INSPIRED BY OTHER BEATS..

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 25, 2005
when making a beat, am i the only one who gets inspired by a beat i just heard, and the more you go along, it turns into a remake of that beat with your own twist? hella frutrating when it happens..what do you do in that instance though? scrap it? keep it to the side? use it anyway even though some cats tell you its a blatant "jack"? i havent completed a beat 100% that i like enough to use anyway...its a hobby...

Apr 25, 2002
Actually remaking other peoples beats helps you learn structure and how different elements fit together, and layering. It doesn't really matter how much it may sound like someone elses, you gained experience making it.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
different beats will inspire me to make different shit.....I might take elements, like say nuthin but a g thang, the loop is at one key for the first bar, then up a key for the next 2, then back down to the original key for the 4th....I might fuck with a loop like that....or the way a hihat will roll into and off of a snare, I might use that.....or hell, I may like a beat and just replay it....shit can still slap...look at j. stalin's "808", it's just the "born to roll" beat but slightly flipped, and it sound clean

B.C.

Sicc OG
Mar 12, 2005
Actually remaking other peoples beats helps you learn structure and how different elements fit together, and layering. It doesn't really matter how much it may sound like someone elses, you gained experience making it.
That's exactly how I learned. I used to play a lot of old school stuff from the mid 80's and it started coming together. I developed an ear for music and then I could play just about anything that I heard. I took it a step further and decided to take piano lessons to learn how to read music. But I recommend anyone that's just starting on beats try this approach.

Apr 7, 2006
Nothing wrong with inspiration. Music I listen to is such a heavy influence on what I do. Sometimes when I do tracks I remake something I previously heard and alter it to make it my own. It's a great way to learn how certain things work.

Apr 25, 2002
That's exactly how I learned. I used to play a lot of old school stuff from the mid 80's and it started coming together. I developed an ear for music and then I could play just about anything that I heard. I took it a step further and decided to take piano lessons to learn how to read music. But I recommend anyone that's just starting on beats try this approach.
Hell yes! There were a lot of musicians and producers killin it in the 80's...Way too many to list but I'll say this.. If you're trying to learn how to play, you better study the late 70's thru late 80's -- especially around the middle. That whole era was ahead of it's time if you ask me and anyone who is funky now is a student of that music.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I kind of model stuff off of other songs but i think i usually switch it up so it isn't super obvious

May 25, 2005
cool people....now heres a lil twist...does anyone know the law concerning replaying stuff? old or new? whether it be free mixtapes, or in store albums? i always get hella mixed info on this matter..

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
The whole mixtape thing itself is illegal. But when it comes to what you're asking about you need to understand derivitive works and interpolations. After this you need to dig up info on sound recording copyrights as opposed to musical work copyrights. Sound recording rights pertain to the actual recording/recorded version while the musical works pertains to the song itself. Does this make sense? Finally, this will help you.

http://emusician.com/remixmag/how_to/mixing_remixing/beat_redux_technical_feature/

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
^^it'll make sense after a few slow reads haha...but thanks, im gonna look into that...looks like an interesting read, i love shit like that...
By all means take your time, and you should probably back it up offline for future references. There is a lot of info on the site, but that article in particular pretty much answers your questions. Page 3 is also important if you're particularly interested in recreating the sound quality of whatever it is you're trying to replay.

Jun 9, 2005
www.kevwestbeats.com
cool people....now heres a lil twist...does anyone know the law concerning replaying stuff? old or new? whether it be free mixtapes, or in store albums? i always get hella mixed info on this matter..
basically you still have to pay a clearance on replaying music it just costs less there are 2 clearances you have to pay for when u sample the actual recording. i forget the actual names i know ones mechanical and the other i forget