Motif 6 vs Motif ES6

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
What's the main difference? I have a MO8 and it had the ES voice engine... But I'm at a point I'd rather sample on the board rather then choppen samples on the computer

How much improved are the voices on the ES?

What about fantom x6 ?

Jun 9, 2005
www.kevwestbeats.com
the mo series is basically an ES minus the sampler and a few other features. if u r just looking for a sampler I wouldn't buy a brand new keyboard for that. Look into the akai S series samplers they are like mpcs but they dont have the sequencer or the pads they are racks. I own an S3000 and I dig it very much its very similar to a mpc 2000. Or if u prefer having a keyboard to work with ur motif look into maybe an asr 10 or a eps 16 those are dope keyboard samplers and you can use them together with ur motif as well.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
What's the main difference? I have a MO8and it had the ES voice engine... But I'm at a point I'd rather sample on the board rather then choppen samples on the computer

How much improved are the voices on the ES?

What about fantom x6 ?
Yes, they are both based on AWM2, but the two units don't sound exactly the same. I'm not saying the Motif ES sounds better, I'm just saying they don't sound the same. Other differences are no PLG expansions for the MO8, no sampling for the MO8, number of onboard patches and drum kits, synthesis and sound manipulation (number of filters and waveforms) etc.

I own an ES and a Fantom x, they are both excellent workstations and while they both do certaint hings the same way, they both have features that are exclusive to it. Personally, I find the X to be easier to use, but my first workstation was an xp-60 so I know how to get around roland products. The arpeggios in the ES are killing the ones in the X, and the Remix feature allows you to make crazy patterns and loops out of the stuff you've already recorded. In terms of sound quality, they both have their own sound, and I can't say this board sounds better, or that one sounds better, because they both have their own sound. In every category, there were some that sounded good on the X, not so good on the ES and vice versa. However, I do notice a difference in the sounds coming out, and the ES has a more compressed sound to it. On the X, some of the patches jump out at you and you have to really turn the volume or gain down, but the very next patch might be something you have to turn up.

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
^ Thanks for the advise

I just sold my MO8 on ebay... I think my decision will be whatever is used and cheapest

But because I've pretty much learned the MO8 inside-out... I know the ES will be a no brainier so I'm gravitating to that. But im sure the Roland is easy enough to learn.

i'll keep ya'll updated on what I get in the next week

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
well I ended up getting a Fantom X6 with a Ultimate Keys SRX Expansion Card... got a good ebay deal free shipping. I'm fucken excited - I will miss my MO8, but i'm sure ill learn to love this keyboard just the same...

HERESY: how easy is it to make new voices (patches) ? and how tweakable is the ARP in your opinon? thx for the info you gave

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Making patches is very easy because you have a patch edit button on the board. Press that button and everything needed to edit or make custom patches will be at your disposal. In regards to the arps, there are many arps on there, not as many as what is on the motif, but you can do whatever you want with them from limiting the key range, to changing the velocity, to having it play back according to whatever note or rhythm grid you choose. Getting to the arp screen is also easy, just hold down SHIFT and press the Arpeggio button and everything will pop up.

Also, hit the roland site and download the latest OS if you don't have it. Be sure to snatch the 5080 patches that are on there but dont install them unless you aren't feelin the user patches because these overight them (but you can always reset the board and get them back.)

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
The fantoms tight... a lot more gritty with synth bass and leads... I miss the Motif drums and some live sounds.... but overall you can get down on the fantom

all I need is a motif es rack and im set

Mar 22, 2004
^ My homie was sellin his ES rack and Proteus 2000 (a couple of roms installed) cause he copped a Niko. You want me to check and see if he still has the rack? If he still has it he'll let it go for a player price.
If you can get me the es rack for under 600 I'll buy it cash today!
i got rid of my xs, but now I'm regretting it but can't find a plug on one so I think I'm gonna save a buck and look for the ES rack