MPC5000 vs MV8800

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 10, 2009
Ive read alot about the two, I was wondering from someone who has used them which is better for hip hop, rap, & r & b music they both seem about the same..... There both 1999.00, & Both are capable of idea to finished cd.. The only thing I like more about the mv8800 is you can plug a mouse & monitor to it & use it as a full track creator (beats,recording,to masterd cd Would I be better to just get an mpc1000 then spend the other g on synths, or another keyboard workstation for the lab. Whats yall opinions on this subject. If an mpc1000 can do about the same I would rather save the other g for other stuff for the studio whats yalls thoughts

Mar 19, 2009
If your choosing between the 8800 or the 5000, the 8800 is a better choice. The mpc 5000 is a poorly designed machine, especially compared to the 8800. But thinking out side the box, I would suggest to you any mpc that isnt a 5000, I have the 2500, its awesome, good workflow too. The 1000 is just as good and you can get more for your money being that it is a lil smaller and cheaper. Trust me, sounds is what you want to invest in the most. Hope I've helped somewhat.

Jun 9, 2005
www.kevwestbeats.com
I personally wouldnt buy either machine. Imo they are overkill. But between the two I would almost always choose a mpc. But in this day and age why even bother spending all of that dough on a mpc?

Oct 10, 2009
If your choosing between the 8800 or the 5000, the 8800 is a better choice. The mpc 5000 is a poorly designed machine, especially compared to the 8800. But thinking out side the box, I would suggest to you any mpc that isnt a 5000, I have the 2500, its awesome, good workflow too. The 1000 is just as good and you can get more for your money being that it is a lil smaller and cheaper. Trust me, sounds is what you want to invest in the most. Hope I've helped somewhat.
thats what i was thinkin the mv cause its capabilities,

I personally wouldnt buy either machine. Imo they are overkill. But between the two I would almost always choose a mpc. But in this day and age why even bother spending all of that dough on a mpc
because its expanding the studio n shit like fl studio, just is crap the sounds are shitty & there's not much else im going too need but soundproof & i can do that for next to nothin, but why do u say there an overkill? & why would u choose an mpc ?

Jun 9, 2005
www.kevwestbeats.com
thats what i was thinkin the mv cause its capabilities,

because its expanding the studio n shit like fl studio, just is crap the sounds are shitty & there's not much else im going too need but soundproof & i can do that for next to nothin, but why do u say there an overkill? & why would u choose an mpc ?
in this day and age i would take something like Fruity Loops over an mpc. The secret to Fruity Loops is you don't use the stock sounds in it. Its a vst host go out there and get some good sounds for it. I personally don't use Fruity Loops i use Reason but if I ever went hardware again (i got 3 keyboards in the closet and 3 racks as well) Id probably get an ASR10 and a motif rack. I feel the MV and the Mpc just have too much going on in each model. Gimme a streamlined machine that does one thing really well. I'd take a mpc 3000 over this 5000 anyday. The 3000 is old but I like the roger linn models. If I had to take a new one I wouldn't take anything more than a 2500. For me the mpc would be a sequencer and a sampler. I don't need the synth in it. Matter of fact gimme 30 seconds of sample time and i don't need much of anything else.

Apr 26, 2006
Get a solid midi controller and go the software route.

What some have mentioned, what you need is good quality sounds. FL Studio is a good sequencer for making beats, but definitely lacks in built-in quality sounds. Bottomline, you don't use the sounds that come with FL, you sample your own or look for 3rd party sounds.

But aside from FL, there's plenty of good plugins out there that emulate the workflow of a MPC style device.

Look:

Mar 22, 2004
why do you think you need either of these machines? They don't come with any good sounds. Neither have anything to do with a specific music genre. They're both just sampler/sequencers. You can make rock or country beats in them shits if you want to.

I've owned both, the mpc4000 is better than the mv8800, but sequencing in Pro Tools 8 kills both of them shits. Get your computer game on deck, get Pro Tools 8, You can load all of your drum sounds into Battery3, Pro Tools 8 comes with some ridiculous instruments already, and you'll be making slaps arranging songs and mixing all from one program.

I thought I'd never switch to software sequencing, but there aint no denying that shit anymore. It's so much easier to see your whole song and the instrument interfaces in color on a big ass LCD! The sound quality is on point now. Don't waste 2g's on a drum programing machine/sequencer.

If you really really really want hardware. Motif XS or Fantom G are some good all in one machines.

Oct 10, 2009
I already know how to do the software shit I just want to look into hardware also, & I was gonna grab a motif mo6 along with it if thats the case Ill just grab the Fantom good lookin vince, The reason Iwas lookin into the mv8800 because its an allaround studio with a pc screen,mouse, & Mic & Monitor inputs I was just wanting to grab that for save if im traveling to if an idea hits me I can take it with me, if i have software on a computer (not labtop) its kind of a hassle to load the car with a full pc, vs 1 machine & headphones

Mar 19, 2009
The moral of the story is that you can make heat with anything as long as you have it in you. It all comes down to what equipment has a better workflow for you, or is more benificial to your situation. Hope you make the right decision and good luck to you my dude.

Oct 19, 2009
why do you think you need either of these machines? They don't come with any good sounds. Neither have anything to do with a specific music genre. They're both just sampler/sequencers. You can make rock or country beats in them shits if you want to.

I've owned both, the mpc4000 is better than the mv8800, but sequencing in Pro Tools 8 kills both of them shits. Get your computer game on deck, get Pro Tools 8, You can load all of your drum sounds into Battery3, Pro Tools 8 comes with some ridiculous instruments already, and you'll be making slaps arranging songs and mixing all from one program.

I thought I'd never switch to software sequencing, but there aint no denying that shit anymore. It's so much easier to see your whole song and the instrument interfaces in color on a big ass LCD! The sound quality is on point now. Don't waste 2g's on a drum programing machine/sequencer.

If you really really really want hardware. Motif XS or Fantom G are some good all in one machines.
I'm wit you on the fantom not sure about the motiv never tried it but the fantom is ill

Mar 11, 2004
used a motif in school and would leave school and go to guitar center and play wit thier fantom all day b4 the g series..i liked the fantom x6 (all they have in the visalia store) the fantom is good shit and u can do what u want as far as taking it on the road..its a whole workstation..only thang is if i ever went out and got a fantom it b the g8 and thats only because i like to have the most keys as possible wen i play..but honestly if its just the portable side why dont u spend the money on a small midi controler and a laptop.. sum vsts and ur good to go anywhere anyway

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
get a midi capable synth... and you will have the best of both worlds...

there will always be a debate on hardware vs software... really comes to preference. Personally I like some dedicated synths... but NOTHING beats editing sampling through software...

Oct 10, 2009
Cool good lookin on yalls perspective I was grabbing a motif 2 so Its also a midi controller so I'll just invest in some sounds... Good lookin I was wanting pads fo drum programmin so Ill just grab an mpd for drums, That saved me some doe, might grab a synth instead but either way It saved me a good stack-1500, Vst's, sounds, n mpd/ w motif will shit on those both basicly cuz Ive made bangers back in the day of fl studio on my old pc, but i playd it out, even with dre , kanye, etc. kits, I just want the hardware fill & a mpd will be the same probly better workflow than a 2000 mpc good lookin folks

Anyone know some good Vst's, & places to get good, Rap,R & B, Rock sounds (Vst for protools 8)

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002

I know a Dj that use's that midi controller with Abelton live, its fucken dope... $169's a good price, I thought it was more expensive

Oct 10, 2009
cool yeah Ima swoop that for samples & drum sounds cuz I like the hardware fill plus if i say get a snare or drum off I can go into protools & put it in its place thats love

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
If i was to go that route i'd probably go with the MV8800, the workflow seems to be more close to how i'm used to working.

i've been saying it forever though, i wish someone would make a serious pad controller built with the quality of a real mpc or the MV to run DAWs or reason through. They were half way there with NI Machine but the software sucks and the midi capabilities suck ass

Mar 22, 2004
why not the mpd32?
it has note repeat, 16 levels. I'll probably dump my 4000 and grab one since i have all of my drums in Battery3 now, but I did hear the pads suck on these compared to the 4000