Got a new mic on the way

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
Since transferring schools and getting a new job i've been encountering alot of opportunities to record people. i've been helping out a dude in one of my classes with his sessions with this lesbian folk singer chick lol and met a couple people at work that rap.

I went ahead and picked up a Rode NT1A from sweetwater, any feedback on it? This will be my first mic since i've been only making beats for a long time. I didn't want togo overboard on a first mic since i needed to get mic related accessories like a stand and this one came with a shock mount and a pop filter. I had a couple other mics in mind but i was sold on this one by the sales rep. I was looking at a couple of tube mics but heard they may not be too complimentary to rappers which i think i'll be recording exclusively. Some of my secondary choices were a rode ntk and an Avant CV-12 which i might pick up in the future for singers.

The dude i'm helping with the folk singer chick is more of a singer himself and i wanted something to accentuate his voice (no homo) to make his recordings sound better since hes using a pretty low end mic at his studio.

The tubes would be good for them but i'm sure the NT1 would be an inprovement on what hes using now. B4 getting another mic i think i might get a nice preamp to bring to studio sessions and for my own lab. Im thinking the UA one that you can switch from Tube to solid state

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
picked up some sony MDR headphones too, i don't really know shit about headphones though just picked them because they were one of the most popular choices and they look alright. It would be cool to have a second reference and whatever artist i record is gonna need a set of phones

Jun 24, 2006
Headphones should be fine as far as the mic I have no idea what kind of tone it will give you but I will say I have never gotten a pop filter that came with a mic that was worth a damn. Not even the Blue mic I purchased although its better than others I have gotten. You can drop around 60-80 on a pop filter that will do a great job vocal wise. I'll try and get you the name of them. The one I got is a Stedman. Also a Vocal reflexion filter by SE will do wonders to soundproofing vocals. I think they run around 300 but are well worth it.

Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
Headphones should be fine as far as the mic I have no idea what kind of tone it will give you but I will say I have never gotten a pop filter that came with a mic that was worth a damn. Not even the Blue mic I purchased although its better than others I have gotten. You can drop around 60-80 on a pop filter that will do a great job vocal wise. I'll try and get you the name of them. The one I got is a Stedman. Also a Vocal reflexion filter by SE will do wonders to soundproofing vocals. I think they run around 300 but are well worth it.
What he said...especially in regards to the pop filter and SE Reflexion Filter.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
Well we'll see i guess, the previous model had alot of posititive reviews not too many negititive ones.

Oct 20, 2008
the one thing you should know is that your mic is only as good as the preamp you got pushin it....another good mic that gets great reviews is a shure sm7b, a little pricey but worth it.

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
Invest in a vocal pre-amp and compressor... you will get more of a "big budget" sound if that makes any sence...

I run through some cheap presonus amp, and comp with a cheap oktava 319 shit sounds super solid