Are the days of 3rd party instrument plug ins coming to an end?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 9, 2005
www.kevwestbeats.com
I know there seem to be more vsts out there than ever but it seems like every daw out there has everything one could want or need to make music especially for those of us who simply use presets on workstation style vsts like Kontakt, Halion Sonic, Sample Tank ect. It seems like everyone's favorite DAW has turned into a complete music production studio on its own so that being said is there anything out there that is truly unique to the market that is not in every daw out there? Are the days of new 3rd party plugs coming to an end and the days of just building new libraries for what is already out upon us? I think it is.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
I'm not sure I understand your question, but if you're asking if, or suggesting that, DAW manufacturers are going to make third party products/companies obsolete then the answer is no. You have new 3rd party plugins and apps popping up all over the place so none of this is going anywhere anytime soon.

Jun 9, 2005
www.kevwestbeats.com
There are tons of new ones yes but with the stuff coming with DAWs these days are they really needed or useful. How close do you think we are to having no need for 3rd party stuff what so ever. Imo I think we are headed in that direction.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
There are tons of new ones yes but with the stuff coming with DAWs these days are they really needed or useful.
DAWs haven't really been coming with anything new per se. Things have been revamped and streamlined because technology has advanced, but you've always had plugins and vst instruments.

Usefulness depends on what you actually consider useful or needed. Software isn't going to replace hardware, hardware isn't going to replace software and software isn't going to replace software. Technology will advance, things will become more user friendly, more streamlined, company A may buy out company B, but you're always going to have 3rd party stuff. Many of the 3rd party software companies are owned by, or run by, musicians and engineers so they aren't going anywhere.

How close do you think we are to having no need for 3rd party stuff what so ever. Imo I think we are headed in that direction.
Technically you don't "need" any third party software. You want third party software because it has it's own sound/color.

Question: If you had to MIB in pro tools, would you rather use the stock plugins or a combination of waves, urs and mcdsp?

Jun 9, 2005
www.kevwestbeats.com
U make great points. I try to steer from the fx side of the convo because I generally only use Record and its internal fx for every mix I do. I've arranged composed remixed and edited in PT but never mixed with it. Mostly due to me not owning it or the plugs you mentioned except waves. I did have the diamond bundle but deleted it because I prefer to mix in Record because I know it and Reason so well

Apr 26, 2006
Nope, because everyone is still trying to find their "perfect" choice of tools that suite their needs.

For example, that Fabfilter Pro-Q vst pretty much suites all my surgical EQ needs. More so than any other EQ I have used in the past.

Take a look:

So sick. :cool:

I'm always looking for good synths too, especially VA synths. I have yet to find one go-to VA synth. Though I do really love the freeware Synth1 vst.

Jul 12, 2002
Fab-Filter Pro-Q is what I've been using to EQ my individual tracks most recently. The rest of their plugs are supposed to be good as well but I haven't gotten a chance to implement them yet.

Apr 26, 2006
Fab-Filter Pro-Q is what I've been using to EQ my individual tracks most recently. The rest of their plugs are supposed to be good as well but I haven't gotten a chance to implement them yet.
Their new Limiter is sick as well.

All their plugins are pretty much dope.