What Computer for recording?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 23, 2006
So I'm bout to buy myself a new computer. All I really need it for is recording the best possible vocals that I can get (with my budget). I want a desktop, and I don't think I can afford a mac. I'm trying to drop around 600 or 700 dollars give or take some. So what do I need? what brand, what type of soundcard an all that. If someone could give me some links that would be dope. good lookin!

Jan 27, 2009
It looks like you're looking into investing in prestine vocals. AND to get just that is $$$$. A mac or a pc is not going to improve your mic signal. Getting a fast computer is the least of your worries now. FYI, Ram is probably the most important your going to want to look into, cause thats goin to make your DAW run smoother when running multiple plugins. Trust me, any motherboard in the past 2 years is perfect and most of them are duo core capable, which is enough to record anything.

What you want to invest money into is your Mic-Pre. Spendin 1k alone on a mic-pre is solid. BUT in my opinion the True P-Solo is under a rack (1k) and it does the job fine. Soundcards these days are rip offs, cause they add shit you dont need. Just look for one that suits your inputs, so you can plug in your mic, keyboards, mpc etc. As for a mic, a shure SM58 or an SM7b are all good for Rap.

BUT ALSO, your mic signal is just as good as the environment you record in. Good Luck. Hope this helps.

Feb 2, 2006
^you must be the typical pc user. everyone house i go to they pc run hella slow. people dont be knowing how to take care of they computer.

me on the other hand my pc run hella fast cuz i keep all my data on a seperate drive and whenever windows gets a virus i cant fix i just reformat. if i didnt know how to do that though it would be just as slow as the rest of them. my shit be running though. its much cheaper than buying a mac but if i was just a regular computer user id spend the money on a mac

Feb 2, 2006
that's a lot of work that you wouldn't have to do with a mac to keep your computer running smooth.
yeah but its much cheaper for the same amount of power. so it evens itself out. u can easily upgrade pcs not with macs

i even seen slow running macs so im pretty sure they got problems too

Mar 17, 2006
So I'm bout to buy myself a new computer. All I really need it for is recording the best possible vocals that I can get (with my budget). I want a desktop, and I don't think I can afford a mac. I'm trying to drop around 600 or 700 dollars give or take some. So what do I need? what brand, what type of soundcard an all that. If someone could give me some links that would be dope. good lookin!

You might consider a Mac Mini if you like Macs and you already have keyboard and monitor. They have them refurbished in the Mac Store for like $500 with full warranty

They seem a little lite on the power, but it's all relative. A Mac doesn't need enough power as a comparable PC because the OS is using a lot less resources than XP or Vista does.

STRATEGY