Maschine Is The Cat's Tits

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 17, 2006
Hey, I finally got a little one on one time with it, this thing is a beast.

Starts out simple and easy to use, but has a lot of depth in features too, I'm still scratching the surface I think. After an hour or so of making beats, I stumbled on how to fire up a keyboard controller into it and was adding live parts to my chopped beats and loops. I'm working on using it with the monitor turned off right now, that seems to be the way to go for workflow.

The library has great drum sounds and it's simple to bring in your own sampled drums on the fly. If you have your own rex files already, you can drop those in and adjust the slices (seems a lot of software only reads the slices but doesn't let you replace them). The instrument library is surprisingly good. Some a bit on the cheesy side, but I like cheese.

I think it has good DAW integration, but I'm really focusing on standalone right now. I did some basic use as a plugin in Live 7, it works.

MPC Killer? maybe. Never had an MPC and never used them enough to be able to accurately compare, but it kicks the snot out Guru, that's for sure. Guru might still have the edge in sound design though, as far as layering lots of drums on one pad.

The things I've heard about it seem to be true, user friendly and killer workflow and tricks you into thinking you're using hardware, which is a good thing. Making music on a computer sometimes feels like I'm at work and isn't fun.

STRATEGY

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I have one too it is the shit, i wish there were better non drum/one shot sounds though. Thats basically all i've been using latley, not too big on straight DAW integration with it but drag and drop audio export in 1.5 solves that. I heard it works well in Live though and the controller is supposed to run real clean with Live. They are constantly updating the software, they need time stretch and an arp in there. Its fun as hell though, my favorite piece

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
If my hardware sampler groove box ever dies... I will go this route

It would be nice to have gigs of samples, but in some way I like 64mb of sample space, forces me to only to put together my best kits, and really choosy on what and how I sample.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I finally started messing with the drag and drop audio feature a little bit. The audio sounds hella cleaner in logic before i even put any plug ins on the stems.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
^ I'm starting to use both now, I'll put together scenes and patterns in maschine, drag the audio into logic and spice it up with better synth & non drum and one shot sounds, effects etc. For whatever reason the raw audio sounds cleaner in logic. Still trying to get the hang on logics sequencer though, its a monster but starting with the raw audio makes things simpler for me for some reason. I think it is more fun and musical establishing your swing settings in maschine too, l love that swing knob!

next i gotta tackle the midi out feature and get my reason sounds kickin in my maschine patterns. I wish reason had a drag and drop audio feature, it is the shit.

The only thing i don't like about maschine is the non drum and one shot sounds are kinda cheezy and the more of a midi controller problem i have using my artura keyboard controller with it. My octave controls are quirky and if i don't use the correct sequence of button pushes will make it so i cant use the keyboard anymore without quitting the program hoping i didn't save whatever action that fucked it up. I shouldn't have bought the analog factory experience controller, shit is extremely well built and give me no problems in any other software. Threw some AFE sounds in my most recient maschine beat once i got the audio into logic, shit sounds pretty nice. I need to brush up on my AFE controller manual i think

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I think i'm gonna use it mainly for drums and sampling. Drag the midi into logic to use better synth keys etc.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
biggest thing for me at this point is learning how to manipulate samples and chops. I'll find something that sounds like its gonna loop right sometimes and it just won't. Take me awhile sometimes me to put stuff together and it usuallly ends up being something i wasn't expecting out of the sample(most the time not a bad thing). Getting better though I put together something yesterday that has 2 samples i chopped up sounds pretty nice.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I'd keep the motif so you can sample str8 in on use midi out. The instrument sounds are pretty tweakable though and you can layer up to create some pretty crazy sounds. For a remix style producer it would be pretty awesome, i need some accapellas to take a crack at that.

you would be straight live as long as you have a stable computer and all your samples effects etc are already loaded up. With 1.5 i've only had one or 2 crashes and it was when i was adding effects or a complex sound during a full project, probably had a CPU lock up or something.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
it would also be sick if the controller itself was customizable with thicker pads and buttons maybe a different color lcd screen etc. Their forum seems to have alot of impact on the updates though.