What is a PRODUCER?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2002
Mr. Samos said:
Best responce,

A producer is someone with a vision that has the finance to capture it and put it in/behind music/video/etc the exact way he/she wanted it to be.
Executive producers finance projects, not producers. Music producers don't usually play a roll in the video aspect either. That's mostly the executive producer and director. The exception is usually when the producer is also the executive producer as well (like Dr. Dre).

We already broke all these terms & titles down in this thread so there shouldn't be any confusion about what any of these people do.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
I understand Sick Wit It,,,, Im talking movies and music, not just music. Executive producers & producers vary in involvement so there really isn't a set definition. There is no true awnser to the question, cause a producer could be anything that manufactures/produces something.

pz

Apr 25, 2002
There's nothing ego about giving cats correct and accurate information so cool that out homie. I'm sure you could learn a ton so read, soak and like you said, "save it" with the sensativity.

Apr 25, 2002
Mr. Samos said:
I understand Sick Wit It,,,, Im talking movies and music, not just music. Executive producers & producers vary in involvement so there really isn't a set definition. There is no true awnser to the question, cause a producer could be anything that manufactures/produces something.

pz
I understand why a lot of people get confused as to what people with these titles actually do. Basically it's because a lot of them do vary in their involvement. A good example would be that because a lot of producers participate in the mixing process, they think mixing is part of what a producer does when it actually isn't. An even better example would be because a lot of music producers play instruments, people think "producers" play instruments and/or are musicians which is also incorrect. When someone wears a lot of hats, it's easier to just group all that together and call it one thing. Especially when you don't know or understand the definition of all the hats that person wears.

When you start dealing with corporate money & serious contracts, believe me man, the definitions of these titles are very clear & specific.

Anyways, theres some good information in this thread. Probably worth reading again if you haven't already.

May 15, 2002
www.psurecords.com
I didnt have time to read the posts before me but a producer in my opinion does one job.

PRODUCES THE MUSIC. Drops some creative structural formats behind the ways he lays tracks down from the artists sitting smokin bomb listening to the beat all the way through the mastering process. Thats real... like i build a house a producer builds a song. (knows the industry suggests ideas knows the perfect take ect..)

Now, you can divert the logistics of your job as a producer and tack on a bill if you do extra curricular activities but your business wont go places your hopin beacuse services must be agreed by artists before attempt to juggle the game all in your hands. Any real business man takes his tallents and skills as he learns them and applies them directly to the areas he can successfully conquer. Producing music ive learned and continue striving to learn beacuse its a skill and tallent thats established not a title thats handed out like job applications.

Anyways thats how i feal.

Apr 25, 2002
Your skill & talent is what sets you apart from everyone else. If you have a lot of it, people will call you a great one. If you don't then it's probably gonna be something like 'he's a wack producer' instead. Either way, "producer" is a job title. It's up to your skill & talent to determine what kind of producer you are.

Mar 14, 2006
YEAH MAKIN A BEAT AINT PRODUCIN.......MOST OF THESE FAGS NOWADAYS
CANT AFFORD A PRODUCER........SHIT THEY CAN BARELY AFFORD TO BUY BEATS.......UNLESS YOU BRING IN YOURE OWN SOUNDS FRUITY LOOPS IS JUST THAT.........FRUITY.......TO ALL YOU BEATMAKERS... STOP SELLIN BEATS FOR 200 BUCKS.........REAL PRODUCERS IS TRYNA EAT IN THIS BITCH

Mar 1, 2006
what a producer is?

I think it's someone that has the ability to create. A person that can take an artists song and make it a bit better with his or her input. One that can bring out the best that an artist has is a real producer. Dre is an example. Most of his artists would not even be heard if it weren't for him. The list goes on and on. If all the real people on this page got into something together, no ego's , then we would have the ultimate producer. More is better than less.

Jan 14, 2004
This was definately a great thread, as a working producer!!! Thats right I used the "P" word!!!! I've dealt with this issue with clients that just didn't understand this biz at all!!!! Now I know that I'm not crazy!!!! Thanks to all of you!!!!

May 24, 2002
www.cinsityrecords.com
damn this is old

a producer is like the coach of a football, basketball team. He aint in the forefront, don't play any minutes on the field or court, but he is responsible for recognizing each players strengths & weaknesses and utilizing em to get that victory.

but, in rap, the beatmaker is called the producer many times. we have got beats from the original poster D Sane and the last poster before me DJ Numbawun...any track we got from them, they were credited as the producer regardless of whether they played "coach" on the track or not....simply because that's how its usually done at our level in the rap game.

Apr 25, 2002
SirPlayboy7 said:
they were credited as the producer regardless of whether they played "coach" on the track or not....simply because that's how its usually done at our level in the rap game.
No, that's not how it's usually done. You obviously have never had paperwork with a major label.

The definition of producer DOES NOT CHANGE depending on the type of music you're doing! This subject creates confusion for two main reasons... First, many producers also play instruments and compose music and are wearing several hats. Second, a lot of people (especially in rap) don't really understand what these jobs are and what the people doing them are actually responsible for.

The definition of a "producer" isn't up for negotiation or debate. The role is well-defined and people ignorant of that doesn't change anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.