recording problem... any ideaS?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 1, 2004
ok i got a cheap lil set up its nothin real top notch or nothin.. an mxl 990 mic and about a 70$ pre amp... im using adobe audition 3 to record but the mic isnt soundin right.. the volumes is hella low and its muffled soundin when u get loud n front of it..... i did google this shit and couldnt find anything that helped... let me know sumthin if u can yall

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
Are your levels peaking?
maybe you don't have the phantom power on
maybe your not using the side of the mic where the diaphragm is positioned

what kind of interface are you using, maybe adjusting the line level of your interface, What kind of computer specs?

as far as things not working on your computer I had compatibility problems running 32 bit programs on a 64 bit processor when I got a new Dell with the i7. Traded up for a mac and no problems. My problems came about right when higher end PCs were all coming out with 64 bit processing, id figure the major pro audio programs would have updated their drivers by now but maybe not. Your friends computer is probably running 32 bit if its old.

just brainstorming

Jul 1, 2004
i messed with the recording volumes and shit in the controll panel and everything.... whut did u mean by interface tho? im using adobe aud 3.0 to record my vocals... and when it shows u the wave form that your recording its alot smaller then it should be its maybe like a 1/4 inch. way small. and YES the phantom power is on... we turned the gain and the output all the way up and down n tried it several ways....
the computer im runnnin is a 64 bit i guess... and it wont work at all on this one.. and it WAS workin a month ago at my friends house but las time we plugged it in it was givin us these problems...
thank u for your help man i been tryna fix it any way i can cuz i got HELLA songs wrote and the beats made but i cant record and its pissin me off!!! lol

Oct 10, 2009
i messed with the recording volumes and shit in the controll panel and everything.... whut did u mean by interface tho? im using adobe aud 3.0 to record my vocals... and when it shows u the wave form that your recording its alot smaller then it should be its maybe like a 1/4 inch. way small. and YES the phantom power is on... we turned the gain and the output all the way up and down n tried it several ways....
the computer im runnnin is a 64 bit i guess... and it wont work at all on this one.. and it WAS workin a month ago at my friends house but las time we plugged it in it was givin us these problems...
thank u for your help man i been tryna fix it any way i can cuz i got HELLA songs wrote and the beats made but i cant record and its pissin me off!!! lol
Dude thats weird my folks had a interface & mic, which he ran to a labtop & his did the same thing, I tried to fuck with it because I know a little more than he does & I couldnt figure it out for nothing.... I literally started screaming into the mic & turned the vocal track up all the way but it sounded like shit... His was a single input interface from m-audio & the shit wouldnt work I thought maybe adobe dosent work with certain interfaces but I know a few people who use other shit like m-box, & other interfaces with adobe audition

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
sounds like hes recording without an audio interface using a preamp through a stock PC soundcard or something. Only conclusion why he would have these problems.