Improving a "Home studio"

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 10, 2006
What's good yall? Im lookin for advice on how to improve this lil home set up I got so I can get the best sounding vocals possible from my set up.

I'm working with Pro Tools LE, MBox2, MXL-4000 condensor mic and a AT2020 mic as well. I'm aware that improved sound quality on vocals has a lot to do with the mixing and mastering but i understand i can also help improve that by adding hardware to my set up. Any suggestions? Greatly appreciated.

-Gu

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
I find an external Tube Amp, and Compressor really makes for a nice recording... warms up any mic and gives it more that "big studio" Feel.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
maybe look into some sound treatment in whatever room your using too, They have some one stop shop options out there that I always wanted to check out.

I think it would be awesome to know more about the math behind acoustics and sound treatment. Theres probably some sort of rough math formulas to produce nice mixes using the different types of frequencies in relation to their volume and placement within a given mix. I know alot of math is behind how certain effects and dynamics work, we only scratched the surface on that type of shit at the conservatory. I think alot of people would drop out of that school if it was as mathy as some super audio nerds could make it. Math is probably my most dreaded subject but I could relate it to something i like to do I could probably get into it alot more

Oct 20, 2008
The best thing you could probably do is acoustically treat your space. To get a good vocal you need to get a good recording from the beginning. You know how some vocals have that boxy sound to them or they sound small...its probably because the area they were recorded in sucked acoustically. Foam treatment is not they way to go, no matter what everyone says. You need broadband bass traps. Look up gik acoustics. A couple other things you could do is step away from cheap condenser mics and get a decent dynamic. It will cut down on the sound coming from the room. Also get a decent preamp to push the dynamic.

Apr 10, 2006
@Sick Wid It yeah i feel you on the acoustics of the room, this is something i am fixing right now in my "booth"

Oct 20, 2008
For a mic, sm7b. Great mic IMO but you need a lot of clean gain to make it right. An RNP, Grace 101, even a ART MPA with a tube swap would suffice. If your booth is in a closet you need to squash that idea and move into a bigger area. The acoustics of a closet are horrible.

Apr 10, 2006
up to $500 or so on mics. I was lookin at this PreSonus Studio Channel Tube Channel Strip on Musicians Friend for $300. Anyone have any prior experience with it?

Apr 10, 2006
Also on the closet idea, Its 2ft by 5ft available to me and I will be hitting the whole thing wit 2" Auralex studio foam. Will this still help the "closet booth" idea? Its pretty much all i have available to me without spending a grand on the portable booth on Musicians Friend

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
up to $500 or so on mics. I was lookin at this PreSonus Studio Channel Tube Channel Strip on Musicians Friend for $300. Anyone have any prior experience with it?
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...16-recommended-microphones-500-700-range.html

Personally I'd go for a Shure 58 and spend the rest on good sounding pre.

Also on the closet idea, Its 2ft by 5ft available to me and I will be hitting the whole thing wit 2" Auralex studio foam. Will this still help the "closet booth" idea?
It could be better and it could be worse. What is good is the dimensions aren't multiples of each other. What is bad is there isn't too much space, the insulation inside the walls themselves aren't good, the walls aren't too good either and what about ventilation? You can make it do, but the main thing you need to be concerned with is if you're trying to keep the sound inside the booth or if you're trying to keep outside sound from getting inside the booth.

Apr 10, 2006
ok i feel you on the closet idea, ima see tonite how it sounds. on the Shure 58's i got a pair of the wireless ones we use for our stage shows. would this really be the best replacement for my condensor mics?

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
ok i feel you on the closet idea, ima see tonite how it sounds. on the Shure 58's i got a pair of the wireless ones we use for our stage shows. would this really be the best replacement for my condensor mics?
The "best" is subjective and rooted in your opinion, experience and desired goals. However, I would use a shure58 before I used the mics in your setup.

Apr 10, 2006
ah ok gotcha never thought of using them for recording mics. Ima try it out and go from there. Appreciate all the input you've given vato. Good lookin out

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
If you're using the PG58 that is a different mic from the one I'm suggesting you use which is the SM58. The frequency response and rolloff between the two are different.

I don't know how yours would sound in a recording setup, but try it out and see if you like it.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I don't really record alot of vocals but I heard alot of good stuff about those reflection filters out there, i heard they make a big difference if you don't have a booth.

Mar 11, 2004
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...16-recommended-microphones-500-700-range.html

Personally I'd go for a Shure 58 and spend the rest on good sounding pre.

It could be better and it could be worse. What is good is the dimensions aren't multiples of each other. What is bad is there isn't too much space, the insulation inside the walls themselves aren't good, the walls aren't too good either and what about ventilation? You can make it do, but the main thing you need to be concerned with is if you're trying to keep the sound inside the booth or if you're trying to keep outside sound from getting inside the booth.
i just moved from my old apartment and im a lil curious about the second part u were talkin about..i always made my booth(was a walk in closet probably 4ft by 6ft or so not real sure) i made mine to keep the outside sound out..is it more important to keep the sound inside the booth in? or the sound outside out? ive already had 2 different houses and both times the booths were in a closet now im hoping we build a studio in the garage..do u kno anything about the layout of a booth? i kno the walls shouldnt b square..like it should have 5 walls instead of for or wat not..im not sure how to word it...and im also thing about buying a portable booth off vocalbooth.com any word on those?