Question about usb mixers

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 10, 2009
I have been looking at some small mixers like an 8-10 channel for some synths,workstations,etc.. Well I got a m-audio fast track mk interface, (single channel for mic) & I was wondering if I get a usb mixer & say for example If I add a roland fantom, mpc, & other workstations in the 8-10 channels when I open protools will these channels show up in protools (since its a usb mixer), if not is there a way without having to get another interface?? I'm going to be running a midi controller (m-audio) & mpd also so theres no need for an mpc I was just using that as an example but I would like to get some hardware to in the lab..

Oct 10, 2009
naww Im saying like if i plug in the mic & then on the back the left right inputs say plug in the output from the mixer into the inputs in the m-box or fasttrack & just record as audio from the mixer into the fast or if i have to grab a m-box

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
naww Im saying like if i plug in the mic & then on the back the left right inputs say plug in the output from the mixer into the inputs in the m-box or fasttrack & just record as audio from the mixer into the fast or if i have to grab a m-box
I get what you're saying but you don't get what I'm saying, lol. Your fast track is the first interface. Your USB mixer is the second interface. Pro Tools MP (which I'm assuming you're using) will only see one interface at a time.

This guy is in a similar situation as yourself. Make sure you read the 4th post.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-...71534-pro-tools-m-powered-work-mixer-usb.html

Oct 10, 2009
ok good looking pimpen, So I can do it but I would have to say make the music track, then make the vocal track... I was wondering it because i wanted some hardware wired into protools, Also has any used any of the e-mu racks like:

Proteus 2000
Orbit V2 9090
Mo Phatt
Extreme Lead 1

Are these four racks any good because on ebay I could get them all for around maybe 300, I mean I could use a midi controller to control the sounds from the four racks, & throw them into protools

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
Get a better interface. I have a firebox that I'm willing to sell actually because I'm getting an RME fireface soon. With the firebox, I'm able to record my mic, pc3x, guitar, and several vsti through the technique of routing the subouts to the remaining inputs. That's simultaneous recording of 5 sources. I can mute the mic if i'm not using it through the software included, and I can control the gain of all the inputs separately.

The reason why I'm not getting a mixer is because adding a low quality mixer would just degrade the final signal going into your interface, because each addition to the signal path messes up the signal, some do it in a good way IE high end mixers or nice preamps, some mess up the signal in a bad way IE behringer usb mixer.

What you want to do will only be achieved through the acquisition of a better interface. Otherwise, you'll need a mixer that has solo buttons.

As far as adding external sound sources, the ones that you mentioned are available through emu samplers. You can get an EMU ESI for cheap and get a scsi cd rom and sample cds that contain the sounds from those romplers. The cd roms were made by emu and they sound incredibly good. . I have all the sample cds so I can make you copies if you want.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Get a better interface. I have a firebox that I'm willing to sell actually because I'm getting an RME fireface soon. With the firebox, I'm able to record my mic, pc3x, guitar, and several vsti through the technique of routing the subouts to the remaining inputs. That's simultaneous recording of 5 sources. I can mute the mic if i'm not using it through the software included, and I can control the gain of all the inputs separately.

The reason why I'm not getting a mixer is because adding a low quality mixer would just degrade the final signal going into your interface, because each addition to the signal path messes up the signal, some do it in a good way IE high end mixers or nice preamps, some mess up the signal in a bad way IE behringer usb mixer.

What you want to do will only be achieved through the acquisition of a better interface. Otherwise, you'll need a mixer that has solo buttons.

As far as adding external sound sources, the ones that you mentioned are available through emu samplers. You can get an EMU ESI for cheap and get a scsi cd rom and sample cds that contain the sounds from those romplers. The cd roms were made by emu and they sound incredibly good. . I have all the sample cds so I can make you copies if you want.
How much are you selling the firebox for? My boy is looking for a fast track pro for this project we're working on. All he needs is an input for recording his guitars, but if you're letting yours go for a player price I can let him know and connect the two of you.