"Ipad" serious production tool, or a toy?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
I have recently been watching some youtube tutorials where people are controlling midi / triggering clips in Ableton with an Ipad.

Ableton is center to my setup, so this really sparked my interests, it would be nice to ditch some bulky midi controllers for a nice sleak controller - i would even use midi keys. The cost of a ipad 2 doesn't justify getting it just for controller.

So my question is how "professional" is some of the music synth programs on it? Like the samplers, and drum groove box's. I think I would be sold if I knew I could midi-time lock some of those samplers or synths to ableton.

The main factor steering me away from a ipad is that you can't run 2 things at once (or can you)? Like for instance what if I had the program "touchAble" synced to control ableton, and then wanted the korg program "ielectribe" playing drum beats at the same time.... I would want to switch back and forth from touchable, and ielectribe without any sound drop outs.

is this possible?

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
yea I was bored at work and researched it most the day.

I think like you said give it a year or 2.

when the ipad 3 drops, or do major upgrade of ios5 this might happen. I don't think i'm going to sell of any gear or my groove boxes for a ipad.

I clearly see the ipad replacing a lot of studio gear in the future. To control ableton currently I have 2 akai controllers, and then have some analog drum box's. Soon with a ipad you might be able to use all those in 1 sleek screen. sexy.

picture your laptop with a wireless connection to your computer banging out beats.

Sep 25, 2005
They haven't caught up with the software yet. The only thing I think it's good for right now is a few synth apps (korg, moog) that sound pretty good. Midi interfaces are coming out now so you will be able to run soft synths without using processing power on your computer. http://www.ikmultimedia.com/irigmidi/features/. http://www.alesis.com/iodock. http://line6.com/midimobilizer/. As far as I know they haven't developed an effective daw on iPad yet.. I've only tried the fl version and didn't like it. I heard there's a reason and an ableton live one out too. My guess is that soon all the big synth companies w I'll jump on board and start developing apps. Then we will see the potential for the iPad in a serious studio.

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
If ipad could run 2 programs at once, like my netbook or laptop - like tabs to where I can flip from program to program... I would be sold. You could use a midi controller app, controling your laptop, sync'd with a sampler or drum machine app.

I play live a lot, right now my setup consist of 3 controllers ( and my Korg ER-1). Be nice to have one controller, and just ipad.

tell then i'm waiting, i'm sure the day will come soon

Apr 26, 2006
How does the sensitivity of velocity work on an iPad? I've always wondered that. :ermm: I mean it's just a flat screen, unlike actual keys or rubber pads.

I'd personally would rather just stick to a laptop + standard midi controllers if I want a mobile setup.

But yeah, I say give it a year or so and it'll probably evolve. Some of the music apps seem pretty cool, but I would rather run programs on my computer.

Apr 20, 2005
^^^people r so different when it comes to making beats. some people need that "physical" feeling connection when they hit the pads or keys. some people r okay with just clicking a away on the mouse. thats how i am. i dont need to hit a pad to feel the kick or snare etc. i dont need a keyboard that feels like the real piano. but some people need that feeling.

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
I reccen the screen is velocity sensitive... but if its not, that would make it super weak, with zero expression.

I don't want to get rid of all my gear, but it'd be nice to minus a few. This is my current set up: