Question about running Pro Tools 8?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 20, 2007
i'm about to buy this real soon along with a new computer but from what i hear, i need some serious power to run pro tools along with the plugins and other stuff as well. so my question is, when i get a computer (its gonna be pc), what kind of power would i need and how much gb and everything else because i heard duo core won't be enough, especially for trying to use plugins and stuff like that?

also, i plan to have the pro tools 8 in the computer along with 2 or 3 other programs and a lot of plugins and a lot of heavy duty stuff.

May 4, 2002
www.kavierocks.com
www.digidesign.com

They have everything there for you. I'm guessing you'll be running LE or M-Powered. They list the minimum as being 1GB of RAM, and since mostly everything nowadays is coming with 2GB or more, you should be able to run it on that. I'm running Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4 and Waves Mercury Bundle on a PC running Windows XP, 2GB of RAM, Intel Centrino Duo Processor (2GHz), on a laptop, and it runs pretty damn good.

Feb 2, 2006
pro tools 8 doesn't demand any more resources than 7.4. i actually think its a little faster.

as far as your comp if you trying to run HELLA plugins get you a QUAD CORE intel processor and at least 4 GB of ram (8 gb preffered). and i doubt you will have any problems at all - just whatever you do - dont get windows vista

i got a dual core with 2gb ram and i manage to run a lot of plugins and when it overloads i just bus everything to a fresh track, record it, then make the other tracks inactive and create some more ahahaha

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
It shouldn't even matter what DAW you are going to be running, you have to think about what kinds of plug-ins you are going to be using, how many instrument tracks your going to be using simultaneously or how many of those plug-ins you will be running at the same time, while sequencing, arranging, playing, recording, and using the DAW. And how many other programs that take up significant memory usage will be running? You should always get the most that you can afford and the highest of quality when it comes to the PC. If your on a major budget, you should search online for articles, videos, or information on the fastest budget computer or custom setup. But yeah, more is better, be on the safe side, basically, as Malki stated, Intel Quad Core, 8 GB RAM, 2 x 500 GB HD plus an External 500 GB Drive for use with Pro Tools. You'll be laughing!

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
The abundance of information on researching the best way to purchase a new computer in the ever advancing and changing market/industry is endless. How to purchase the computer parts needed to build your own and save money or even how to build it, step by step, there are video tutorials out there. So, put the time into the new computer, research before you buy, compare, find the best sources, and get it right.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Build-An-8GB-RAM--1TB-HD--Quad-Core-System-For-595

Here is a site I found in 2 seconds, I don't know if it's credible, but I can compare it to other sources and find out.

Apr 25, 2002
I plan on moving to PT8 once I wrap some projects. Btw, if you're planning on building a new DAW, I recommend using sata harddrives with 32MB cache. I've switched over all my drives to those are they are DAMN fast.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
It shouldn't even matter what DAW you are going to be running, you have to think about what kinds of plug-ins you are going to be using, how many instrument tracks your going to be using simultaneously or how many of those plug-ins you will be running at the same time, while sequencing, arranging, playing, recording, and using the DAW. And how many other programs that take up significant memory usage will be running? You should always get the most that you can afford and the highest of quality when it comes to the PC. If your on a major budget, you should search online for articles, videos, or information on the fastest budget computer or custom setup. But yeah, more is better, be on the safe side, basically, as Malki stated, Intel Quad Core, 8 GB RAM, 2 x 500 GB HD plus an External 500 GB Drive for use with Pro Tools. You'll be laughing!
It shouldn't matter what DAW you're running, but when it comes to Pro Tools and other Digidesign products it absolutely does. You can build a pc that has all the bells and whistles, but if the chipset is incompatible for example, or the firewire card isn't the right one (and the right one does not necessarily mean "approved") you are going to experience heart ache and trouble.

@ The OP, you need to hit this link:

http://duc.digidesign.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Click on the sticky thread 1, 2 and 8. Read, soak, join and ask questions.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
It shouldn't matter what DAW you're running, but when it comes to Pro Tools and other Digidesign products it absolutely does. You can build a pc that has all the bells and whistles, but if the chipset is incompatible for example, or the firewire card isn't the right one (and the right one does not necessarily mean "approved") you are going to experience heart ache and trouble.

@ The OP, you need to hit this link:

http://duc.digidesign.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Click on the sticky thread 1, 2 and 8. Read, soak, join and ask questions.
I wasn't aware of this, I know Pro Tools takes a toll on the system because I use it, sometimes it's a pain to deal with, but I've never had any problems running it and I for sure didn't know about the computer hardware issues. The only issue I ever had with Pro Tools is the trouble I had with a number of different plug-ins when I first switched from Cubase. Waiting for certain VST Plugins I was accustomed to using with ease, for them to be RTAS compatible, was a bitch. FXPansion does wonders for wrapping but not all VST's wrapped correctly and I had to cut out a lot of my libraries because of the issues, until the plug-in designers, released RTAS updates. So, Pro Tools I know is a troublemaker. So I am not surprised to hear about hardware issues.

But yeah, Pro Tools 8 looks like a giant leap from 7.4.

I wonder how many bugs.