITS FROM THE NET OR GROSS.......NOW LETS SEE WHO IS AN IDIOT.......

Status
Not open for further replies.