pro tools 8

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

MALKI

Sicc OG
Feb 2, 2006
^i just installed it, its hella clean looking almost looks like ableton live now though lol. damn i still kinda got that adrenaline in me i just used it for the first time its hella tight. the new instruments it came with sound clean as fuck - especially that grand piano and that xpand 2. got all my plugins working too! damn i cant wait to make some new shit with this.

MALKI

Sicc OG
Feb 2, 2006
^i do but reason sucks for mixing i mix on pro tools. i have always used pro tools since i started doing music. i bought a little mbox 2 mini and some monitors and been practicing since last year i finally got my mixes sounding pretty good. just last week i stepped my vocal/beat mixing up like 10fold i seen a few new tricks for the vocals and beats its a wrap now.

i was really interested in the new "midi editor" they got it works pretty good - im not as fast with it as reason but its not bad it reminds me of cubase a lot now. im gonna make some beats on pro tools just wait - i made a few SLAPPERS off cubase

Apr 26, 2006
I see, but aside from mixing, I don't see what Pro Tools offers, that other hosts don't, interms of actually composing music. I mean is there anything extra that can help you be more creative or aide you? I mean, it does look like it got visually nicer, so maybe that can help the creative process, I don't know. Then again, Logic, Cubase, Abelton Live don't look all that bad either. They all seem comfortable to work in if you know the ins & outs of each. I mean interms of creativity and making the actual music, that's where FL Studio helps me and I have my own lil reasons why it does.

MALKI

Sicc OG
Feb 2, 2006
^if u dont record vocals or dont want to mix your songs/beats professionally there is no reason to get pro tools in my mind. its really mainly just for recording/mixing (not mastering or composing). i mean u can master or make a beat on it but thats kinda like trying to swang doughnuts in a scraper. you know? u can still do it it, its just a little harder.

I guess with the pro tools 8 the main thing is they trying to add all that midi stuff and turn it into more of an all around DAW. thats coo though it still does what its sposed to do and i like the new graphics. i gotta play with it for a few weeks and see if i'll be using it for making beats. reason is still easier to me though. sometimes i just get tired of using the same shit so i guess now this is my second option for beats - always gonna be my first option for mixing though

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
I'm still using 7.4

And yes composing, sequencing and especially arranging instrument tracks in the Pro Tools Multitrack window is much more time staking than in programs such as Cubase, where midi tracks are copied, dragged, duplicated, and arranged effortlessly. I wonder if Pro Tools 8 picks up on this though? Malki you mentioned the new MIDI Editing window, I read a little about this, does it make composing/arranging a little easier?

This was my main concern when getting into Pro Tools a year back, and it took awhile to get used to, but it's still slower, as far as on the fly arranging/editing goes.

As far as the big hype on Pro Tools, I just get better mixes out of the box with it, than I ever did with Cubase. However, using Cubase is just, so smooth, that's why I haven't let it go and probably never will. They both have their pro's and con's.

And I agree with Heresy, I'm going to have to build a new system before I start with these new DAW's.

MALKI

Sicc OG
Feb 2, 2006
^i just fucked with it on a beat today - its actually pretty good! the midi editor is useful and when u record a track into the edit window say from a VST it pops up in a little box so you can easlily chop it and copy it etc. it really feels like cubase now as far as the midi game.

i had reason open for my drums, nexus for my synth, and xpand 2 as well. i think im gonna start using pro tools to produce now i can use all these instruments inside 1 program its gonna b dope. those vsts have MUCH clearer sounds than reason which is my only problem with reason but i can still whip up a beat on reason in like 2.2 seconds which is why i might keep using it as a standalone. i dunno though i feel pretty powerful with all these tools in pro tools now i just might look for a thousand vsts and have a killer studio right here reason integrated and all

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Yeah, right now I can't make the jump because I'm working on projects for people. I don't want to compromise anything or go through any problems or self induced head aches that lead to thoughts of suicide....all because I installed PT 8. I don't know how it will run on either of these comps, so until these projects are finished, and until some of the bugs are worked out, I'll hold off.

Anyway, heres a link to the plugin compatability list.

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=115&itemid=4767&action=news_details

But for me, I don't use pt for actually making a beat. What I mean by this is I don't play any notes in pt, work with midi in pt or use vsti's in pt. I'll record, arrange, mix and edit in pt, but I don't use it like I used to use cubase back in the day.