Studio monitoring Headphones?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 26, 2006
What you guys recommend?

I have some older Sony MDR-V600's. Paid about $100 when I bought them at the time.

So recently I've been thinking about stepping up to some better sounding cans and just using these for liesure activities like listening to music.

I'd get some Beyerdynamic's because they feel so comfortable with that grey velvet padding and I've heard good things about the sound, but man the good ones are expensive, all over $200. Are they worth it though when compared to my Sony's?

How about AKG?

I do a lot of shit late at night, so I use headphones.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
i love my sony mdr7506s
what he said, however I just broke my in ear headphones and been using those as my daily ipod commute thangs and it's hella pampering me. I gotta get some lil ones tho cuz they hella big and that long ass cord be gettin on my nerves

Aug 9, 2009
I would go for AKG Headphones if you are into engineering and mastering. what you want is Flat Frequency response headphones so you get accurate mixings that will pretty much convert your tracks sounding great in any speaker you play back in.
Professionals prefer mixing in flat frequency studio monitors (good ones for like 600 bucks), not headphones. but if its only headphones thats the way to go, then AKG headphones are known for the best flat frequency headphones.

But if you are a recording artist like a rapper or singer, instrument player, then i would prefer just good Studio Sony heapdhones.

So to summarize:
AKG = Engineering
Sony = Recording

Apr 26, 2006
I would go for AKG Headphones if you are into engineering and mastering. what you want is Flat Frequency response headphones so you get accurate mixings that will pretty much convert your tracks sounding great in any speaker you play back in.
Professionals prefer mixing in flat frequency studio monitors (good ones for like 600 bucks), not headphones. but if its only headphones thats the way to go, then AKG headphones are known for the best flat frequency headphones.

But if you are a recording artist like a rapper or singer, instrument player, then i would prefer just good Studio Sony heapdhones.

So to summarize:
AKG = Engineering
Sony = Recording
I think all these headphones mentioned serve purpose for monitoring and have flat frequency response. Of course some do it better than others.

I'm really digging those Audio Technica M50's right now. So many good reviews and the price is great. I think I might get them.

BTW, I just got some VST plugin called "Isone Pro" that simulates an actual room when mixing on headphones. The effect sounds so damn good that sometimes you forget you even have headphones on. It completely eliminates the extreme stereo separation you get from using headphones.

Apr 2, 2009
www.myspace.com
i got the beyers 770 pro but they sound like crap unless u get a decent headphone amplifier. (mbox doesnt count). 80 ohm = requires more signal to get them to purr... sonys are fine. i personally liked my sennheiser hd280s better plus the sonys break mad easy if you get down in the lab alot

Apr 26, 2006
I just bought the Sennheiser HD280 Pro's.

I think I'm going to return them though. I don't like the feeling of them clamping down on my head. It just feels like my head is being squeezed. Maybe they need to break in a little, but still I don't feel like waiting to see if it does.

I also wasn't too crazy about the feeling I get from the bass. I mean it sounds good, but since these cans are so tight, I feel like the pressure of the bass is pushing directly on my ear drums. I feel like it can cause some ear damage over time. My Sony's are much more comfortable in that regard, not that super bassy.

The cord also seems shorter than my Sony which I didn't care for either. It's like just pretty much all coil.

I mean I guess overall, they sound pretty good and flat, but I just don't feel too comfortable with them. I do think they'd make for perfect DJ headphones though, as it's hard to hear any outside noise.

I think I might go with an Open-Back or Semi-Open design this time, as their more suited for mixing. Something like AKG.

I think I'm going to buy the AKG K 240 MKII.

Apr 26, 2006
I just bought the AKG K240 MKII on the net for $129.99. Great fucking deal. These cans are fucking sick! Clean ass sound. These are waaaay more comfortable to wear than the HD280's. The Semi-Open design is also more suitble for mixing. :cool:

DjTre

Sicc OG
Aug 9, 2009
i personally like the akgs cuz they got a loose fit. I hate wearing tight headphones which eventually hurt your head and your ears cant breathe, lol. akgs are dope for studio use, they got a real nice crisp sound.

Mar 17, 2006
i love my sony mdr7506s
I never really figured out the difference between those and the MDR-V6's.

I've had my V6's for 23 years and they sound better now than the day I bought them. The pads have wore down to nothing though, gets kinda painful after a few hours, i need to replace the pads.

STRATEGY