How much longer until there is no new music?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

DFW

Jan 13, 2009
I'm not really that knowledgeable in the subject but there are only 12 keys. How much longer do we really have until every combination for a melody has been used?

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
flats, sharps, chords, different octaves....there may be unintentional repetition but there will never be "no new music"

Apr 26, 2006
Not everything is played the same, not everything uses the same sounds. There's just no way in hell music will run out of combinations of notes. There's no way to keep track of what has already been used anyways so there's really no way to tell.

DFW

Jan 13, 2009
Do you even know what a melody is? 4 note melodies, 8 note melodies, 100 note melodies...hmm, yea never gonna happen. Thats not even considering the rhythm component nor accents.
I see what your sayin, but if we are talking about hip hop, for example, there's not going to be any 100 note melodies. Most of the them are much shorter.

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
Not everything is played the same, not everything uses the same sounds. There's just no way in hell music will run out of combinations of notes. There's no way to keep track of what has already been used anyways so there's really no way to tell.
there actually is a melody search engine i think. I forget where i saw that but there is one indeed.

Apr 26, 2006
there actually is a melody search engine i think. I forget where i saw that but there is one indeed.
There might be, but there's no way to tell that the search engine covers every melody ever thought of. Who is to say that the search engine is 100% reliable source.

Sydal

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
There might be, but there's no way to tell that the search engine covers every melody ever thought of. Who is to say that the search engine is 100% reliable source.
EXACTLY! There are people out there that nobody has ever heard, that create new shit by the hour. So, it's not going to be 100% accurate.

In any case, music will never have "no new shit". It's just not possible. Too many sounds, too many ways to fuck with it. If you ever run out of sounds, you can make your own, and come up with a new way to lay it out. Music is like numbers...there are many solutions out there already, but some smartass is always going to come along and make new ones.

Apr 26, 2006
Yeah there's just too many possibilities to run out. Take covers and remixes, they don't always sound the same as the original, regardless if some of the melodies are the same.