if i get a good microphone do i need a good mixer (mbox)???

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 15, 2003
im not sure how to phrase this, but what im wondering is... if i buy a good microphone, do i need a good mixer (mbox thing) or can i just buy a basic one??

will a basic one decrease the quality of the recording? or will it be fine since the mic is good?

i already know im gonna need to master it to get it to sound good and stuff, but what im mostly wondering about is weather or not a bad mixer will not let a good microphone fully shine...

im thinking about getting this mixer...

and this mic...

id like to save some money if possible, but if the mixers gonna fuck up the quality ill save up a little longer...

can anyone help me out?

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
i guess you want a pre amp? or a mixer with a preamp i suppose, but, just stick with this rule, a crappy mic will sound bad, a crappy mixer will make a good mic sound bad. Basically, i think, the weakest link in your chain will make the other components suffer.

May 15, 2003
i guess you want a pre amp? or a mixer with a preamp i suppose, but, just stick with this rule, a crappy mic will sound bad, a crappy mixer will make a good mic sound bad. Basically, i think, the weakest link in your chain will make the other components suffer.
ok, so do you know if mbox2 is a decent pre-amp? i was thinking of getting that m-audio one since its 100 dollars cheaper, do you know if its alot worse than mbox2 though?

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
It all about the preamp and the quality of the converters of the interface. You dont have to spend big money on a mic to get a quality recording IMO. Theres a couple mics out there that are under 100 bucks that will perform just fine

I have a focusrite interface that is probably serious overkill for my setup but the pres are supposed to be the best in its class for 5 bills. You probably messing the m-audio shit because you are working with protools m-powered right? I think the profire 610 has a couple of m-audios higher end pres. Or you can get a tube condencer with its own pre and run it through one of the line ins, depending on your price range. Theres a couple of tube mics for around 400-500 bucks unless your dead set on that mic and you can get an external pre along with it.

You should be fine though, ultimatly its the quality of the converters on your interface that will give you your best recording